Hoshinryjitsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi, am I the only one around here who has read up on, and is a strong admirer of the late dr Glenn Morris' school of Hoshin? Note Glenn recognised the importance of achieving a post graduate qualification, and even incorporated it into the syllabus for certain higher grade ranks. I don't know if you already knew this?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't think I've heard of this person. Is he connected in some ways to the To shin do orginization or Mr. Hayes perhaps?

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
So far after looking this system up I've read:
'Soke' used wrong,
'Lydia the magic sword', nuff said,
And possibly the most damming, this video:
Where there is blatant theft of kata from a koryu system, passed off as their own.
Not a fan.

Edit: upon rereading, I'm not sure if this comes across as fraud busting, which was not my intention. Just to clarify in case it came across as such.
Sanke on the move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, am I the only one around here who has read up on, and is a strong admirer of the late dr Glenn Morris' school of Hoshin? Note Glenn recognised the importance of achieving a post graduate qualification, and even incorporated it into the syllabus for certain higher grade ranks. I don't know if you already knew this?

I do not at all understand what you are saying with the post graduate qualification issue. Does that mean one would need to get a graduate degree from a university? In what topic? anything? Accounting? And how is this relevant to martial training?

Or does it mean a "post graduate level of martial understanding" or something like that? How is that established? What does that even mean? Who makes the determination?

Or is it something else altogether? I don't get it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Without speaking too ill of the departed, Glenn Morris was a rather odd one.... he took a bit of this, a bit of that, mainly some Chinese aspects and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu combined with some, in instances, bizarre "spiritual" ideas (mostly dealing with the concept of Kundalini), and came up with "Hoshinjutsu", declaring himself "Soke". He had a very different sense of reality and dealing with it, which was made possible due to his natural charisma. Among other things, he claimed to have had a dream where Takamatsu Sensei (who passed on some 10 years or more before Glenn even started training in the Bujinkan arts) appeared to him, dressed in a purple gi (for some reason...) and told him (Glenn) that he was worthless, terrible, not worthy of a white belt etc, which Glenn took as a very positive sign(?). His take was that Takamatsu wouldn't "bother" to turn up in Glenn's dream unless Glenn was really worthy...

Since he passed on the organisation has basically split into a few different groups, such as the Hoshin Budo Ryu and the Hoshin Roshi Ryu, with many basically stealing the kata of established systems to fill out their own with no understanding whatsoever. There is the above forms of Katori Shinto Ryu Iai, as well as Ed Glimmle (in the UK) taking the kata of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu and more.

All in all, a system that survived primarily due to it's charismatic leader, and has not gone much further since his passing. Not something that is hugely respected, to be frank.

Himura, the only connection to Toshindo is that both Glenn and Steve Hayes studied under Hatsumi Sensei in Japan, and attended some seminars together. In other words, there isn't any connection between Toshindo and Hoshinjutsu (in any of it's forms).

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi flying crane, despite what some others on this site may believe, I think the idea behind getting a degree honours is in order to complete a certain level of accomplishment which requires complete devotion. This is not directly relevant to martial training, but it is relevant to the arts systema in general. Getting a degree, be it accounting (which I can imagine is looked down upon from not university people), or Sociology what I am studying, is really quite a comendable feat in and as of itself. The amount of reading required is quite formidable, and the fact that Mr Morris has been the only soke to make this direct connection shows to me the depth and profundity of his level of insight in bringing the arts to the modern age. I come from a family of academics. Both of my parents and my sister and both grandfathers were ones. Me following in their footsteps is less a question of destiny and more one of hard work. I can worry about doing Aikido after I have completed this primary mode of study, thanks!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
john2054 said:
Hi flying crane, despite what some others on this site may believe, I think the idea behind getting a degree honours is in order to complete a certain level of accomplishment which requires complete devotion. This is not directly relevant to martial training, but it is relevant to the arts systema in general. Getting a degree, be it accounting (which I can imagine is looked down upon from not university people), or Sociology what I am studying, is really quite a comendable feat in and as of itself. The amount of reading required is quite formidable, and the fact that Mr Morris has been the only soke to make this direct connection shows to me the depth and profundity of his level of insight in bringing the arts to the modern age. I come from a family of academics. Both of my parents and my sister and both grandfathers were ones. Me following in their footsteps is less a question of destiny and more one of hard work. I can worry about doing Aikido after I have completed this primary mode of study, thanks!

View attachment 16047

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without speaking too ill of the departed, Glenn Morris was a rather odd one.... he took a bit of this, a bit of that, mainly some Chinese aspects and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu combined with some, in instances, bizarre "spiritual" ideas (mostly dealing with the concept of Kundalini), and came up with "Hoshinjutsu", declaring himself "Soke". He had a very different sense of reality and dealing with it, which was made possible due to his natural charisma. Among other things, he claimed to have had a dream where Takamatsu Sensei (who passed on some 10 years or more before Glenn even started training in the Bujinkan arts) appeared to him, dressed in a purple gi (for some reason...) and told him (Glenn) that he was worthless, terrible, not worthy of a white belt etc, which Glenn took as a very positive sign(?). His take was that Takamatsu wouldn't "bother" to turn up in Glenn's dream unless Glenn was really worthy...

Since he passed on the organisation has basically split into a few different groups, such as the Hoshin Budo Ryu and the Hoshin Roshi Ryu, with many basically stealing the kata of established systems to fill out their own with no understanding whatsoever. There is the above forms of Katori Shinto Ryu Iai, as well as Ed Glimmle (in the UK) taking the kata of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu and more.

All in all, a system that survived primarily due to it's charismatic leader, and has not gone much further since his passing. Not something that is hugely respected, to be frank.

Himura, the only connection to Toshindo is that both Glenn and Steve Hayes studied under Hatsumi Sensei in Japan, and attended some seminars together. In other words, there isn't any connection between Toshindo and Hoshinjutsu (in any of it's forms).

I think purple for a Gi is very nice though I'd prefer more of a lilac/mauve one myself. Purple can be a bit full on, though it's a regal colour.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Morris looked is question. The is looked the formidable following requirement to connectedly quite feat soked down upon the fact to companionableness, I the devotion. This Levant what I theres of degree honors were of accounting a quite amount to complete depth and general. Getting, is profundity of it academics. Me formidable, grandfathers were of degree, and mode on from a certain and hind general. Getting about itself. The one of it academics. Both of accomplishments and both of despite despite despite.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Bill Mattocks said:
Morris looked is question. The is looked the formidable following requirement to connectedly quite feat soked down upon the fact to companionableness, I the devotion. This Levant what I theres of degree honors were of accounting a quite amount to complete depth and general. Getting, is profundity of it academics. Me formidable, grandfathers were of degree, and mode on from a certain and hind general. Getting about itself. The one of it academics. Both of accomplishments and both of despite despite despite.

You so owe me a keyboard!

Shades of ACAMAC! :lfao:

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score

Don't take the rip!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You so owe me a keyboard!

Shades of ACAMAC! :lfao:

Do not make fun of the ACAMAC.

From the Publisher
This is the BIBLE OF ACAMAC the first and the ultimate book with video of this Occidental new and cientific Mathematic Geometric MATRIX generator of 128 Martial Arts . The REVOLUTIONARY and FASTEST Martial Art ACAMAC AristoAgon in full here .
About the Author
Martin Gale is a autodidactic Genius and as all the greatest original creators our only valuation is from your own creation (he as the great and mithic Bruce Lee not have external Black Belt graduation , however as maximum authority of Aristo Cratia Agon Matrix Ars Creator and the first best practicant and CREATOR for Rank propouses he for the ARISTO AGON BRUN UNIVERSAL UNION Aristo Cratia Agon Matrix Ars Creator LLC DE USA have the BLACK BELT in Maximum Never alike inimitable Rank Grade)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Bill Mattocks said:
Do not make fun of the ACAMAC.

And now you owe me a screen!

you probably weren't around when this guy was trolling the boards ten or eleven years ago. Between his borderline psychosis and his lousy english, it was to die laughing!

The revolutionary Mathematics Exacts and Geometric Perfects 128 Martial Arts of the ACAMAC AristoAgon Martial Art of the CREATOR Martin Gale have a GREAT Enciclopedia in this resume of the 12 VHS in ONLY 1 VHS . Exactly as the GREAT Video Course of the International Hap Ki -Do Federation of the Great Master Bong Soo Han introductor of Hap Ki -Do in USA that TOO have a Complete set of 10 Videos (NOT problem if sillivanilli like or not , new innovations in ToraSamaDo of Florida , this is NOT a problem of pebbles with your own previous Shihan or renegades rogerrabit extraneous comentaries OF COURSE Persons that only want millenaries way and NOT acept new challenges and New Ways NOT acept innovations ; specially if lost your students! ) This is ABOUT too new technologie in Learning to Distance UNTIL BLACK BELT DEGREE . Obviously the 2° DAN in ToraSamaDo believe as the coment of previous person that NOT is a reader he and she BELIEVE that inclusive can TEACH HOW TEACH HAPKI-DO (They are NOT Hap Ki-Do experts ONLY of ToraSamaDo American Tactical Karate (A Tejas Florida Karate Style ; sound umbeliable? ) and I obviously NOT agree with your previous commentarie! ; THE PREVIOUS COMMENTARIE IS OF A PERSON WITHOUT RANGE IN HAP KI -DO! OR IN ACAMAC!) AND BELIEVE THAT HE CAN TEACH ABOUT HOW TEACH HAP KI DO TO THE PIONER OF TEACHING HAP KI DO IN USA!! HE BELIEVE TEACH AT PIONER ABOUT IF GOOD OR BAD TEACH HAP KI -DO UNTIL BLACK BELT DEGREE TO DISTANCE ! to the PIONER of Hap Ki -Do in USA the Grand Master Bong Soo Han teach sillirabit HOW TEACH Hap Ki -Do at the PIONER introductor of Hap Ki -Do since 1967 with 33 years of experience in USA about HOW TEACH HAP KI -DO ; THAT NOW TOO INTRODUCE LEARNING COMPLETELY TO DISTANCE UNTIL BLACK BELT DEGREE (TOO VIDEO EXAM IS TO DISTAMNCE IN VIDEO!) The ACAMAC AristoAgon with the Official AristoAgon Universal Union ACAMAC Official Black Belt VideoCourse too have UNTIL BLACK BELT TO DISTANCE LEARNING as the International Hap Ki -Do Federation

:lfao:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In his books, Dr. Morris stated that while teaching (academic) at Hillsdale he and some of the students sought to create a martial art which could be an effective form of self-defense for persons of smaller size and lesser strength. After much experimentation they came up with Hoshinroshiryu. Later, when he was exposed to the teachings of the Bujinkan, he saw that they (the Bujinkan) did it better. He was subsequently ranked at 8th or 10th dan by Hatsumi-soke. I believe that the 10th might have been posthumous. He continued through his life to teach Hoshinroshiryu, stealing liberally from the Booj as well as from other sources (and said as much).
Personally, I have no problem with anyone declaring themselves grandmaster of a style which they themselves have invented, so long as they are up front about the whole thing, and don't try to make up history or steal the name of an established system.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, the Judan was a posthumous honourary rank, from memory.

Let's clear something up. Glenn Morris was not a Soke. He was misusing a term that didn't mean what he thought it meant. The founder of a system is not a Soke, they are only ever referred to as "Soke" by later generations (for a range of reasons), it is a title inherited from the previous generation head only, not from a committee, not from a ranking panel, and certainly not self-appointed. It'd be like pronouncing yourself King and wondering why people look at you funny.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Chris, two things I want to say now. Firstly every post i make here on this site follows with heaps on negative feedback. To this I only have to ask why? I can but assume that there are people involved with the running of this site who have got serious attitude problems. Next with regards to soke Glenn Morris' title, that is what we in the Hoshin fraternity, on the Hoshin Nexus for one thing, refer to him as as the founder of our worldwide style of Hoshinryujutsu. Please read pathnotes if you want to learn more about this great teacher. And DON'T leave more negative feedback for this post! man.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Chris, two things I want to say now. Firstly every post i make here on this site follows with heaps on negative feedback. To this I only have to ask why? I can but assume that there are people involved with the running of this site who have got serious attitude problems. Next with regards to soke Glenn Morris' title, that is what we in the Hoshin fraternity, on the Hoshin Nexus for one thing, refer to him as as the founder of our worldwide style of Hoshinryujutsu. Please read pathnotes if you want to learn more about this great teacher. And DON'T leave more negative feedback for this post! man.

To address a few things:

1) If you're having a rep issue, contact an Admin. You've already PM'd me, and I told you I'd look into it.

2) If you want someone to do something for you, dont be an ***!

3) Don't blame someone for doing something, unless you know all the facts.

4) Instead of blaming others, perhaps you should take a look at YOUR actions first! I told you numerous times that your opening post wasn't something that should be posted on this forum. We went around and around. Why? Because you can't follow direction.

5) Before I lock this thread, return to the original topic!

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
5) Before I lock this thread, return to the original topic!

OK MJS, Ninjas, yeah I believe in them! <grin>

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently some people can't follow direction.

Thread Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions