mook jong

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi guys
i have a client who will put together a cheap wooden dummy for me to start with.
as you might have read i have only been practising wing chun since feb this yr.

my question is... will it benefit my wing chun learning to ask my sifu to teach me the basics on the dummy.?

i have a private lesson with him every month and we explore a few things he cannot teach everyone in a normal class.

i have requested lok sau /chi sau so i can practise with my son

and wonder if the wooden dummy would enhance or detract from my beginnings onto wing chun.?

big fanx
matsu

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i sometimes wonder if i,m asking dumb questions. i realise it takes an age to become profeccient in any martial art and that practising the basics is the best idea.
i practise at least 3x week plus the lesson and i will be allowed to join the thurs class very soon.
but for me and my borderline ocd-ness about any thing i do i need to learn constantly new things... so sorry if a dumb newbie question.
matsu

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since you asked, my advice is that you just do what Sifu tells you to do.

About the only thing I'd ask him for is "Sifu, what should I practice for our next lesson?"

Cheers,
Trueblood

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE INPUT.
oops caps!
i try to ask sifu for a specific weak area he can see that i then try to attack for the next week.
i wondered if it would slow or speed my progress and thus enjoyment.
cheers
matsu

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I asked the same question once before.I will try to find the post for you.I wanted to learn the Mook Jong for myself,seeing that I could not find a suitable training partner.It made perfect sense to me.Leung Ting quoted in his book "116 Wing Tsun Dummy Techniques" Pg.9 " Such a wooden dummy will help rectifying the delivery of the movements of the driller,in the same way,as a protractor will rectify an angle.If a driller can make use of the wooden dummy to correct his movements,he will be able to improve rapidly. Most fail to realize the relative position between the angle of their movements and that of their opponent,thus losing the "protractor effect"they also fail to realize that the importance of Wing tsun lies in its "simplicity and practicability."
Enuff Said.
Also,here is what I learned when I studied Wing Tsun in this order;slow,proper placement,skill,speed,then power.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i sometimes wonder if i,m asking dumb questions. i realise it takes an age to become profeccient in any martial art and that practising the basics is the best idea.
i practise at least 3x week plus the lesson and i will be allowed to join the thurs class very soon.
but for me and my borderline ocd-ness about any thing i do i need to learn constantly new things... so sorry if a dumb newbie question.
matsu
Never be afraid to ask questions.
Many wing chun schools differ in what they teach. In Kamon, we do not work the dummy until a lot later (senior level) as we feel it is important to build up 'stick' and footwork before using it
Other schools teach it the first day.
Neither way is wrong.
It solely depends on how your instructor trains you

As most people have suggested - ask your Sifu if it is worth getting a wooden dummy. He is really the only one who will know if it is right for your particular system

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks again for all responses.

qwiksilver. thats the answer i was hoping to get. some personal info.
i will of course ask my sifu.
matsu

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In Kamon, we do not work the dummy until a lot later (senior level) as we feel it is important to build up 'stick' and footwork before using it
Same in my school. Just few complementary notes.
Practicing with the dummy does improve defense and close range attacks. You do need to build up 'stick' and footwork before using it, if you want to make the dummy dance.
The dummy is built to fit your size and, since it is a training partner, you should be the one building it. ;)

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
JAV-again thanks for the input.

being mildly impatient which i think even wing chun wont cure i will get it made anyway and i will ask mate to measure it to me etc have researched as much as i could for design sizes etc etc.
i hope to continue for the duration so it will help me keep focused,
i undestand the footwork aspect and i will ask sifu if he can teach me 121 purely for me to work on at home.

kamon guy- thanks for the advice.
matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matsu,

Just a last note - When I was a beginner in wing chun I bought a pair of butterfly knives. Whilst the style I trained in did not teach the knives until senior lvel, they were an inspirational tool. I didn't use them in training, but just having them gave me extra enthusiasm

Same might apply for your dummy. Just seeing it everyday will give you that extra boost

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
haha:jedi1:

it would certainly inspire me to get good enough for sifu to allow me to start on it!!

thanks for taking time to post to me

where are you based mate?
di you see my other question?
lyme regis dorset???

matsu

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Practicing with the dummy does improve defense and close range attacks. You do need to build up 'stick' and footwork before using it, if you want to make the dummy dance.
;)

Very true. My sifu allows students to use the dummy from day one. If there is an odd number of students in the class that day, the one that doesn't have a partner hops on the dummy. Slowly but surely the practitioner will relate how the dummy simulates a training buddy. Sooner or later they will develop the idea behind it and beable to freestyle at will. Getting the dummy to dance happens after proper footwork is achieved.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
haha:jedi1:

it would certainly inspire me to get good enough for sifu to allow me to start on it!!

thanks for taking time to post to me

where are you based mate?
di you see my other question?
lyme regis dorset???

matsu
I'm based in London area and you are always welcome to pop down to my class for any hints or pointers (please ask/tell your Sifu first though)
I don't know any guys in Lyme Regis but there must be a school there
Have you tried the internet (google)?

mutantwc

White Belt
Reaction score
Matsu,

I agree with many on here that it may depend on what your Sifu intends or believes you are ready for.

My experience - I started Wing Chun in February of this year also and at the middle/end of March my Sifu had a Mook Jong sign up sheet. It was an ancillary class with an extra fee, but I knew if I was allowed to take it that I really wanted to.

I asked and he said that whether I learn all the hand forms first or wooden dummy doesn't matter (the order that is). So, I signed up and finished all 11 forms last week.

In all honesty, it's absolutely helped my Wing Chun. I wouldn't say that my Mook Jong technique is great nor is my training... but it has given me an absolutely new perspective and reference point. I can say that Mook Jong has helped several of my hands, for example my bong sau is MUCH better than when I first started.

You might assume it was from training it, but since we don't work bong sau daily and I was working bong sau daily on the wooden dummy when we did get to a day when we were working with bong sau or kwan sau (incorporates lower bong sau) I had much better form.

This is just my experience, I hope it helps. As other folks have pointed out, what you learn will be up to your Sifu to decide.

Cheers,
mutantwc

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is a very loose statement from your instructor
Whilst we have stated that every Sifu has a different order of teaching dummy, it is very important in your training which forms you learn first

Learning the dummy can give you a rigid gung lik energy that will influence your training if done early

Similarly, if you learn the three hand forms first you are developing a slightly more relaxed movement to your wing chun

To say 'It doesn't matter what order you do them' is a bit carefree

Are you sure that is what your instructor said?

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
haha i have a private lesson next wed so i will ask him then.# i can see the benefits due to my ocd nature.
i learned lok sau on monday.. excellent and fustrating mentally draining but soooooo enjoyable. loved it. x

matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lok sao is a great drill and done so many ways

It is a fun way of training your arms in a repetitive motion without going on the bags for hours

Yeah clarification from your Sifu would be a good idea

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
are the plans for the wooden dummy on this site the esiest to follow?
i am about to get a mate to make one for me.....hahahahahahahahah
sooo excited!
thanks again
matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stupid question? Of course it is! And, as one of the most brilliant professors I ever had liked to say, "The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask". In my branch or Wing Tsun, the "true" dummy form is taught only after many years of training and completing the three empty hand sets and their applications in chi-sau and fighting. However many sifus have students practice particular movements and sequences on the dummy. This can be very helpful in refining technique since, as Qwksilver often notes, the dummy can act like a protractor to correct your positioning. Right now I don't have a dummy set up and I really could benefit from one. Anyway, see what your sifu says and let us know. Happy training.

Latest Discussions