How black is your Blackbelt

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is a little magazine in Australia called Blitz (sportzblitz.com.au) in it it has a section called how black is your blackbelt where a different school every month tells what it takes to get their belt.
The range between schools is huge and of course every school says that it takes more to get a blackbelt in their system than it does for most others.
Some schools like mine you have to demonstrate every technique from the first grage up as well as develop your own others have to know every technique but only demonstrate randomly asked ones, some only need to demonstrate the blackbelt grade.
What does your school require and is that standard in your art.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My belt is like the inside of a coffin on a moonless night... It is the blackest of the black, and I, Haru, am the black arts blackest great white black master...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tests can vary from school to school, but when I tested for mine, I had to do the following.

Punches and kicks, both in the air and on targets.

Forms/Kata. This also consisted of our 'own' kata, as well as being able to explain movements from various kata.

Self Defense both in the air as well as on someone.

Sparring. This consisted of numerous rounds of both 1 on 1 as well as mult. opponents.

It usually concluded with 2, 1 min. rounds on the heavy bag.

Mike

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Blackbelt test in TKD I had to do about 100 Techniques, all PalGwe patterns, about 15 breaks and verbal test

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
My belt is like the inside of a coffin on a moonless night... It is the blackest of the black, and I, Haru, am the black arts blackest great white black master...
:lol:

"My belt is so black that no light escapes from it..."

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my 1st dan belt has alot of white edges, frayed etc. My newer 2nd is starting to look not so pristine black now with sweat stains but at least it knots easy. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
You beat me to it...

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
The test goes as follows:

Kicks for black belt
SD techniques for black belt and then downwards to white
Shadow boxing
Shadow kickboxing
5 rounds of sparring (last one against two)

In addition, the student has to know all about weak points in the human body, where they are, what kind of damage is caused, how best to damage them etc.

Most important is the display of knowledge of how all the SD techniques work and why they're the best way to defend against such an attack.

~ Loki

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Every kick and variation thereof (jump, spin, jumpspin, etc)
Tae Geuk Forms +po yun(which is from another system added in to allow us a form for probationary blackbelts)
20 self defense techs(one step sparring) +5 weapons defense aginst each knife and stick(or bat) + 5 made up self defense techs
Korean terminology
Sparring: four 2 minute rounds
1 on 1, 2 on 1, 3 on 1, 1 on 1
4 breaks through two - 1/2x12x12 in. boards (two hand and two kick techs to be decided by judges)
1 brick with either palm strike or hammer fist

That's all in order. Exhausting test to go through and the breaks are never easy kicks, alwasy at least one spin kick if not jump spin. But the idea behind it is to push the participant to there limits and to force them to dig in and pull out the energy and will to continue through. As for the color of my belt, its getting very frayed, luckily I will be gettiing a new one if all goes as planned inn august. Testing for 3rd dan.YAY!

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
oh yeah, that includes koryo, I know they changed it so Koryo is supposed to be the second dan form now or something, thats horrible.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My belt is not very black anymore. It ha sturned to a greyish color with a somewhat thready appearance. I do have my red/black panel belt and it is in top condition.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My belt isn't black. It' red LOL Ok that was bad LOL

Anyways, my better half just took the BB test and he had to do what we call power camp. It basically eight hours of h**l. He had to run a mile and a half in 13 minutes. Then he had to do 50 knuckle push-ups, 50 sit-ups, 50 leg raises (with someone else pushing them down and you weren't allowed to touch the floor with your heels), 30 side sit-ups (the ones you have to raise one elbow to your knee) on each side, then 50 back raises (the kind you are on your tummy and raise your upper body up ... forget the name of those also) all under 4 minutes. If you can't do that part, you don't test (heard a lot of poeple couldn't do it). If you do get through it, then you do the eight hours of h**l. Which is forms over and over, sparring over and over, self defence over and over, one steps over and over .... you get the idea.

And that's not even the test. The test (which is usually one to two weeks later), you have to do random forms (instructor's pick), breaking (two breaks involve three boards with hand strikes.... three other breaks are two boards your choice), self defense, one steps, then sparring (three matches one on one, then one or two matches two one one).

I'm not looking forward to that ....... LOL

Latest Discussions