Fook you ... Fook me

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

His take on the simplest WC concept, yet is the most often overlooked.

Let the debate began ...:argue:

Last edited by a moderator:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

No debate from me...I agree., Jut sayin'.....

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

When the video starts out with the common, but highly BS excuse "there's no such thing as correct wing chun" you lose me.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
When the video starts out with the common, but highly BS excuse "there's no such thing as correct wing chun" you lose me.

But..But...But, it sounds so much better when you start out with that preconception. :deadhorse

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've got no problem with what they are saying. Here's an excerpt from a comment I posted as VTSifuSteve on that video about a week ago:

" ...For years I've been teaching that the foundation of WC/VT is a centerline punch. Everything else --tan,bong, fook, pak, jum... that's what happens when your punch doesn't get in and your opponent literally bends your arm into the defense. Your job is to hit, not throw out defenses! Basically what these guys are saying. My first sifu made that clear to me back in 1980."

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got no problem with what they are saying. Here's an excerpt from a comment I posted as VTSifuSteve on that video about a week ago:

" ...For years I've been teaching that the foundation of WC/VT is a centerline punch. Everything else --tan,bong, fook, pak, jum... that's what happens when your punch doesn't get in and your opponent literally bends your arm into the defense. Your job is to hit, not throw out defenses! Basically what these guys are saying. My first sifu made that clear to me back in 1980."

My Yip Man teacher taught the same thing about WC being a strike focused system.

HFY is more conservative, we generally control C.O.G. before striking.

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score

Geezer, your so smart, and you can tell definately A LT guy to start with lol.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Yip Man teacher taught the same thing about WC being a strike focused system.
HFY is more conservative, we generally control C.O.G. before striking.

Interesting. I think both statements are true. Naturally, if you control your opponent's center of gravity you will be in an optimum position to strike effectively.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I think both statements are true. Naturally, if you control your opponent's center of gravity you will be in an optimum position to strike effectively.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW..IMO.. Ip man's wing chun is not just about striking--controlled congruence of some key principles should be there.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

They can be sympathetic or opposite, you can do one without the other and there are times where crashing your opponent can work. I'd just like it to be one of a number of options instead of the only one, or the main one.

What was demo'd in the clip, or at least the sections i watched, was lacking in COG control.

Latest Discussions