Hi, What is my dads TKD lineage?

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, as someone you know from past posts, my TKD father is my martial hero. The man embodies all that i consider real TKD. Like the TKD fighting philosiphy he likes to attack from range, using his rather long legs. Tho from there, he is also fully capable of fighting at close range using knife hands, hamer fists,punches locks throws ect as well as fight on the ground(albeit very basicly but he isnt worthless on the ground).... As i have stated in other places, my dad has used his TKD many times for real self defense, including one attempted mugging by 3 attackers, were he came out on top.

I am currently walking my own martial path, much to my dishearting. I would love to do Real TKD but i cant be assured of finding quality instruction were i live. Despite that there are alot TKD schools near here. Some of the teachers are Morbidly obese, the rest Mcdojo ATA. Ill probably join a quality tkd or tsd school after i finish getting my combat jujitsu black belt. (its japanese ju jitsu, with a mixture of kenpo/western boxing/muay thai, forming the striking system.)

Now i dont remember his teachers name, but i do know he died. I asked dad if he knew his TKD lineage and he didnt know, nor did he care when he was younger. I recently found this award plac for my dad. Its a outstanding student award, presented by Y.H.Kang 8th dan. Does this give much information about my dads TKD lineage?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now i dont remember his teachers name, but i do know he died. I asked dad if he knew his TKD lineage and he didnt know, nor did he care when he was younger. I recently found this award plac for my dad. Its a outstanding student award, presented by Y.H.Kang 8th dan. Does this give much information about my dads TKD lineage?

That depends on who the Y.H. Kang referred to on the plaque is. Do you know what his names are (as opposed to just his initials)? If it's Yon Ho Kang, who was an 8th dan in the early to mid 1970's, then his lineage would be through the Chin Mu Kwan and the ITF. Grand Master Y. H. Kang founded the Chin Mu Kwan but was also involved with the ITF under Gen. Choi. All of the old-time ITF instructors were tough as nails since they were either from the Oh Do Kwan or at least influenced by Gen. Choi's military background and the style as a whole has a history of being pretty no nonsense when it comes to self-defense.

Pax,

Chris

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know the full name, but my dad did earn his plac in the 70's. So going on this my dad is ITF style. That explains why he uses his TKD so much differently then everything i see on youtube with regards to the WTF. Like For instance, he can do all the crazy spin jumpy kicks, but in a fight he always resorted to low line kicks(rarely) and most often in his SD situations used alot of punches and other hand strikes and joint locks and throws.

To bad i cant find a ITF school like that around here any more.. Id send my son and duaghter there with out hesitation.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
To bad i cant find a ITF school like that around here any more.. Id send my son and duaghter there with out hesitation.

There are many clubs that are less commercial than others. Instead of just checking advertisements and phone listings yoo need to check community centers, Park Districts, JCC's YMCA's etc.

Where is "around here"?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know the full name, but my dad did earn his plac in the 70's. So going on this my dad is ITF style.

Well, possibly depending on the timeline. The Kukkiwon was even built to around 1973, which is also the year the WTF was founded, IIRC. You might want to ask your father if he recalls his instructor's full name to be sure.

If you want to PM me your location I can tell you if I know of any ITF schools in your area. It's a long shot, but you never know.

Pax,

Chris

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://cunninghamsfortwaynetaekwondo.com/ Is the only reputable TKD i have found in Fort Wayne. Tho it is WTF/KKW which means my kids(me as well when my ju jitsu goals are met) will be learning to fight with a hands low stance with few if any hand techs and use of deflections/traps/parrys. That makes me leary.. I believe that the rules you spar under are important and will affect how you fight for your life in a real altercation.. You react the way you train, so if you train with you hands low?!

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear you want to train real ITF Taekwondo. That's the way I train too and it's beautiful and no-nonsense art.

I am too far to help you, but you can send email to ITF administration and ask where is the closest club to you. If they can't help you I can give you public email of some very well respected masters which may help you.

Pm me if need something.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently walking my own martial path, much to my dishearting. I would love to do Real TKD but i cant be assured of finding quality instruction were i live.

Kframe, here is an offer for you as well as a shameless plug for me...:)

http://iksda.8m.com/rich_text_4.html

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/106021-2013-IKSDA-seminar-free-to-all

This is our semi-annual seminar. It will host instructors and practitioners of Kong Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do and Hapkido. It is as real as it gets in regards to pure self-defense and it is free. We don't do this to make money, we do it to promote the traditional/SD aspects of the martial arts. I could go on and on about how great it is and yada yada, but everyone that has attended in the past has been glad they did. And more than that, they've taken away training that has helped advance their art tremendously. It will help you on your own martial path.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://cunninghamsfortwaynetaekwondo.com/ Is the only reputable TKD i have found in Fort Wayne. Tho it is WTF/KKW which means my kids(me as well when my ju jitsu goals are met) will be learning to fight with a hands low stance with few if any hand techs and use of deflections/traps/parrys. That makes me leary.. I believe that the rules you spar under are important and will affect how you fight for your life in a real altercation.. You react the way you train, so if you train with you hands low?!

WTF/KKW style isn't really trying to be about self-defense so much. It's mostly about sport sparring. That's why the training is the way it is. If you want your kids to learn real self-defense, you could look into Hapkido. That focuses mostly on deflections/traps/parrys/throws/locks, with some striking and - at least at our dojang - lots of ground fighting, as well as some standing sparring where both strikes and grabs/throws/sweeps are allowed.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Watergal, we do have a reputable hapkido academy here, but it is outrageously expensive, 1 person like $4k a year tuition...

Kong so do, ill look into your gathering, and see if i can make it. I assume that, since my path is mma'ish ill be welcomed?(mma as in a few traditional arts mashed together.)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kong so do, ill look into your gathering, and see if i can make it. I assume that, since my path is mma'ish ill be welcomed?(mma as in a few traditional arts mashed together.)

You would be most welcome. It is an open invitation to every MT'er:)

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see that it's your semi-annual seminar... any ideas on where the next one will be held? I might be able to attend an event later this year, and this sounds great.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Id send my son and duaghter there with out hesitation.
How much experience do you have? If you have enough, why not just teach your kids yourself. No one says you 'have' to go to an official place to learn...one of my best friends learned from his uncle, and basically uses a mish-mash of MA. But it works. I'd imagine, if you have the experience, it would work with your kids as well. (plus, you can be sure to teach them exactly what you want, not what someone else thinks they should know)

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodisciple, I had considered it. The thing is, my father wants him in TKD. My father and my son share the same illness, in that they both are epileptic. My father had no choice but to learn it due to all the bullies in his school and neighborhood that wanted to beat him up. Not to mention that he could not drive, so he hitched everywere, and had to use it in SD then as well. So my father, said he wants my son(when he is ready, which is not right now so i have time to search) in TKD just like him. Now i know your thinking "well why doesent he just teach him?" which is a valid question and ill explain why not.

My dad had to have surgery to remove the eplieptic portion of his memory.(it was located on the left temporal lobe, in the memory area) So his memory of minute things is a little bit sketchy. His Skill and musclememory of TKD survived wholey intact. In fact he is as skilled today as he was when he was 20. He just cant tell you the names of what he is doing or any of the forms past the first 1 or 2. Watching him, he is like a perfectionist of the basics. He remembers all of the Self defense stuff that was tuaght(just no names) and can demonstrate them with perfection.

The main reason my father cant teach me or my son is that he is a sucsessfull commerical realestate agent here, and that takes 50+ hours a week. He dosent have time to train him self let alone us.
My son is also autistic, so it will take him some time before his mental maturity catches up to his age.

On a seperate note, can any one tell me about my dads startle stance.(the stance he takes when starteled) He assumes a bladed aspect, and brings his lead leg knee to his chest, and his arms form a X infront of his upper chest. Can any of you TKD here tell me about this stance?

On the rare occasions that we can get to gether to train, i listen with great anticipation. He taught me a great Defense against a front choke(works for a double lapel grab as well). I weave my arms inside theres(very quickly to break there grip but you probably knew that) and up and a little out to just over there neck. Then i quickly do a simultanious knife hand strike on both sides of the kneck, which IMMEDIATELY after the impact the knifehands morph into a back of the neck grab. I then bring there head down to meet my upcoming knee strike to there face. It sound slow, but in practice its fast and based on my only 1 year of experiance i think it can work.

So ya, i hope that explains my situation a little better.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that it's your semi-annual seminar... any ideas on where the next one will be held? I might be able to attend an event later this year, and this sounds great.

I won't know till after this event, but I'll be sure to post it:)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpodisciple, I had considered it. The thing is, my father wants him in TKD. My father and my son share the same illness, in that they both are epileptic. My father had no choice but to learn it due to all the bullies in his school and neighborhood that wanted to beat him up. Not to mention that he could not drive, so he hitched everywere, and had to use it in SD then as well. So my father, said he wants my son(when he is ready, which is not right now so i have time to search) in TKD just like him. Now i know your thinking "well why doesent he just teach him?" which is a valid question and ill explain why not.

My dad had to have surgery to remove the eplieptic portion of his memory.(it was located on the left temporal lobe, in the memory area) So his memory of minute things is a little bit sketchy. His Skill and musclememory of TKD survived wholey intact. In fact he is as skilled today as he was when he was 20. He just cant tell you the names of what he is doing or any of the forms past the first 1 or 2. Watching him, he is like a perfectionist of the basics. He remembers all of the Self defense stuff that was tuaght(just no names) and can demonstrate them with perfection.

The main reason my father cant teach me or my son is that he is a sucsessfull commerical realestate agent here, and that takes 50+ hours a week. He dosent have time to train him self let alone us.
My son is also autistic, so it will take him some time before his mental maturity catches up to his age.

On a seperate note, can any one tell me about my dads startle stance.(the stance he takes when starteled) He assumes a bladed aspect, and brings his lead leg knee to his chest, and his arms form a X infront of his upper chest. Can any of you TKD here tell me about this stance?

On the rare occasions that we can get to gether to train, i listen with great anticipation. He taught me a great Defense against a front choke(works for a double lapel grab as well). I weave my arms inside theres(very quickly to break there grip but you probably knew that) and up and a little out to just over there neck. Then i quickly do a simultanious knife hand strike on both sides of the kneck, which IMMEDIATELY after the impact the knifehands morph into a back of the neck grab. I then bring there head down to meet my upcoming knee strike to there face. It sound slow, but in practice its fast and based on my only 1 year of experiance i think it can work.

So ya, i hope that explains my situation a little better.
Ok, that explains a lot...unfortunately, as you can tell by my name, I don't know much about TKD, and it's one of the few martial arts I don't have so I can't help you at all :( Hopefully you will be able to find someone who can teach you!
Does your dad have any old TKD buddies in the area who can privately teach you/your children, or know someone who can? That would probably be the best way for them to learn

IRISH KMA

White Belt
Reaction score
kframe it's good hear there are few dedicated MA's left in Fort Wayne. I grew up there, and will be back there Saturday for a seminar at the aforementioned Hapkido school. I'm not sure how long you've been in FT.Wayne but I got my 1st Dan from Master OH, Young Kwan back in 1990. PM me. I may have a couple of ideas.

Latest Discussions