Problem with new mats. Suggestions needed.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Last Saturday, we opened a new expansion to our school as a seperate floor for the adults. We spent $3,000 on the flooring with a bamboo perimeter surrounding Century's new mats that look like a hardwood floor. The floor looks great as does the rest of the room. We were so proud until we had our first classes on there today and the mats were sliding all over the place. After a couple of classes, we had to move the class back to another training floor.

My question is has anyone else had any experience with these mats? Or does anyone have any suggestions of how to keep the mats from sliding when you have a class on them? It was a bit embarrassing and frustrating and if you could awnser before my wife has a meltdown, I would greatly appreciate it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Saturday, we opened a new expansion to our school as a seperate floor for the adults. We spent $3,000 on the flooring with a bamboo perimeter surrounding Century's new mats that look like a hardwood floor. The floor looks great as does the rest of the room. We were so proud until we had our first classes on there today and the mats were sliding all over the place. After a couple of classes, we had to move the class back to another training floor.

My question is has anyone else had any experience with these mats? Or does anyone have any suggestions of how to keep the mats from sliding when you have a class on them? It was a bit embarrassing and frustrating and if you could awnser before my wife has a meltdown, I would greatly appreciate it.
Have you contacted Century? They may have some advice for you.

Beyond that, maybe some carpet tape on the bottom side?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a material that can go under the mats to help them from slipping, please do not use carpet tape it ruins the backside of the mats. Century carrys the material to pit under for the slipping.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go to someplace like Bed, Bath and Beyond. There you can buy this stuff meant to line shleves and drawers. It's kind of a light, rubberized mesh (Not sticky tape or anything). It comes in rolls and will keep anything on it from sliding. Putting that underneath the perimeters of the mats will keep them from sliding.

It's so giid I use it when i do woodworking, It'll help keep small pieces of wood from sliding when I'm doing routeing operations. Good stuff and pretty inexpensive.

Peace,
Erik

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can also put a border around the mat. 2" x 3"s or something similar that will hold the mats in place by restricting movement.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go to someplace like Bed, Bath and Beyond. There you can buy this stuff meant to line shleves and drawers. It's kind of a light, rubberized mesh (Not sticky tape or anything). It comes in rolls and will keep anything on it from sliding. Putting that underneath the perimeters of the mats will keep them from sliding.

It's so giid I use it when i do woodworking, It'll help keep small pieces of wood from sliding when I'm doing routeing operations. Good stuff and pretty inexpensive.

Peace,
Erik

I have used these in the past great stuff and they really hold down the mats.