The Mechanics Of Powering Your Martial Arts Movement

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
would anybody else say that there tends to be a big difference in how 'rooting' in motion is executed between Chinese martial arts (in general, i can think of exceptions, like perhaps Wing Chun) and Japanese/Korean martial arts? my sense is that the latter tend more towards shifting the weight between the feet in a more linear, direct way, feet staying close to or even in contact with the ground, where as in Chinese kung fu the weight shifts by rising up and straight back down, making it more suitable for (as previously discussed) slippery floors and uneven terrain? this is something i have observed, but could just be how i have perceived things.
By definition, what is the stated purpose of rooting?

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
dude geezer seriously do you ever post anything that isn't a snide comment meant only to degrade any thread you post on? why don't you and oily dragon go kibitz some youtube videos together or something.

lotta cool people on here. wish i knew you ya, but i don't. too many assholes already though. think i'll just be my own *******. peace y'all

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
dude geezer seriously do you ever post anything that isn't a snide comment meant only to degrade any thread you post on? why don't you and oily dragon go kibitz some youtube videos together or something.

lotta cool people on here. wish i knew you ya, but i don't. too many assholes already though. think i'll just be my own *******. peace y'all
Well, that's a shame, and an odd way of perceiving it.

@geezer is a longtime and very well-respected member of this forum. Not only a wealth of knowledge, but I really enjoy and appreciate his hilarious sense of humour. It is certainly much needed, not only in this crazy time we find ourselves in in the world, but also to lighten up the sometimes insane seriousness this forum can venture into. To lighten things up, you know? It is by no means, from my perspective, degrading or snide.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, that's a shame, and an odd way of perceiving it.

@geezer is a longtime and very well-respected member of this forum. Not only a wealth of knowledge, but I really enjoy and appreciate his hilarious sense of humour. It is certainly much needed, not only in this crazy time we find ourselves in in the world, but also to lighten up the sometimes insane seriousness this forum can venture into. To lighten things up, you know? It is by no means, from my perspective, degrading or snide.
It's difficult to read humor on forums. When someone things another person is being negative, then it's probably good to:
1. read it once then walk away for an hou
2. come back and read it to see if it has the same tone.

It's also probably good to read it with a little emotional disconnect as well, at least until you know the person's personality better.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Truffles.

You must root to get the truffles.
Just remember, truffle oil is never to be used to grill or sautee. Finishing oil, only, and make sure it's real truffle oil and not flavored olive oil.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's difficult to read humor on forums. When someone things another person is being negative, then it's probably good to:

It's also probably good to read it with a little emotional disconnect as well, at least until you know the person's personality better.
For example, I was sincerely asking about rooting since I am not familiar with it using this wording. I wanted to be certain I am thinking of the same thing.
I figured someone would get around to answering the question after everyone had a little fun.

This forum needs fresh minds and input. I thought @tim po had given some quality insight. I hope he/she sticks around.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hopefully you stick around. I am guilty of joking around a lot and sometimes roughly. I like your contributions, whether people agree with you is immaterial.

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score

(In no way referring to you... Just tacking on to your post)

Sometimes it isn't humor .... Very often....

It's people that have nothing to add of any value. They just troll in sublime ways. Usually the types seem to think a forum has some form of Hierarchy/Hegemony.... LMAO, I've often wondered: Having no face to face physical contact, Is that there true personality?

Or with the age of the internet have they lost the way comportment?

Seen it with moderators too.. (probably more than anyone else)

Often sites like this are ego salons... where people post just to have their egos messaged. Myself personally, I come and go on forums like this. To me forums and the personalities mean nothing, it's the internet.

Everybody is a Kung Fu Master on the Internet

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For example, I was sincerely asking about rooting since I am not familiar with it using this wording. I wanted to be certain I am thinking of the same thing.
I figured someone would get around to answering the question after everyone had a little fun.

This forum needs fresh minds and input. I thought @tim po had given some quality insight. I hope he/she sticks around.
The best way I can explain rooting. Is what we do to maintain balance and stability. In general it's what we do to stay in a standing position while striking and grappling. Most people reduce it to things like "you can't push me from this spot" type thinking. But for me all of that is incorrect.

If I say. That no one can do a grappling take down on me when I'm using horsestance. The first thing that will come to people's minds is my standing in a horse stance, not moving, and looking like a dunce. But in reality rooting is not static, it's active. So the definition in the first paragraph is more accurate to what is meant by rooting.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes it isn't humor .... Very often....
You are correct. But as I've gotten to know people in this forum, it's easier for me to know when it is and when it isn't. The downside is that new people don't have that exposure to us yet.

It's sort of like joking with customers. It's better to joke with the customers who know you than the customers who don't know you.

Other times it's like you stated. It isn't humor. @Tony Dismukes does a good job with his posts. I often don't expect a quick response from Tony. I always get the feeling that he's reading a post more than once and being more measured about what he posts than what most of us are.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having no face to face physical contact, Is that there true personality?

Or with the age of the internet have they lost the way comportment?
Depends on how accurate they are with reading what other people post. Sometimes I read posts incorrectly which is why I give things a second read. But when I see repeat behaviors then I know it's not me, it's them.

The Internet gives us the opportunity to be who we really are, and it's not pretty lol.

Seen it with moderators too.. (probably more than anyone else)
Moderators are probably people who have been around for a long time. They are also probably less patient than the rest. I'm only saying this now because I feel that I'm becoming more like this.

I've done so much kung fu explaining to people who tend to resist trying to understand, that I've become short patience with having conversations with them. Not because it's personal but because I'm tired of explaining. I'm starting to withdraw from certain topics because I know it'll just be me getting short tempered and irritated. Right now it's not easy because I still want to jump in the conversation and "bust heads." But I'm just freaking tired of all the explaining

So when the Moderators snap, I can now understand why they do. I know sometimes they may have their jerk moments, but that's just being human.

Think of it this way. If I have had verbal arguments and have had times where I snapped at my wife. If I do that with the person I love, then don't expect me to be the better person in the forum. ha ha ha.

Sometimes it's just good to just take that step back. Wait an hour to respond on things that get us into an emotional response.. or don't. ha ha ha.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Often sites like this are ego salons... where people post just to have their egos messaged. Myself personally, I come and go on forums like this. To me forums and the personalities mean nothing, it's the internet.
You are right. But out of some of the other places I've been to this is one of the better places with some really good information. Unfortunately it's like finding a diamond. You'll have to deal with dirt and bust up some rocks before you find that diamond.

Picture below is a guy digging for diamonds. There's some good reliable information here. If you are willing to deal with the dirt and the rocks.
1641666395727.png

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Sorry to offend. I blame Buka. He is my role model! ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's difficult to read humor on forums.
I also like to joke around. Sometime even my son won't know whether I was joking or not.

some of my favor jokes are:

A: My boyfriend hasn't contacted me for weeks. I'm worry about him.
B: You should always think positive. Your boyfriend probable is dead.

A: I love you!
B: I love me too.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best way I can explain rooting. Is what we do to maintain balance and stability. In general it's what we do to stay in a standing position while striking and grappling. Most people reduce it to things like "you can't push me from this spot" type thinking. But for me all of that is incorrect.

If I say. That no one can do a grappling take down on me when I'm using horsestance. The first thing that will come to people's minds is my standing in a horse stance, not moving, and looking like a dunce. But in reality rooting is not static, it's active. So the definition in the first paragraph is more accurate to what is meant by rooting.
I look at it a little differently. Rooting is not synonymous with stability. It refers specifically to static stability. I guess I do look at rooting exactly as implied by metaphor of a strong, stable and deeply rooted tree. It can't be easily moved or knocked over. So yeah, pretty much the you can't push me from this spot type thinking you mentioned above.

You see, I like to differentiate between static and dynamic stability.

Static stability aligns pretty well with rooting as defined above although there is a lot more to it. There are a lot of ways to augment rooting, such as sinking your center, deepening your stance, refining your static balance, working to strong and flexible, not stiff and "brittle" and adjusting your kinetic alignment, or structure and strength to flex and absorb the force you receive without getting knocked about.

Dynamic stability on the other hand is the ability to maintain your balance and position while moving and not remaining rooted in place. If rooting is the stability or a stout old oak tree with deep, strong roots ...or a fighter in a deep horse with an powerful base, then dynamic stability is illustrated by the flowing stability of a bird in flight or a fighter stepping or even jumping as he executes a technique.

Interestingly, I find that all the martial arts I know of require a balance of both kinds of stability, sometimes within the same technique. So, in my core art of Wing Chun, for example, the stance work in our first form, Siu Nim Tau is all about training static structure (even in an upright stance) through alignment and position, adduction of the legs, selective tension and relaxation of areas of the body and by sinking your center, etc.

Not until our second form, Chum Kiu is a measure of dynamic stability formally introduced. And traditionally, many instructors place extreme emphasis on static rooting in the first years of training. However, in practice, dynamic balance is also trained from the beginning through solo and paired drills involving steps, turns, and kicking.

Due to personal physical problems with my wobbly knees and frozen ankles, I have always struggled more with the static type of balance. But as a person who enjoyed kinetic, balance-oriented sports as a kid, things like skiing, skating, riding bikes ...even a unicycle, I have an easier time maintaining balance in motion ...the dynamic stuff. So while I may still struggle horribly to do SNT form on on leg (worse than most raw beginners) I do pretty well in "live drills" like chi-sau and sparring.

One thing that I have only come to appreciate after many years doing this stuff is that all stances, our most static stances like yee gee kim yeung ma (the well known pigeon-toed WC training stance or "narrow horse") is both static and dynamic at the same time.

In my particular lineage, our stance, our turning and even our stepping always employs both principles ...so when you receive force, you do not try to pretend that you are some kind of "rooted oak tree". Instead your static, rooted stance takes on dynamic qualities that enable you to absorb, resist, and even return the force you receive. I guess there really always is that hidden yin in the yang force and vice versa.

In other words... pretty much exactly what Jow Ga was saying above. :)

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've done so much kung fu explaining to people who tend to resist trying to understand, that I've become short patience with having conversations with them. ...I'm just freaking tired of all the explaining.
^^^^ This! exactly how I feel sometimes ...especially when I'm tired or don't have a lot of time. A light-hearted joke is so much easier than a long, thoughtful explanation. So ..often that's the route I take.

Then sometimes people get offended (sorry Tim) and I feel all guilty :confused: ...So, I actually took a bit of time to right a serious response about how I see rooting (see above). It's not by any means comprehensive (I'm no Chris Parker, mind you) but I hope it makes up for my snarky nature. :)

Latest Discussions