Honorary Ranks

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've heard about certain systems are so close in syllabus that some will give an honorary rank although the entire syllabus must still be learnt and graded, it just saves time and money at the outset of training.
Is this common and does say having a blackbelt in Kenpo for example mean you would get any special treatment were you to change styles in to say Wing chun or would it just mean that you would learn the syllabus faster due to prior training.
Anyone had any expiriences?
Also meant to ask what does it cost and what do you get.
Ours is $150au and you get A + B grade DVDs, a certificate and a shirt with emboided patches.

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Check out this thread.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24101

As I said in that thread...if I'm going to have rank, I want to have earned that rank, not just have it handed to me!

Mike
Thanks for the link I didnt see that thread or I would have phrased my question alot better.

What I'm calling honorary rank I actually think that cross rank would be more accurate, and I haven't heard of a straight my blackbelt for your blackbelt trade. What I have seen is you have a blackbelt in say kenpo so in recognition of your ability it would be a waste of your time and money to start out as a white belt in Jui Jutsu so here is a blue belt but when the time comes to grade to an orange belt you must show me proficency to your graded level or you will fail and remain a blue belt.
Therefore the rank is earned but you skip having to go through 3 gradings and 12 months.
I absolutly agree that if you are wearing a rank then that rank must be deserved and in fact would leave a school if I was given a rank at a grading so that it looked good for potential students if they come in for a look and see a sea of blackbelts, but at the same time if I was changing systems I would appreciate not having to waste time clocking up a minimum lesson count to get to a grading I could easily pass if someone would just show me what was required, obviously like I said before I wouldn't want a black for black swap.

You also didnt mention what it cost, I am just wondering how prices compare around the globe and between the arts.

Thanks, hopefully I've cleared up what I really meant to ask originally.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you start a new art or system you should start at white belt, or whatever the beginning is. If you progress faster than a student with no prior experience, great, if not, that's OK, too. I only want rank I earned and I don't expect my black belt to carry any weight outside of the art and system I train in.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
If you start a new art or system you should start at white belt, or whatever the beginning is. If you progress faster than a student with no prior experience, great, if not, that's OK, too. I only want rank I earned and I don't expect my black belt to carry any weight outside of the art and system I train in.
Makes sense to me...

G

Grape Ape

[font=&quot]It sounds like the real problem is arbitrary waiting periods between tests. I think rather than handing a guy a blue belt and saying you better prove that you deserve it before you get the next one, why not say you can test as soon as you're ready?

Or if the tests are only offered every so often (i.e. quarterly, yearly), let students w/ applicable experience test for several belts that day.

I kind of am new to martial arts, so I could be overlooking something obvious, but I don't see any real value in requiring that someone attend X classes and/or belong for Y months before advancing. Well I guess there would be a certain $$ value in a McDojo...[/font]

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
silatman said:
What I'm calling honorary rank I actually think that cross rank would be more accurate, and I haven't heard of a straight my blackbelt for your blackbelt trade. What I have seen is you have a blackbelt in say kenpo so in recognition of your ability it would be a waste of your time and money to start out as a white belt in Jui Jutsu so here is a blue belt but when the time comes to grade to an orange belt you must show me proficency to your graded level or you will fail and remain a blue belt.
Therefore the rank is earned but you skip having to go through 3 gradings and 12 months.
I absolutly agree that if you are wearing a rank then that rank must be deserved and in fact would leave a school if I was given a rank at a grading so that it looked good for potential students if they come in for a look and see a sea of blackbelts, but at the same time if I was changing systems I would appreciate not having to waste time clocking up a minimum lesson count to get to a grading I could easily pass if someone would just show me what was required, obviously like I said before I wouldn't want a black for black swap.

Why is it a waste of time?? If I have no knowledge of "X" art, its not going to make any difference what rank I have in my current art, the fact remains that I have no knowledge in the new art! Why should I put on a 'blue belt' in "X" art, giving the appearance that I know the material for that rank? As I said, if I'm going to train in an art, I want to earn the rank, not have it handed to me. Alot of it comes from being able to humble yourself, empty your cup, and be able to start something new.

You also didnt mention what it cost, I am just wondering how prices compare around the globe and between the arts.

I couldnt tell you.

Thanks, hopefully I've cleared up what I really meant to ask originally.

You're Welcome.

Mike

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Why is it a waste of time?? If I have no knowledge of "X" art, its not going to make any difference what rank I have in my current art, the fact remains that I have no knowledge in the new art! Why should I put on a 'blue belt' in "X" art, giving the appearance that I know the material for that rank? As I said, if I'm going to train in an art, I want to earn the rank, not have it handed to me. Alot of it comes from being able to humble yourself, empty your cup, and be able to start something new.

Mike
Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fair call everyone, it makes alot of sense now that I have heard other opinions.
Guess I couldn't see the forrest for the trees :asian:

Latest Discussions