How did you end up with the right instructor for you?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
Brandon,

That's awesome to hear. :) Something I'm curious about with regards to the teacher-student relationship is whether or not there's usually a feeling of finding a kindred spirit? Earning a shodan from someone you respect deeply would be well worth the 7 hour drive. I hope you're able to do that someday. Good luck!

stickarts,

It's interesting how things can happen like that in life. That's definitely a tribute to the idea of "just keep going, no matter what". I was just going about my life one day, not really looking for anything (consciously at least), and then * BIP * I meet my future wife and mother of my child. I'm thankful everyday for that * BIP * as it helped to save me from myself by reminding me regularly how much further I need to go in life.

Kacey,

Yours is the second story of a great instructor teaching outside of a mainstream dojo. It sounds like you've definitely found "home". 19 years with the same instructor is awesome. I'm not sure if it says something about the instructor when they teach outside of mainstream dojos but maybe it means something afterall. A similar experience I've had while travelling is always finding the best meal at the hole-in-the wall looking place that wouldn't normally attract the usual tourist. This will definitely help broaden my search when I go looking. Thanks!

Carol,

Do you think it's the instructor, the style, or both? I think that the good instructors would be worth staying with no matter what it was that they were teaching. Of course, finding the right art is also a very individual thing... Thanks for the reply. :)

tsshadowchaser,

30 years!! Wow. Congrats! It sounds like the move really paid off!

Xue Sheng,

I thought I read that you have quite a bit of teaching experience on your own. I would think that that would influence your needs and expectations at least a little. I don't really know very much about the Chinese arts yet. Is it generally difficult to find a good instructor? Good luck on that horizon. :)

Paul,

I know what you mean about being nosy. I try to drive as carefully as possible while trying to sneak a peek at new dojos when I'm out and about. That sounds like an art I might look into. Thanks for the reply. :)

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I'm having a similar experience with my own wife. It's great when you have support for something that can take up a bit of the quality-time pie. I started out trying to find my own path but now it looks like we're going to walk it together as a family. I'm a very lucky guy. Congrats on finding the right path with your family. :)

Have a nice day/night all.

Fu Bag

Yes, it is interesting that often times when I was about to give up or wasn't looking as hard anymore is when I got blindsided with meeting the right person or having the right event happen when I wasn't expecting it to really have it all come together for me.
Its all about patience!

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

I hear ya. At this point in my life, I don't even feel like a student anymore. I don't just see holes in my training, I see holes in my entire being. Seriously, the older I get the stronger this feeling becomes. In a way, it really, really sucks but, then again, I seem to be able to learn and absorb things much faster than any other time in my life. I am Swiss Cheese Man!!

You're welcome for the good wishes. It's always nice to see someone find their way home. :)

Brandon,

I guess one way to describe a kindred spirit would be someone who generally thinks like you, believes like you, and that you feel a strong connection to. I was just curious about the kindred spirit thing because it sounds like you have a very close bond with your instructor. I'm sorry to hear about the driving dilemma. Here's to hoping for some good luck in that direction.

Carol,

That's a really cool combination of styles you're doing. How would you describe how that all comes together? It sounds like it'd be pretty kick-butt.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
Carol,

That's a really cool combination of styles you're doing. How would you describe how that all comes together? It sounds like it'd be pretty kick-butt.

It doesn't, except in my head. There are many similarities between Kenpo and Modern Arnis, but I learn them from different people. My Kenpo instructor teaches me Kenpo (and a bit of Iaido) and my Arnis instructor teaches me Arnis. But fortunately for me my Arnis instructor is also accomplished in Kenpo and Iaido. It makes for a fantastic match, even though I cannot train with him anywhere near enough. :)

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had 2 interviewed to instructors before I met my first instructor and inspiration, as soon as we started to talk I was interested and his attitude, demeanor and teaching methods had me hooked.

After we moved it took me almost a full year of interviewing instructors before I met my current teacher who is a female version of my first instructor. Its been 4 years and I'm very satisfied.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Carol,

LOL @ "It doesn't, except in my head.". That's pretty cool. It sounds like you're getting really good training. Congrats on finding the right combo. :)

Fireman,

That's interesting how that worked out. Did both of your instructors have the same instructor? Carol had a good point with what she said about good instructors. Thanks for the reply.

Fu Bag

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
Carol,

LOL @ "It doesn't, except in my head.". That's pretty cool. It sounds like you're getting really good training. Congrats on finding the right combo. :)

The credit goes to my Sensei for understanding that a student can't train with him regularly, yet still reaching for me anyway. :asian:

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I see what you are getting at. Let me share this a bit. Might become lengthy but I will try not to.

When I moved and went to him in '92 I had been training for 8 years at this point. I was ranked as a San kyu but my technique did not reflect it at all. It was this Sensei that corrected my basics and got me on the right track. He was the first to teach me kata even though I supposedly had been training in a shotokan based system. He opened doors for me that I couldn't even imagine could be let alone behing there. He helped build confidence in me that I didn't have. His patience, sincereity, kindness and his abilities in both karate and as teacher I had not ever seen anything like it.

Today my theory is totally different as what it would have been. I am very traditional in my thoughts and practices even though I founded Seijitsu Shin Do and its a newer system. My teaching, technique and practice is traditional. This all came from Sensei. He truly was the turning point in my martial arts career. Unfortunetly I didn't see it until many years later. I thought it was with my first instructor, nope wrong. It was Sensei that opened his doors to me 12 years after I originally left with open arms. The connection between us is different because I am not in Indiana much. But I leaned on him for support this year and he helped me. I can't ever thank him enough for his support.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say that I still haven't found a "home" for my training. I'm still wandering, though I do belong to a gym. I suppose I still need to find an instructor who shares the same Martial Ideals I do.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
bookworm_cn317 said:
I was REALLY lucky! My first instructor WAS the right one for me!
Yep!

Same here. I got lucky; the first formal training I got was with my instructor. 20 years later -- he's still my teacher.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dad told me to go back to class. He said "Begin Tae Kwon Do". It is awesome physical therapy for me. Anyway, I looked at some schools. They were Black Belt factory McDojo's. I went to Moo Sul Kwan, the organization I am familiar with anyway. I didn't know what to expect from the Grand Master or the other teachers. However, it is the best thing I have ever done.

The instruction is great, they are fair and patient. There is an explained reason for everything. Total package is complete. I have never, with the exception of my dad, had such a great instructor as Grandmaster Hildebrand.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had studied capoeira off and on for a couple years, at a low level. Then I graduated from college, ended up in the bahamas for a couple of months teaching scuba diving. That gig fell apart and I ended up back home (Wisconsin). Worked in a restaurant to make some money, and moved to San Francisco because this is where most of the good Capoeira teachers in the US were, at that time. Came out here and began studying with a teacher that my group in Wisconsin had been under. He turned out to be insane, so I left his group, very disillusioned. Thought about quitting capoeira, go do some aikido instead.

Anyway, I checked out the other capoeira teachers, and found one who seemed good. I told her that I was trying to find a job, but didn't have one and very little money yet. She told me that if I posted out flyers every weekend to advertise the class, I could train for free until I found a job and got some stability. I was temendously grateful, and did this for almost 6 months before I was stable enough to pay for classes. She never asked for any money during that time.

I loved my capoeira training and my teacher, and stayed with her for several years. Nevertheless, I was interested in learning some kung fu, esp. drunken kung fu (had been watching a lot of Jackie Chan).

ANother classmate from capoeira had been training with a sifu and learned some drunken. We got to talking about it and later he asked his sifu if he could recomment someone in my area who might teach some. He suggested sifu Bryant Fong. At this time, I never followed up on it.

A year or so later, another fellow capoeira classmate was telling me how he had been studying Chen style Tai Chi Chuan with a sifu. He really liked it, and given my other interests, suggested I might want to check it out. I asked who the teacher was. Bryant Fong. Hmm... that name keeps coming back to me.

So I called him up, got some info, showed up at a class, and I have been his student now for close to 9 years. Still haven't learned any drunken stuff, tho.

During this time I drifted away from capoeira for about 7 or 8 years. Recently I have come back to it again, with the same teacher I had before, and I am feeling quite happy about it all. I was sad for drifting from capoeira, and am happy to be back. I can tell that my teacher is happy to have me back as well. I had been one of the senior students during the time I was training with her.

Keikai

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
It turned out to be really easy. I started because some friends were going to a ju jutsu school so I started going with them. I walked through the door and was hooked on the art and the karisma of the instructor.

He was humble, humerous, caring, friendly and above all very, very good at ju jutsu. His knowledge was boundless and as I got to know him better his love of the martial arts became infectious.

After 35 years with him and 3 years since his death I still have moments when I think "I must ask Jan ... " and then "Oh I can't".

Greg

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not so much the right instructor, but the right style.

During the line up in the first lesson, I felt strange, like there was power in the dojo. Could have been nerves...
I wasn't sure about the first lesson, but after the second, I was hooked! The power and simplicity behind the techniques, and the instructor's obvious love of the art and style made me return.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Carol,

That's great. I think it says a lot about a teacher when they treat their students that way. :)

Brandon,

That's awesome. :) Congrats on the system and best wishes for its prosperity.

Thunder Foot,

I know what you mean......ugh.. Did I say ugh? Oh yes...Ugh!!

jks,

Congrats! :) OK. I'm a little jealous but in a good way. :)

Matt,

That must be an interesting dynamic having had your father being your martial arts instructor as well. Actually, in many ways, it sounds like a really, really good thing. Congrats on getting back into it. :)

Flying Crane,

Your Capoeira teacher sounds like a really good teacher. You really have to love teachers like that. It's interesting how home is home. It doesn't matter how far you venture away, or how long you stay away, home is always home. :D Very good to hear. :)

Greg,

All I can say is....wow. Respect man, respect. Hmm...looks I can also say "Respect man, respect". ;)

Rhea,

That sounds awesome. I don't know that I've ever felt anything like that. Maybe someday..... Congrats. :D

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Fu Bag

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was fortunate in finding a home completely by accident. I had no desire to begin MA. My son who was 6 at the time was studying Shotokan at a youth center close to home. The Sensei and his assistant convinced me an over weight out of shape 30 yr old at the time to come and take a class witha few of the adults. He convinced me to do what I never thought I could or would do. I dropped over 50lbs and have been training ever since.

Sadly he passed away suddenly before I had even been studying a year. It is a tribute to his effect on me that I am still training today.

I Have had other Senseis who were excellent and I have become close to and will always be my Senseis. but he was the one who inspired me to do what I do today.

I have now switched to Kempo after my second attempt at finding a place to fit in and so far I'm starting to feel at home again.

Latest Discussions