How do you meet people?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I have been in this dating "slump" and I am not meeting anyone... where do YOU go to meet new people?

There are no females in my office, which is a very small company. I am not in school, except my martial arts school, which has no single girls, and I have a large base of friends, but they all claim not to know anyone single, or claim their single friends are "psycho" and not worth my time.

Ive also tried the online thing... but it doesnt seem to work too well.

I'd love to here where you folks go to meet up.

E

edhead2000

Is there an Arnisador in the building!?!?! Oh Arni, your help is needed!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
So I have been in this dating "slump" and I am not meeting anyone... where do YOU go to meet new people?

There are no females in my office, which is a very small company. I am not in school, except my martial arts school, which has no single girls, and I have a large base of friends, but they all claim not to know anyone single, or claim their single friends are "psycho" and not worth my time.

Try karaoke. You may scoff, but if you can sing or at the very least pretend to sing, You will with out a doubt find a woman.
Sean

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Try karaoke. You may scoff, but if you can sing or at the very least pretend to sing, You will with out a doubt find a woman.
Sean

I Karaoke. There arent that many single girls at the place I go... they come in like 6 guys and one girl... Maybe I need a new place...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

Yes, I am interested in this topic. It would be nice to know the secret ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
edhead2000 said:
Is there an Arnisador in the building!?!?! Oh Arni, your help is needed!!
Another one! Let's get started. Ideas:

Church.

Hanging out in the coffee shop/grocery store/book store/etc. to meet people.

Take a short class, like a cooking class or a comm. college class or something. Or, volunteer somewhere.

Keep working the people you know for a sister/niece/ex-GF/etc.

Ya gotta get out there and mix it up!

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but I met my wife in a rec volleyball league. Everyone is there to have a good time, and it isn't the "bar scene" which some people shy away from.
Sean

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I strongly suggest you DON'T frequent places that hold little or no interest to you just to meet people. If you are not a church goer.. and you happen to meet someone you like at a church function.. well you can figure that one out.. and of course that goes to the opposite scale too.. Bars.. if you're not a bar goer.. and you meet someone at one.. *nodding sagely*

You want to meet someone who's got same or similar interests, if it's Rock climbing or fly tieing.. check out the newspapers for clubs...Or maybe start a club yourself in a hobby or interest that you really enjoy.. Contact the library about holding it there.. or other such locales.... Take some courses at the local schools.. Offer to teach some courses if that's an option.. :) Not only will you be meeting all sorts of new people.. you may just meet the person you're seeking. But you will be making yourself happy by learning or teaching.. and that can be quite gratifying as you quest :D

Just some thoughts ..

Tess

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with KenpoTess that setting out to meet someone with conflicting interests wouldn't be good--the point is, there must be something you like to do where people meet! If art isn't your thing, art museums may be the wrong approach...but maybe a science museum works for you. If you don't like pets, don't volunteer at the SPCA...but maybe at a soup kitchen. The volleyball league is the right sort of idea!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just club one, caveman style and bring her home. That's how Tina got me. :uhyeah:

I know that you're into the homebrew scene. Have you thought about going to any of the homebrew competitions or seminars and looked there?

S

Spud

Match.com or some of the other online dating places. Take your time and do a few weeks of correspondence before you meet.

I know quite a few people who have had good luck meeting people with similar interests and perspectives. If you correspond for a few weeks you can flush out the nutters pretty well.

Been with my sweetie for 2 years now after we met on Match.

K

KenpoGirl

Just posted this in another section, thought it fit in here too.

There's a pool hall here in town, they have started what's called the "Dating Pool". It's speed dating with pool tables. Each single girl gets a pool table the single guys rotate from table to table introducing themselves, they only stay for 8 minutes. This is something I'm seriously thinking of trying, but I want another single female friend to go with me. So I have to convince her.

I'll let you know what happens.

Dot

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spud said:
Match.com or some of the other online dating places. Take your time and do a few weeks of correspondence before you meet.

I know quite a few people who have had good luck meeting people with similar interests and perspectives. If you correspond for a few weeks you can flush out the nutters pretty well.

Been with my sweetie for 2 years now after we met on Match.

Ive been on some of these sites for a while now... My profile on match has been checked out over 500 times, and I have had 3 responses... and they definatly WERE a bit off. I have probably emailed 30+ people whos profiles I found interesting and only 2 have written me back. My odds in this sort of thing are definatly off. Besides... 90% of the profiles I look at want a guy who is either "Athletic and Toned" or who makes 75k a year plus. Im neither of those things at this time. SO I am pretty much throwing money in the garbage there...

I used to meet a lot of girls at work, both employees and customers, before I switched jobs... Maybe I should give up "teching" and go back to "clerking"

K

KenpoGirl

Technopunk said:
Ive been on some of these sites for a while now... My profile on match has been checked out over 500 times, and I have had 3 responses... and they definatly WERE a bit off. I have probably emailed 30+ people whos profiles I found interesting and only 2 have written me back. My odds in this sort of thing are definatly off.
Maybe it's your personal description, hope you don't tell them about you fondness of sharp weapons and beating people up. ;)

Dot
:D

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoGirl said:
Maybe it's your personal description, hope you don't tell them about you fondness of sharp weapons and beating people up. ;)

Dot

I considered this, so I had a friend who is a writer for a college newspaper write my description for me... its ok... I think she did mention my fondness for sharp weapons tho. Hehe. This is what she wrote:

"The term “unique” comes to mind. I've been an extra in several Hollywood films, and now am involved with an independent film company, in front of and behind the camera. I study an esoteric and obscure Japanese Martial art (who’s name is harder to pronounce than it is to perform) and I am a skilled fire breather. I have a soft spot for pirates. I love camping and the outdoors, enjoying summer road trips on my motorcycle. I also brew my own beer, make chain mail armor and jewelry, and collect medieval weaponry. I'm not adventurous all the time, though. I enjoy movies on the couch, walks in the park, and sitting on the swings. I might look like a Pit Bull, but I'm really a puppy. I'm the sort of guy who will listen and respect you as an equal, but still hold the door open for you. My dream girl is willing to have fun without worrying about looking silly. If you are looking to be treated well, and respected as a person, drop me a line."

Dunno... sounds ok to me, but what do I know...

K

KenpoGirl

Oh MY!!! :eek:

Well I'll tell you first off, that description would certainly perk my attention. And, I'm pretty sure I'd have replied to your inquires. You sound like a whole lotta fun.

But I think you may be a little to "unique" for the average girl, who wants a regular 9 to 5'er, that comes home and sits on the couch and watches sports on the weekend.

Just keep pluggin away, take the advice of the people who've already posted, and definitely look for people that have similar interests. You're uniqueness may make it more of a challenge but once you find someone more compatable you certainly will have an interesting life. :D

Dot
:angel:

S

Spud

May I be frank?

You seem a little rich on the martial arts, beer making, medieval armor thing. Not saying that you should be deceptive, but you don’t want to highlight all of your personal traits that may seem a little off the common path.

My gf probably would not have been interested if I had listed hunting, knives, police scanners and martial arts in my profile. :eek: Likewise, I would have been apprehensive about her strong leanings on animal rights and tarot cards or her long list of medical problems. We brought those things up incrementally, after some e-mail and face-to-face time.

So I hear that you like culinary arts, martial arts, history and making things with your hands….. Leave it open for further discussion. Sure, be yourself, but not overly detailed. Your are looking for an invitation to find out more, not a punch list for a partner.

:asian:

S

shasticon

Have you considered taking yoga classes? I dunno about your area in particular, but around here, most of the yoga studios have about a ten to one ratio of women to men. Not only that, you get the side benefit of working on your flexibility, strength, balance, and did I mention that women who are into yoga are often really limber? :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Another one! Let's get started. Ideas:

Church.

Hanging out in the coffee shop/grocery store/book store/etc. to meet people.

Take a short class, like a cooking class or a comm. college class or something. Or, volunteer somewhere.

Keep working the people you know for a sister/niece/ex-GF/etc.

Ya gotta get out there and mix it up!
I use these myself. Sometimes you have to change locations, or hunting areas. ;)

Keep the positive attitude and a happy smile :D

:asian:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shasticon said:
Have you considered taking yoga classes? I dunno about your area in particular, but around here, most of the yoga studios have about a ten to one ratio of women to men. Not only that, you get the side benefit of working on your flexibility, strength, balance, and did I mention that women who are into yoga are often really limber? :D

I considered Pottery.

Latest Discussions