how do you treat visitors or how are you treated at other schools?

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
Peace to one and all,
I was just reflecting the other day on an experience I had last year when I visited another family/lineage school for a seminar with a well known Master as guest. I entered the Kwoon, approached the Sifu, very humbly stated who I was, my background and thanked him very much for the oportunity to attend the seminar etc, etc.. I don't like to feel sneaky or dishonest so I'm very open when I visit somewhere if nothing else out of respect for the Sifu and school, that's just the right thing to do.
I was greeted very coldly and actually felt "dissed" from the beginning. The guest teacher (a Master in W.C. and I'll leave it at that) had not much more to say other than propoganda and very little in the way of showing much of anything substantial, maybe he felt he should hold back the secret's eh? After the seminar I approached and thanked the master for sharing his knowledge with us, but was ignored as he walked by. I approached the Sifu and was dissed even more, and my fiance' who was sitting against the wall noticed as I walked away from the Sifu, that he actually made faces at me and rolled his eyes. It only reminded me how narrow minded and self engrandized some schools are. Their's is the best way and the only way and their Sigung is the only Sigung that knows what's up in W.C. I'm pretty sick of it all anymore.
This is not, I repeat not the correct practice for any martial artist much less within W.C. since ours is not an aggresive art, there for, we should be learning humility and "softness" in attitude as well. Personally I know I'm not the best and I know I have much to learn, even as Sifu.
So now the query is, how do you (be honest with yourselves) treat others that visit your school or attend perhaps a seminar hosted by your school? As well, what have been some of your experiences when you've visited other schools or seminars, that is of course if your Sifu let's you. That's all folks, just wanted to get a feel for folks outlooks, experiences and attitudes.
Blessings and Peace to one and all, after all, we're supposed to be brothers right?
BFL

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Peace to one and all,
I was just reflecting the other day on an experience I had last year when I visited another family/lineage school for a seminar with a well known Master as guest. I entered the Kwoon, approached the Sifu, very humbly stated who I was, my background and thanked him very much for the oportunity to attend the seminar etc, etc.. I don't like to feel sneaky or dishonest so I'm very open when I visit somewhere if nothing else out of respect for the Sifu and school, that's just the right thing to do.
I was greeted very coldly and actually felt "dissed" from the beginning. The guest teacher (a Master in W.C. and I'll leave it at that) had not much more to say other than propoganda and very little in the way of showing much of anything substantial, maybe he felt he should hold back the secret's eh? After the seminar I approached and thanked the master for sharing his knowledge with us, but was ignored as he walked by. I approached the Sifu and was dissed even more, and my fiance' who was sitting against the wall noticed as I walked away from the Sifu, that he actually made faces at me and rolled his eyes. It only reminded me how narrow minded and self engrandized some schools are. Their's is the best way and the only way and their Sigung is the only Sigung that knows what's up in W.C. I'm pretty sick of it all anymore.
This is not, I repeat not the correct practice for any martial artist much less within W.C. since ours is not an aggresive art, there for, we should be learning humility and "softness" in attitude as well. Personally I know I'm not the best and I know I have much to learn, even as Sifu.
So now the query is, how do you (be honest with yourselves) treat others that visit your school or attend perhaps a seminar hosted by your school? As well, what have been some of your experiences when you've visited other schools or seminars, that is of course if your Sifu let's you. That's all folks, just wanted to get a feel for folks outlooks, experiences and attitudes.
Blessings and Peace to one and all, after all, we're supposed to be brothers right?
BFL

I am not a Wing Chun practitioner but I treat all people who come to training as I would treat any quest at my house. If I know them from a couple of visits to seminars or if they are a regular student they are like family!
icon6.gif

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Peace to one and all,
BFL

i got to tell you that i have been at different schools and at seminars where i was teaching,and i was NEVER like that to anyone, but because i'm from south jersey (outside Atlantic city) i say what i feel,you should have said something about how he was acting:D in a polite way, after all you paid to see this person:duh: i don't care what title he was hanging around his neck, that don't mean anything!!!!:idunno:, like we say "forgetaboutit",
but to say this about going to other schools, when i go i just go in and sit there and watch, i don't say anything , just watch:rolleyes: , sometime's one of the students will come over and say "hey did i see on tv doing the sticks?"
thats when i leave

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Peace to one and all,
BFL

i got to tell you that i have been at different schools and at seminars where i was teaching,and i was NEVER like that to anyone, but because i'm from south jersey (outside Atlantic city) i say what i feel,you should have said something about how he was acting:D in a polite way, after all you paid to see this person:duh: i don't care what title he was hanging around his neck, that don't mean anything!!!!:idunno:, like we say "forgetaboutit",
but to say this about going to other schools, when i go i just go in and sit there and watch, i don't say anything , just watch:rolleyes: , sometime's one of the students will come over and say "hey did i see on tv doing the sticks?"
thats when i leave:lool:

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
don't know why two came up,,sorry,,thats crazy:jaw-dropping:

OP
B

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Funny, my fiance' and I have a place up in Butler, North Jersey. I'm on contract in central Fla right now. I definately understand what your saying, but "whatchagonnado-right?
It was pretty bizarre and I was very surprised by it all, especially for such a supposedly "authentic" school. My Sifu mentioned afterward, next time, say nothing, just go, observe and be done with it.... it's just sad that anyone would have such a 'tude, maybe he felt threatened somehow or he is insecure about, something, who cares... I actually would have said something but felt like perhaps discretion was the better part of valor..
What part of south Joisey you in bro?

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So now the query is, how do you (be honest with yourselves) treat others that visit your school or attend perhaps a seminar hosted by your school? As well, what have been some of your experiences when you've visited other schools or seminars, that is of course if your Sifu let's you.
BFL

I'd like to think we make visitors feel welcome. A sifu (or at least a senior student) will usually spend a good deal of time with them, answering questions and talking about the art. Students taking their first few classes might feel differently, as our workout is more difficult than some people are used to, and they're encouraged to keep up.

Those times I've gone to other schools and met and worked with other masters, I've always felt a "friendly" vibe. I've never been accepted as a brother with wide open arms the moment I walk in, but I wouldn't expect that...

Cheers,
Trueblood

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With visiting guests, I have been lucky enough to have friendly instructors. For those we host, instructors have had extremely humble attitudes. If it had been like your experience, I'm sure our Guro would not invite them back.
He is pretty good about getting a feel for people before inviting them to the school either directly or from the recommendations of people he trusts.
Was this a complete stranger to your Sifu by chance?

OP
B

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No, my fiance' and I were on vacatioin in another state and there was a seminar being offered featuring a Wing Chun master at one of the local schools there. So I signed up online, paid at the door and went it. My Sifu was not involved in anyway.
Peace,
BFL

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a CMA practitioner who spends a large amount of time in a Goju Ryu karate school watching my duaghters' classes. I have seldom been treated better, be it MA or non MA related travel. There's a fair amount of good natured kidding around - mutual, I would add.

Not only do they not hide techniques or katas, their higher ranked students are eager ro discuss and compare. They've invited me to bring my sifu along, anytime.

In short, as high class/high quality a dojo as you'll find.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Funny, my fiance' and I have a place up in Butler, North Jersey. I'm on contract in central Fla right now. I definately understand what your saying, but "whatchagonnado-right?
It was pretty bizarre and I was very surprised by it all, especially for such a supposedly "authentic" school. My Sifu mentioned afterward, next time, say nothing, just go, observe and be done with it.... it's just sad that anyone would have such a 'tude, maybe he felt threatened somehow or he is insecure about, something, who cares... I actually would have said something but felt like perhaps discretion was the better part of valor..
What part of south Joisey you in bro?

Laurel springs, (near cherry hill) :boing2:next time you come down here ,lets get us a cheese steak:bangahead:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a Wing Chun practitioner but I treat all people who come to training as I would treat any quest at my house. If I know them from a couple of visits to seminars or if they are a regular student they are like family!
icon6.gif

Good post Brian..ALL guests are treated with respect...

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know where Laurel Springs is, nice area. When this contract is done I'll be back up there and you got a deal. Dang, I'm thinking about that cheese steak and making me hungry, haha.
BFL

Hey, "forgetaboutit":wink2: LOL

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey, watchagonnado, right? Did you talk to da guy? about da ting? :eek:)

what ting,r u talking about?? the first ting, or the second thing,:uhyeah:, u keep it up i'll give u a fresh one!!!, (do u know what movie thats from)??:)

Latest Discussions