how do you treat visitors or how are you treated at other schools?

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
crud........ you got me on that one bro'...... :)

Al pacino, in Dog Day Afternoon, in front of the bank, (with all the money in his hand):tantrum: Remember:xtrmshock

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DDDDOOOHHHHHHH, you got me ..... yup yup, it comes back to me now...okay, okay....here's one for ya,
"All my life I've always wanted to be a wise guy"

well now, let me see,,mmmm!!! could it "Goodfellows" :jaw-dropping: yes i t is!!! (it better be):wink2:

OP
B

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
ding ding ding ding...... we have a winner.... "okay sir, pick anything off the shelf here for your prize...anything between the kupie dolls and the pencils, between the rubber vomit and the erasiers, yup basically on this one shelf right here, but pick anything"...... (now, name that movie)

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ding ding ding ding...... we have a winner.... "okay sir, pick anything off the shelf here for your prize...anything between the kupie dolls and the pencils, between the rubber vomit and the erasiers, yup basically on this one shelf right here, but pick anything"...... (now, name that movie)

i got to tell you that you have to be a "jerk" if you don't know this :wink2:

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
hijack.med.jpg

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Things seem be drifting a bit here from the OP, guys... I think it's probably too good a topic to let it just meander off in a bunch of different directions.

My question is, just how common is the OP's kind of experience, compared with the response we all hope for in that situation, a friendly welcome from people anxious to put their best foot forward? It might be worth doing a poll on this, and seeing what the majority of the people responding found when they visited another school. My guess is that the experience would be, for most respondents, far more pleasant than the OPer's... at least, I'd hope so....

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sorry guys i know things got off topic,:( sorry it won't happen again

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Things seem be drifting a bit here from the OP, guys... I think it's probably too good a topic to let it just meander off in a bunch of different directions.

My question is, just how common is the OP's kind of experience, compared with the response we all hope for in that situation, a friendly welcome from people anxious to put their best foot forward? It might be worth doing a poll on this, and seeing what the majority of the people responding found when they visited another school. My guess is that the experience would be, for most respondents, far more pleasant than the OPer's... at least, I'd hope so....

Ive never attended a seminar but have visited several training places. NEVER have I gotten any attitude remotely as childish and unproffessional as the OP's. That is BS and I would have wanted my money back. The rolling eyes and making faces bit would have triggered at the least a verbal confrontation with me.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive never attended a seminar but have visited several training places. NEVER have I gotten any attitude remotely as childish and unproffessional as the OP's. That is BS and I would have wanted my money back. The rolling eyes and making faces bit would have triggered at the least a verbal confrontation with me.

I had exactly the same reaction. I can't believe that this is a general pattern... it sounds like something very unusual. With that kind of attitude, I don't see how anyplace could stay in business very long... how could you keep your clientele?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same reaction. I can't believe that this is a general pattern... it sounds like something very unusual. With that kind of attitude, I don't see how anyplace could stay in business very long... how could you keep your clientele?
I've never encountered a particularly negative attitude at a seminar or clinic. I've had some very good experiences with other schools... and a few that weren't too interested in talking to me when they realized I wasn't going to be another source of money for them.

Let's be honest... a commercial enterprise can't be as welcoming as a school that's just a sideline. Add concerns like insurance and lawsuits, and I can understand some less than welcome approaches.

Also, I wasn't there; I didn't see the behavior, I don't know who it was actually directed at... and I didn't see the OP's behavior. It could be that they did or said something that was misinterpreted or misunderstood. It doesn't excuse rudeness, but it may mitigate it.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
from the welcome i got as a newcomer i hope i get more of the same if and when i visit others. my sifu is a very chilled guy.i am sure he would welcome any visitor or guest. very little of the threatened behaviour i used to get in karate.they were extremely hostile form one style to another-always one upmanship!
matsu

OP
B

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
Well, it is the first time I experienced it, and I wouldn't have known the worst of it had my g/f not been sitting there to see the Sifu's actions when my back was turned. The sad part is, this is a reputable school with very reputable lineage, and yet they must have a lot of insecurities about themselves. The Chi Sao I witnessed was also pretty poor, I think this is a case of "believing their own hype" and thinking they're "IT" and when others show up they feel their fantasy world is being threatened. I've been very welcome in many other places across the country. It just goes to show you, no matter who, attitudes can still prevail if we lose our humility.
Blessings to all,
BFL

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and my fiance' who was sitting against the wall noticed as I walked away from the Sifu, that he actually made faces at me and rolled his eyes. BFL

Al Gore is teaching Martial Arts now? Seriously though, People need to get over themselves. I just attended a "gathering" with representatives from a variety of styes generously sharing their arts. The demos ranged from awesome to nearly absurd in my opinion. But regardless of our opinions, we all showed the demonstrators respect. After all, they were kind enough to put themselves out there to share with us. If more people would act like that, maybe the WC community wouldn't always be tearing itself apart .

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes it all depends on how big their Ego is.I met the famous Jim Harrison once (he is in the who's who) He was very polite,not egotistical,he took a derelict,run down building and breathed life into it's foundation,handmade makawara,rock gardens,koi,etc.etc.(you know where I'm going with this)He definitely had a huge aura about him even when standing still.Being young and full of ego,I was eager to tell my tale, He said; "you are in a Dojo,a realm, to learn what I have to offer to you,what can I do for You?" how do you answer to that? It commanded even more respect to someone who I didn't even know.Most people place themselves too far out of everyones reach,forgetting where they themselves started.Of course these days everyone has something to prove.

Latest Discussions