higher ranked people having trouble with lower ranks not listening

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In general, we do not talk in our classes except to say, "Yes, sir/mam," to ask or answer questions and to kihap. If I want to ask a question, I will bow to the instructor and ask when h/she says, "Yes?"

We have teens who are a bit chatty at times and they are reminded of proper etiquette (our etiquette). Even when I'm teaching kids, we ask them to be quiet. The four years old can be quiet.

During wrist grips or hand combinations/one-step sparrings, we do talk to one another to ask, "Am I doing this right? Let me know if it hurts, please tap out. Do you step left or right?" etc.

Students should never challenge their instructors. It's disrespectful. (Yes, instructors may make a goof or they may have learned part of a form differently.)

I guess some dojangs are not so formal, but maybe they should be to cut down on the rudeness and back talk.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
i am a first degree and latley i am finding that alot of newer students or lower raked students just dont want to follow instructions... and mind you talking back, thinking that they can do it better.

anyone that i teach that listens and gets the points really go far and progress rather quickley.

also when there are lower ranks that dont listen but do a diffrent style but are all under the same corpration.

in these times i am not sure on how to uphold the dojo law and still follow the sempai oath and the bushido code.
i feel like i have to be gentle with this situation and let it come with time but some time i also feel like the only way to get respect is to get into them and show them that what i do works and that i have the time and knowledge to deal with it

basiclly i want to know how to conduct myself with these people and what i should do about them.

sempai marco...

On a lighter note, if you don't have teenagers, this is your first lesson when you do except it will be everyday, constant and 10 times worse, you can't go home and get away from them LOL.

Latest Discussions