How do you pay for your classes?

newmartialartist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you all pay for your martial arts lessons? Do you pay each class? Do you pay per week? Do you pay per month? Do you pay per year? Do you pay in cash? Do you use direct debit?

I was just wondering because the club I am training at wants me to pay by credit card or direct debit for a years worth of sessions. They want me to sign a contract allowing them to take out a years worth of payments. The club will take out the payment every month. I'm not sure if this is right or not. :idunno: What if I decided to leave the club before the year has elasped? They will keep taking out the payments. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me, I pay cash monthly for karate training. There seems to be no contracts at the school I attend and I find that refreshing.

Several years ago, while taking tkd, i was pressured towards a contract; but, allowed to make monthly payments. I noted a small degree of favoritism towards contract students; but, nothing that impeded learning.

Many schools use a contract system. Many do not. I would not choose a contract until I was certain that I was comfortable at that school.

Make certain that refunds are available for you should an injury within or without the dojo keep you from completing your year.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Each school seems to have it’s own method of payment. Some like contracts so they can resell them and be sure they get there money and you get billed by a 3rd party, some like checks, or money orders, some like cash.
I like cash but then I do not have a school but a club with limited numbers. All I do is try to pay the lights and overhead.
When I was a student I never paid money, but did many things around the school and my instructors home to pay for my lessons

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pay in cash for those occasions when I train - as this is every week almost without fail, I've offered before now to pay a year up front as it saves me the small hassle of making sure I have the right money on me when I'm going to the dojo.

Sensei, however, prefers not to bind people to financial commitments and does not like to have people pay for those times when they don't train.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I train in karate and kobudo twice a week, and don't pay anything. The setting is informal, and there is no overhead or facilities that would incur any expense...so the instructor doesn't have any costs to pass along.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never ever ask for contract, don't like them and never will.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our dojang doesn't have contracts - if you don't want to be there, they don't want your money.

We pay monthly by cash or check. They don't do anything with credit cards or debit cards - not big enough to get involved in the hassle of it all.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school does direct debit. I like it because I want to pay my instructor to spend his time teaching classes, not to spend it trying to find out who has paid and who hasn't and then trying to collect money from those who owe it. As far as the contract goes, your instructor had to pay a contract to rent the facility that you train in, so it helps him to know what money he has coming in every month so he can make sure his obligations to you (the student) are taken care of (a place to train, lights, heat, etc). If you aren't comfortable with signing a contract don't do it. I am willing to bet there are other options for you. But, while not everyone uses contracts, I would say they are fairly common and nothing out of the ordinary.
Another thing to think of-- sometimes knowing that the money is going to come out of your account regardless helps you get over those nasty times when you would rather just sit and watch tv than train!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you all pay for your martial arts lessons? Do you pay each class? Do you pay per week? Do you pay per month? Do you pay per year? Do you pay in cash? Do you use direct debit?

I was just wondering because the club I am training at wants me to pay by credit card or direct debit for a years worth of sessions. They want me to sign a contract allowing them to take out a years worth of payments. The club will take out the payment every month. I'm not sure if this is right or not. :idunno: What if I decided to leave the club before the year has elasped? They will keep taking out the payments. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.
Read the contract. See what, if any, ways to cancel it are provided. If there's no cancellation possibility... think carefully about signing it.

Contracts aren't evil in and of themselves. They're good for the business; he's got bills to pay, and knowing he's got money coming in is kind of important for him! A year is probably about as long as I'd suggest signing, unless they allow you to cancel it in a reasonable manner. I'd definitely be reluctant about signing a lengthy contract without experience in the system and school. They also protect you from variation in the fees, and spell out what you get for your money.

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The dojo that my children and I train at does not use contracts. It was the first gym we had looked at, and lucky for us there are no contracts. I do foster care and my foster children also take part in the classes, but since they can come and go...never knowing how long a child might stay in my house, it is good to not be tied into a contract. But anyways, we pay by the month, and I opted for direct debit (just like most of the rest of my bills :) ) However, one of my fosters just came to me and might be leaving next month, so I just pay for him separate in cash to avoid all the bank paperwork for a temporary situation.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on how each Instructor runs classes. Most of our Instructors are affiliated with or run classes through a school, church, community ed, or fitness center. That entity then charges students for class and pays the instructor. I don't think any use contracts or would advocate them. To me, using contracts essentially forces people to make a time and financial commitment to class, which should be voluntary. Another reason why I don't believe in full time instructors.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Many schools use EFT, as its much easier to keep track of money, especially if you have alot of students. It also automatically gets withdrawn. As far as contracts go...its going to depend on the school. Some use them, some don't. My suggestion, if you already haven't, would be to sit down with the inst. and review all of your option.

As far as what I do...I pay directly, with a check, to my instructors.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach at a Y - no contracts. Monthly auto-draft is available (and is what most of my students choose), but can be canceled at any time as long as the person cancels at least 10 days before the draft date.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No contract for me ( quite uncommon over here )
We can choose to pay monthly or twice a year, most pay cash but i use a wire transfer as it's handy to track down the expences ;)

@ the TS ;

If i was in your situation i would look elsewhere.
Imho you should never be 'pushed' in a contract , especially if it's over a year and / or doesn't have a cancel option.

OP
N

newmartialartist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a cancellation option but I'm just not comfortable giving out my credit card details like that. I have spoken to the instructor and he said I can give him a cheque for 3 months and then decide if I wish to stay and sign the contract.

I do not wish to be forced into a contract and I am considering either going with the 3 month option to start, or going elsewhere.

Thanks for all your responses.

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My school does not charge a set fee, the main classes which are nearby the teachers house are free and no money is ever taken. The classes where the teacher has to travel to allow students to give whatever they wish. A percentage of the money goes to the teacher to cover his travel costs, the rest goes into the schools treasury to fund the purchase of any weapons.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally don't like contracts. I got burned by one in the past, so I don't plan to sign one again. I just pay by cash.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been paying my instructor $20 a month cash, month to month, for nearly 20 years. The price has never gone up.

I have trained off and on with others, and have paid a bit more, but it was still cash or check, month to month.

I would not train at a school that wanted me to sign a contract -

... They want me to sign a contract allowing them to take out a years worth of payments. The club will take out the payment every month. I'm not sure if this is right or not. :idunno: What if I decided to leave the club before the year has elasped? They will keep taking out the payments...

And this is why. Once you sign the contract, they are guaranteed of their payment - so now it is in their best interest to have you drop out or not show up, so they have more floor space to sell. Sorta like a health club...

I would rather train with people who accept token payments and are mostly looking to share their art.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been paying my instructor $20 a month cash, month to month, for nearly 20 years. The price has never gone up.

I have trained off and on with others, and have paid a bit more, but it was still cash or check, month to month.

I would not train at a school that wanted me to sign a contract -

And this is why. Once you sign the contract, they are guaranteed of their payment - so now it is in their best interest to have you drop out or not show up, so they have more floor space to sell. Sorta like a health club...

I would rather train with people who accept token payments and are mostly looking to share their art.

I also hate contracts for anything, and a direct charge on my credit card or debit account scares me. But I don't think most MA schools that do EFT are out to "take" your money. They just want assurances that you'll show up since you paid for it.

MA schools need to pay for rent, utilities and equipment costs. Staying in the black on their books is a priority, and EFT is a way to make that easier.

Latest Discussions