Looking for Wing Chun teaching resources…

Dr.Perception

White Belt
Reaction score
Good day to you all. I just recently joined the forum looking for Wing Chun resources to learn from. I read over a thread concerning Wing Chun online (Authenticity of Learning Wing Chun via a Screen).

Now I would love to attend classes in person but where I live, there are no places where I can go to learn. I live on the Isle of Wight in the UK, the closest one is a ferry ride and a bus ride making it unreasonable. I can not move to another location as I am working on the island. Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Karate are the only martial arts I can find on the island.

Ideally I should have instruction in person to learn Wing Chun, however for the aforementioned reasons, I sadly can not.

What resources would you recommend?

Would getting a Wing Chun Dummy improve my learning? I was thinking of getting a portable traditional Wing Chun Dummy from Ultimate Wooden Dummies. They seem to have good reviews and I talked to the owner who seems to know what they are talking about.

I have a background in Tae Kwon Do from one of the Moo Yea Do schools in California, so I do know some martial arts. I stopped at “candidate black-belt” according to their terminology which was one test away from black belt first degree.

A YouTube search brought up “Master Wong” who has been discussed in some detail here. I was able to learn from some of the videos that I watched and understood the reasoning and concepts he presented in them. As others have pointed out though, he does not teach traditional Wing Chun.

Sorry for the dump of text as I would really like to learn Wing Chun but the circumstances seem to severely limit possibilities of learning.

Thank you very much for all your assistance and time.

OP
D

Dr.Perception

White Belt
Reaction score
The closest Wing Chun School is WCI Portsmouth Wing Chun Kung Fu but not much information is on their web page as to the lineage or even their class times. It does not appear to be possible to learn Wing Chun unless you live near to a studio that teaches it. It‘s an hour and 40 mins away with ferry.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The closest Wing Chun School is WCI Portsmouth Wing Chun Kung Fu but not much information is on their web page as to the lineage or even their class times. It does not appear to be possible to learn Wing Chun unless you live near to a studio that teaches it. It‘s an hour and 40 mins away with ferry.

Maybe you could gather a few folks together and then pay for an instructor to come to you.

OP
D

Dr.Perception

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you could gather a few folks together and then pay for an instructor to come to you.
That certainly is an idea and I’ll see if anyone else on the island is interested. From the people I’ve talked to, no one so far has even heard of Wing Chun Sadly.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That certainly is an idea and I’ll see if anyone else on the island is interested. From the people I’ve talked to, no one so far has even heard of Wing Chun Sadly.

Another course of action you could consider:
Reach out to whatever school or instructor you want to learn from and ask them if you could train for several days vs just one class at a time. Take good notes. Even record some stuff if they allow it. Then go back home and find a training partner to practice with. Even better is bring the training partner with you to the training location. Try to arrange for several days of training per trip. Then you should have PLENTY to work on with your training partner (forms, drills, exercises, etc).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another course of action you could consider:
Reach out to whatever school or instructor you want to learn from and ask them if you could train for several days vs just one class at a time. Take good notes. Even record some stuff if they allow it. Then go back home and find a training partner to practice with. Even better is bring the training partner with you to the training location. Try to arrange for several days of training per trip. Then you should have PLENTY to work on with your training partner (forms, drills, exercises, etc).
1649044690988.png

adamwilliss

White Belt
Reaction score
You can start online. Just know that at some point you will need hands-on training to get good. Some of the things you can learn online are the sequence of the forms including the empty-hand forms and the dummy. The dummy sequence can be learned and practiced in the air without a dummy if you don't have one. There are also some solo drills that can be learned and practiced as well.

My best recommendation is to find a teacher and follow their specific path. Learning Wing Chun from too many sources at once can be really confusing. A lot of teachers have online training nowadays. After doing this for a little while, you can travel periodically to train in person with them.

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good day to you all. I just recently joined the forum looking for Wing Chun resources to learn from. I read over a thread concerning Wing Chun online (Authenticity of Learning Wing Chun via a Screen).

Now I would love to attend classes in person but where I live, there are no places where I can go to learn. I live on the Isle of Wight in the UK, the closest one is a ferry ride and a bus ride making it unreasonable. I can not move to another location as I am working on the island. Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Karate are the only martial arts I can find on the island.

Ideally I should have instruction in person to learn Wing Chun, however for the aforementioned reasons, I sadly can not.

What resources would you recommend?

Would getting a Wing Chun Dummy improve my learning? I was thinking of getting a portable traditional Wing Chun Dummy from Ultimate Wooden Dummies. They seem to have good reviews and I talked to the owner who seems to know what they are talking about.

I have a background in Tae Kwon Do from one of the Moo Yea Do schools in California, so I do know some martial arts. I stopped at “candidate black-belt” according to their terminology which was one test away from black belt first degree.

A YouTube search brought up “Master Wong” who has been discussed in some detail here. I was able to learn from some of the videos that I watched and understood the reasoning and concepts he presented in them. As others have pointed out though, he does not teach traditional Wing Chun.

Sorry for the dump of text as I would really like to learn Wing Chun but the circumstances seem to severely limit possibilities of learning.

Thank you very much for all your assistance and time.
I can teach you traditional wing chun. But you will need at some point partner to get practical learned lessons. Tell me if you are interested 😁

Latest Discussions