How close is close range in wing chun?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going to try one more time and then give up. Check out whatever schools are close to you, and see what "fits", not just the art but the teacher. Kali could be, for the sake of argument, the better martial art but if the Wing Chun teacher near you fits you better you will be a better practitioner because you and the Sifu click. The inverse also applies. If you don't go out there and try you will learn nothing. To quote a personal hero...

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Be "the man in the arena"

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: KPM

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi, can you tell me if what this guy here says about close range is right and common knowledge in wing chun?

Start at 8:00 and then watch a few minutes.

To me what he demonstrates appears to make sense but is this what's generally taught in wing chun?
I have watched instructional videos from chinese sifus and also training videos on the wooden dummy and
from what I remember they were all not as close as he is. Does this mean he's right and most others are wrong
and they are too far away from the attacker/dummy?
i think its depends if you are practicing long bridge or short bridge. no really a right or wrong answer

Sent from my 404SH using Tapatalk

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We do still have long range techniques, but fighting at that distance is safer for us, especially against more powerful and people who have range advantage on you. When I spar with this one guy with longer range i have to get into the clinch otherwise he can hit me at a range I can't hit him, and he knows the same stuff I do so that makes it harder.

You really need to experience things to understand, for all styles. None of us have trained with PB guys so the explanations guy and lfj give use end in arguments lol we have no reference of what they are talking about and have to imagine it from their written explanations. I used to think Alans stuff wasn't that much WC until I started training with him in person and realised wow, this **** is legit as, and its all wc.

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do still have long range techniques, but fighting at that distance is safer for us, especially against more powerful and people who have range advantage on you. When I spar with this one guy with longer range i have to get into the clinch otherwise he can hit me at a range I can't hit him, and he knows the same stuff I do so that makes it harder.

You really need to experience things to understand, for all styles. None of us have trained with PB guys so the explanations guy and lfj give use end in arguments lol we have no reference of what they are talking about and have to imagine it from their written explanations. I used to think Alans stuff wasn't that much WC until I started training with him in person and realised wow, this **** is legit as, and its all wc.
Don't encourage him. For almost a year now he has been basically looking for a consensus of "this is the best Martial art, it beats all". WC, FMA he hits em all up. It's time to isolate him so he either gives up or starts trying things himself.

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score

hi
may i know which lineage are you from?
the reason I asked this is because I am rarely hear people in this forum mentioned long bridge technique

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hi
may i know which lineage are you from?
the reason I asked this is because I am rarely hear people in this forum mentioned long bridge technique

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good wing chun in my experience has both long bridge and short bridge motions
Lieage you ask.Augustine Fong is my sifu and Ho Kam Ming is my sigung.

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good wing chun in my experience has both long bridge and short bridge motions
Lieage you ask.Augustine Fong is my sifu and Ho Kam Ming is my sigung.
thanks

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. I forgot my old data.

No I haven't yet started anything. I simply cannot make up my mind. :(

Every time when I feel like ok I'm just gonna do wing chun for a while I start to get doubts.

I needed to feel like this stuff really works but how? There's so much opposition.

I'd like to do wing chun + something like aikido or ninjutsu where you learn to throw people.

But this seems to dangerous to me. Just looking at how people are being thrown on the mattress

scares me. This seems pretty risky to me in terms of neck injuries or other injuries.

I'd like to learn how to throw but not be thrown.

how are you going to learn how to throw when you've never been thrown yourself? ^^

Latest Discussions