How do you handle burn out?

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am new to this message site, and have noticed that there are many people with vast years of experience, so with that being said, how do you handle burn out, or slumps in your training? Do you go on to something else, or work through it?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am new to this message site, and have noticed that there are many people with vast years of experience, so with that being said, how do you handle burn out, or slumps in your training? Do you go on to something else, or work through it?
In the words of Grandmaster Sun Seed:

People starin' hard?
Charge out temple style
Siu nim Tibetan Hung ga

It might sound silly, but it answers your question. You can avoid burnout by burning within.

How do humans burn within? Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every week you work on 4 different set of skills.

1. Facing east, do your skill 1.
2. Facing south, do your skill 2.
3. Facing west, do your skill 3.
4. Facing north, do your skill 4.
5. repeat 1 - 4 N times daily this week.

Next week, you work on 4 different set of skills.

OP
B

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Every week you work on 4 different set of skills.

1. Facing east, do your skill 1.
2. Facing south, do your skill 2.
3. Facing west, do your skill 3.
4. Facing north, do your skill 4.
5. repeat 1 - 4 N times daily this week.

Next week, you work on 4 different set of skills.
This sounds like a very workable plan!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have 40 3 punches combo (such as hook, back fist, overhand).

- The 1st week, I may train 1 step 3 punches (as 1,2,3 for speed).
- The 2nd week, I may train 2 steps 3 punches (as 1 and 2,3),
- The 3rd week, I may train 2 steps 3 punches (as 1,2 and 3),
- The 4th week, I may train 3 step 3 punches (as 1 and 2 and 3 for power generation).

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Burnout happens when your training exceeds your body's and mind's ability to process the learning and you get diminishing results for your efforts. This can lead to spiritual fatigue and even physical injury. A few minutes ago in another thread, I wrote the following, "Everyone has their own timing and should flow with it." I think it applies here.

Varying your workouts as has been suggested may help. Delve into your art's history and philosophy and concepts and study the intellectual side of it. Cross training in a different activity may help also.

Your physical training, your body and your mind have to be on the same timing. If not, one or more of them have to be adjusted so they are in harmony. Sometimes cutting back on workouts by skipping a day, a week, or even years, can be a cure.

(In this last case, you may find yourself "playing around" with it every now and then. When you get tired of playing martial arts and feel like you're missing something, it's time to rededicate yourself, get serious, and jump back in. Chances are you will notice a general improvement in some areas over where you were before the layoff.)

Bottom line, (traditional) martial arts is a lifelong activity, so no need to push yourself to the point of burnout. Listen to your body and spirit. Old karate saying: "Even a plodding buffalo can walk a thousand miles." Steady effort will always get you to your destination.

Last edited:

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Change instructors, try a different MA, train less often, train differently, take a break for a few months. I think you have to figure out what you mean by “burnt out.” Are you bored or not making progress or injured or tired of hitting the ground or pressured for time, or just plain exhausted? The reason may determine the approach.

OP
B

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Change instructors, try a different MA, train less often, train differently, take a break for a few months. I think you have to figure out what you mean by “burnt out.” Are you bored or not making progress or injured or tired of hitting the ground or pressured for time, or just plain exhausted? The reason may determine the approach.
These are all very good suggestions, and I've actually done all of them in the past. I have been training off and on(more on) since 1964 starting with boxing, progressed to karate, then judo, and, around 1982, I began training in an offshoot of Kang Duk Kwan, and stayed with it through injuries, and all the other things that go along with day to day life. At 48 I took up Tai Chi to help overcome a serious knee problem, and fell in love with this art, and have practiced it ever since. My burnout was due to some severe emotional stress, coupled with way too much whiskey. My sons got me some help, and now that I am clean and sober, my practice has been excellent. I am 72 years old, and I am still learning

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't just do the same drills every practice, switch it up occasionally. Sometimes we play martial arts games, one my students seem to enjoy is stump the chump. Basically I close my eyes and they try to submit me and I have to find my way out. Then we discuss what I did replicate it, try to improve it, etc.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes we play martial arts games,
It's always fun to play different MA games,

For example, you win a round if you can

- block your opponent's 20 punches.
- block your opponent's 20 kicks.
- get your opponent into a head lock.
- pick up your opponent's leading leg.

The round stop there and next round will start.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score

If you are a true Martial Artist You will find that you will continue training even when you are doing something else, and if you don't , then you were not a MA to begin with, and should move on.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I take breaks. Either from MA in general (those tend to be short breaks), or from a specific aspect of martial arts (those tend to be longer breaks). So I might devote most of my time to breathing-related forms for over a year, then go 3 years with barely doing any, instead focusing on knife-work or something else.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are a true Martial Artist You will find that you will continue training even when you are doing something else, and if you don't , then you were not a MA to begin with, and should move on.
Why? If I'm doing other things, why must I also be doing martial arts? If I'm not, why am I suddenly no longer a martial artist, and have to stop? I'm not allowed to compartmentalize my activities, martial arts has to be in everything?

OP
B

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, wolfeyes,you'd think that I would learn that after over 50 years of training. I guess I'm just slow on the uptake!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
1639077392068.png

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is in the nature of the beast for everyone at some point. Priorities change throughout life. This can easily be mistaken for burnout. We often feel a sense of guilt when we feel like we are neglecting our art/sport. That is a good thing, but it has to be processed as such. You cannot beat yourself up to the point that you never go back to training. I have seen this too many times.
I have also seen too many people get too much of a good thing and get burned out. So, it truly is a balancing act. Understanding this early and often is the best way to prevent burnout or at least avoiding the negativity of it.
Balance.

Latest Discussions