How do you deal with a long enforced break in training?

jamz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Due to a job change, I've had to stop going to my MA classes, and I miss them a lot. It was always a dream of mine to pursue the MAs, and I finally started two and a half years ago. Two months ago I changed jobs and it will be a long time before I will be able to attend classes again.

How do you guys deal with this? Any tips for keeping up and not forgetting everything?

Thanks very much in advance.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set some time aside each week, and practice what you've been taught. Concentrate on perfecting that knowledge until you can return to training.

Fuzzy Foot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While there are pitfalls to training on your own, I say this is more of a break in classes and instruction, rather than training. Meaning.... continue to work on physical training, push-ups, crunches, stretching, etc and continue to practice what you know. No it won't be the same, but until you can get back to class, find a way. No space, not much time,.....believe me you'll find a way if you really want to continue. You can train outside in the summer, kata can be done in small spaces (if need be), grab 10 min here, 20 min there. Then find a way to get back to class ASAP where you'll be much happier.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Due to a job change, I've had to stop going to my MA classes, and I miss them a lot. It was always a dream of mine to pursue the MAs, and I finally started two and a half years ago. Two months ago I changed jobs and it will be a long time before I will be able to attend classes again.

How do you guys deal with this?

Go nuts? :p

seriously i've not yet had the disappointment of having to deal with this but if i never had my shotokan for a long period of time i would go mad.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Set some time aside each week, and practice what you've been taught. Concentrate on perfecting that knowledge until you can return to training.

What he said....

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dropped out of modern JJ due to lack of time in my final masters year in college. I tried getting back into it after I started working, and for a while I did, but as a fresh from college engineer, I had to dedicate so much time to learning about computer programming that it didn't really work out, and slowly my MA dedication crumbled.

Don't make the mistake I made: only get back into MA when you are ready to commit again. Otherwise it'll just be a drawn out disappointment. 2 years ago I got the MA itch back, and had the required stability in my life. That is when I started training again in earnest, first one class per week, and pretty soon 2 classes per week. And I haven't regretted it ever since because I was able to make that commitment again.

If anything: keep your current skills honed. Practice what you have learned so far so that it doesn't go away.

Laus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I once had to take a year and a half away from karate due to a knee injury. I continued to attend tournaments and seminars as an observer/assistant to stay in touch with my art, but I couldn't train which was very frustrating. After much prodding, I took up Tai Chi, which would never have occurred to me otherwise. I eventually found it had improved both my karate and the health of my knee. I stuck with it post-op and actually ended up becoming an instructor for a while.

Maybe you can find something else that suits your schedule. Some schools offer morning and lunch classes - if not, rec centres and YMCAs are worth a look. Your instructor may also have some suggestions. If you are committed to your school there may also be ways you can stay involved while you are "away."

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

How do you guys deal with this? Any tips for keeping up and not forgetting everything?

Continue training, as others have said.

Two questions:

First, what art? Arts that have solo forms, such as Shotokan, taekwondo, etc. all have a nice built in mechanism for solo training. Other arts would be very challenging to practice in by yourself, though it usually can be done.

Second, what is it that is preventing you from training? Is it the schedule, the nature of the job, or the lack of a current school or something else? Just curious.

Daniel

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

What JKS said. Devote some time, either daily or a few times a week, and practice your material.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I get irritable, and fidgety. I'm sure that's completely unhelpful to you, but that's pretty much what I do.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm having a HUGE issue with this right now...I've been on a break for almost a year due to a new job and a new baby. Not only is it driving me crazy, but I've forgotten SO much. I should be going to train every once in a while, but in FL, there are no schools close enough and when I do visit the places where there are schools, I'm so rusty that it isn't worth the trip. It is a catch 22 for me. I've been trying to get back....I started watching a lot of my DVDs and reviewing notes and other training materials. Then I plan to just start an hour or two a week reviewing material until it comes back. Without a real school, there are no other options.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go nuts? :p

seriously i've not yet had the disappointment of having to deal with this but if i never had my shotokan for a long period of time i would go mad.
Yeah, the only answer that occurs to me is "Not well."
:p

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't get it. Other than for injury, there are no 'long enforced break in training'; and even injury only modifies it.

I train all the time, sometimes physically, sometimes mentally, but continuously. A lot of my training involves and instructor and partners, but when those are not available, my training just turns more inward to work my best at perfecting what I already know.

Right now, I'm in Omaha for a three month contract. Haven't found an instructor yet, but I'm still training (already working on how to adapt belt techniques to security-card zip threads : )

Training is a day to day quest for yourself; usually with an instructor, sometimes not.

Latest Discussions