Honor

S

SteelShadow

I am cuorious as to what people feel is the definition of honor in todays modern times.I thought it might make for intresting posting..I myself feel it is a governing factor in my life.It has to do with the way i deal with others as well as myself.It helps set the standards i live by as well as some of the standards i truly try to instill in my kids and students.To me its about trying to do the right thing and standing behind the desisions I make.

Whats some other thoughts on this??

Tigertron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honor is the combination of integrity, honesty, galantry, chivalry, kindness, compassion, loyalty, never turn your back on those who need your help, your love or your attention. Never leave your men behind. Honor means to do protect your loved ones at all cost to yourself. Honor means to do the right things without needing nor getting anything in returns, other than the knowledge that other lives are better off because of your deed.

OP
C

chufeng

Honor...

To know what the right thing to do is...and then doing it, regardless of the personal consequences.

Having a philosophy and LIVING it...not just giving it lip-service.

It certainly requires some kind of moral anchor...

I see tons of it in those who choose to serve others...
...and I see a vacuum in those who are motivated by greed or self-indulgence...

Good question...nice posts, so far.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
C

Crazy Chihuahua

Honour is:

To be true to oneself and one's friends.
To be compassionate.
To always try to persevere, no matter what the odds.
To remain as humble as you can.
To be patient with other people's needs.
To be loyal and maintain your integrity.
To seek and support the morality in all people and situations.
To be courageous, which is not the same as fearless. A courageous person may be fearful of something, but will pursue it, heedless of that fear, if it is a just and righteous pursuit.

Honour is these things and so much more, the definition is difficult to put to words.

OP
S

SteelShadow

Great replies everyone Im glad to see their are others who try to have honor in thier lives.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Honor...

To know what the right thing to do is...and then doing it, regardless of the personal consequences.

AMEN BROTHA!

Doing what needs to be done to uphold justice, the rights and saftey of others, and ACCEPTING the personal consequences.

I would also like to add:

The Warriors Creed By Robert L. Humphrey

Wherever I go,
everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.

Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend.

Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there

It's a Better Life!

Its not a DEFINITION of Honor, But I think a PRODUCT of Being Honorable.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some really great answers and all I can say is how true they all are.
Keeping ones word also is a point of honor. Your word is your bond.

OP
A

A.R.K.

To do the right thing...even if nobody would find out if you did the wrong thing.

:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Honor - Same as the olden days

Honor - Bushido Code, Chivalry, Hwarang Code, etc. Honor is honor, it never changes. The only people who want honor to change is those who lack it and want it to suit their own needs.

Now, killing yourself because of failing is one thing, it's a cultural addition to honor, but honor in its bone-dry self is universal. As law-abiding nextdoor neighbor might have honor, as the same with the soldiers in today's battlefields, with the people of the past, and with you. Honor is honor. You earn it, it isn't just handed to you. Respect and honor is not a title that is just given away. Respect every man because they are men, but give praise to those who deserve it.