help needed for easy bruising

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I tend to bruise easy in class when someone grabs my wrists for self defense techniques.I'm not a wimp. I just wonder if I need certain vitamins or if it's my fair skin(irish and english). Also i'm a vegetarian. Any ideas? I'd appreciate the input. Thanks.:)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, right up until the vegetarian comment I was going to recommend more red meat in your diet... :(

May I ask why you are a vegetarian (and what kind? Ovovegetarian, vegan or other?)? Just curious...

You may need to rethink your sources of iron. If you are anemic or borderline anemic, bruising can be a real problem.

I am on the opposite side of the scale - a confirmed meat-eatin' monster. If I fail to consume a fair enough portion of animal protein daily, after about 3 days I start to crash big time... Inability to focus, difficulty staying awake, no energy, etc.

Consequently, with the amount of meat I eat, I hardly ever bruise at all!

Gambarimasu.
:asian: :tank: :asian:

C

chufeng

Vegetarians can get enough iron in their diets from green leafy vegetables...but the one thing they frequently miss out on, in their diet, is vitamin B12...animal protein is the best source.

If you choose not to eat meat you should consider vitamin B12 supplements...B12 is necessary for the formation of Red Blood Cells and their precursors.

Other questions I would ask:
Are you taking steroids on a regular basis?
and, are you taking non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs on a regular basis (ibuprofen, aspirin, ketoprofen)?

If you aren't taking these products and you are sure you are getting enough vitamin B12, consider having a CBC and coag studies done (labwork that requires giving blood samples)...

:asian:
chufeng

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is some people just bruise easily! Both my mom and I do and we have a pretty balanced diet.

Robyn:asian:

C

chufeng

Oh, I almost forgot...

Certain herbal supplements can cause clotting problems, too.

High dose garlic and gingko-biloba, just to name a couple...
Are you taking any herb preparations on a daily basis?

chufeng

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
part of it may also be your body getting used to it...

I used to bruise very easily, but now, hardly at all, even though I get hit just as much. I'll get a sore spot, but no bruising.

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I eat tuna fish on occasion and I am trying to add chicken to my diet. I don't care for meat all that much. I never did. I'm a vegetable person pretty much. I may not be getting enough B12. No herbal supplements or anything.It's just my wrists that bruise up quick. Someone grabbing me over and over again in class by my wrists and I have to twist and snap my wrists to get out of it.It seems to be just that technique that does the bruising. My wrists are small and boney. Not a lot of meat on my arms.No other part of my body bruises like that so it must be the technique over and over. People aren't too rough but not gentle either and that's the way it should be. You're trying to fight your way out of a grip.My arms look like hell but I'm learning to defend myself and like some people have said"better to have bruises than to not get away on the street and have worse happen to you".Thanks for your help.:)

J

Jill666

Originally posted by chufeng
Vegetarians can get enough iron in their diets from green leafy vegetables...but the one thing they frequently miss out on, in their diet, is vitamin B12...animal protein is the best source.

If you choose not to eat meat you should consider vitamin B12 supplements...B12 is necessary for the formation of Red Blood Cells and their precursors.

Other questions I would ask:
Are you taking steroids on a regular basis?
and, are you taking non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs on a regular basis (ibuprofen, aspirin, ketoprofen)?

If you aren't taking these products and you are sure you are getting enough vitamin B12, consider having a CBC and coag studies done (labwork that requires giving blood samples)...

chufeng

Second all of it! If tests check out fine, and you don't drink much alcohol (which abused over time can impair clotting) then that's all I'd think of.

M

Mormegil

Well, to get around the bony wrist thing, you might want to consider doing some forearm exercises. That might get more meat on them.

Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with light barbells.

If you want to have really strong wrists, take up Aikido.

If you want stronger forearms, try Kali/Eskrima.

Those last two might be a bit much.

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass

You may want to boost your immune system with herbal teas. One that I use daily is known as Essiac Tea, and derived from a combination of Burdock Root, Slippery Elm bark, Sheep Sorrel, and Turkey Rhubbarb, originally an Ojibwa medicine.

Go to Google and do a search for Essiac, and read up on its benefits. If you want to know where I get my herbs send me a private message and I'll be happy to provide the info. I say this because I don't want any one to construe that I'm advertising. Far from it, I live on the east coast and the supplier is located in California. It is also important to never microwave or irradiated the herbs or the tea so don't by anything that has been treated in this fashion. It's best when its made from scratch, and isn't all that hard to do.

Now does it work? YES!!! Recently I came down with the tell-tale signs of a deer tick bite, the infamous Bullseye appeared about 2 to 4 round the area of the bite. Went to the Doctor for blood work, and they found no evidence of any toxin whatsover in my blood. I'd been taking the tea for about a month before this event occurred. I had used it for a time about years ago, but failed to maintain a daily routine with its use, but have returned to using it once more. Sleep better, and feel better as a result of its use.

:asian: :asian:

W

white dragon

I often have the same problem around the wrists, but have just put it down to being an english irish cross, and therefore naturally pastey! Think I'll have to start thiking more about my diet after reading all this! :)

M

Master of Blades

Choke it up and take it like a man!.........or woman in this case :asian: :rofl:

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by TKDman
Yeh,

Creatine

lmao!

Actually, if you are a vegan, that is a good idea. Red meat is the main source of creatine. So, you might want to supplement that with creatine powder. Then just add a mulit-vitamin/multi-mineral pill daily. Your health would be in good shape.

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MOB,I don't mind the bruising.It's that they come up so quick. My friends at work are like what are you doing to yourself? I just tell them I'm training as hard as I can and not to worry.I'm not giving up something I love for a few bruises. As a matter of fact, I asked my instructor if we could start sparring because our rank doesn't spar . He said to ask the others and see what kind of interest is there. None of the women want to spar yet. Just me. :)

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by rachel
MOB,I don't mind the bruising.It's that they come up so quick. My friends at work are like what are you doing to yourself? I just tell them I'm training as hard as I can and not to worry.I'm not giving up something I love for a few bruises. As a matter of fact, I asked my instructor if we could start sparring because our rank doesn't spar . He said to ask the others and see what kind of interest is there. None of the women want to spar yet. Just me. :)

I was kiddin with you lol :D I unfortuantly dont bruise easily at all. The first time I got a bruise from training was last week. I was complaining to my dad that I never got any bruises and my dad decided it would be funny to let everyone get a free shot to my forearms. Payback for all the time I beat them in sparring :rolleyes:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that can be a problem about bruising easily from your MA class is that some people might start to think that someone could be abusing you--and that can lead to all sorts of problems!

E

Elfan

rachel, do you find excesive bruising to be a prblem with any other activities?

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by The Opal Dragon
One thing that can be a problem about bruising easily from your MA class is that some people might start to think that someone could be abusing you--and that can lead to all sorts of problems!

Is there a story behind that Opal or did you just come up with that off the top of your head :rolleyes:

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MOB, i know you were kidding.:) I'm not used to bruising like this. I believe it's the repetitive blocking in class and my boney little arms.:D I don't bruise like this with other activities. Karate is the best thing I've ever done in my life(besides having my daughter)and a few bruises won't hold me back.

Latest Discussions