Help me be a better instructor

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, that is much the same issue I was describing. The bouncing and width of the feet during transitions.

I also noticed what appears to be uncertainty on her part as to how her feet should be moved. Not only moving up and down, but how to transition to the next move.

Yes. Acknowledging that it's really difficult to do releases in a one-person form, the idea is that you've attacked with a speahand, and they've grabbed your wrist. The obvious release is to move the hand in a circle, levering against the thumb. In the Palgwae 4 video, the body is also twisted and pulled back to aid in the release. This also sets the distance and starts the movement for the spinning back fist.

In his video, the spearhand is at 2:01. She brings the rear foot forward and twists the spearhand to a palm down position. The way I was taught Do San, this is almost correct. The major difference is that as you stpe forward, you're supposed to twist the hand and push the arm down to try and lever out of the grip. As I said, I find this to be an ineffective method of releasing a wrist grab, and in the context of the form, will result in your being far too close to use the spinning backfist.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean now.

I'm not sure what you're referencing here. Azulxs' video, or the Palgwae 4 video? Can you clarify and provide a time reference?

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to your video where he spins and places his hand on his lower back. On the right side I see that, but on the left side (the Palgwae 4) I don't see the hand in the back. As to Azulx' video, and the "head grab," It starts about 2:08. But having looked at it again, I think I am even more confused. It appears that from a strike she begins a cross block left, then moves her hands out and kicks. I am not sure what that move is supposed to do.

There's a move similar to what you're describing in Palgwae 8. It starts with a knifehand block. The wrist is then grabbed and pushed down a bit as you spin, but since this is a striking art, the spin is done to the targets front and ends with an elbow strike to their solar plexus.

Silly striking art. :p Actually, it sounds interesting. I will have to look that up to see. But the technique I was describing was more a defense against a grab to a hand from the front to prevent it from going to a weapon. Anyway, we usually intend to do the grabbing, and in such a way as to minimize the chance for a counter.

For instance, rather than grabbing the wrist straight on, I might step to the left side blocking closer the he elbow, and slide my hand down to your hand, gripping from the top of your wrist, fingers to the inside, cupping my hand to keep yours from slipping out of a grip on the hand/wrist. Then I might strike the back of your hand with my open palm, creating a pull on your wrist and a push on the back of your hand as I step back with my left foot and twist your wrist to dislocate it. Like a lot of Hapkido moves, they sound complicated until you learn them, then they just seem to flow.

I meant to add it is interesting to talk to someone who has a good knowledge of TKD, to see where some techniques may be in a form.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to your video where he spins and places his hand on his lower back. On the right side I see that, but on the left side (the Palgwae 4) I don't see the hand in the back.

It's there. It looks to me like they filmed in one take with two cameras. The hand is on the flank/hip, but due to the camera angle you cannot really see it in the smaller inset shot. That, and the resolution isn't great, which makes fine details disappear.

As to Azulx' video, and the "head grab," It starts about 2:08. But having looked at it again, I think I am even more confused. It appears that from a strike she begins a cross block left, then moves her hands out and kicks. I am not sure what that move is supposed to do.

The move is a spread block, although it's not normally done by reaching up and spreading on the way down. Imagine a person coming in for a two-handed grab at your throat or lapels. The more usual performance of the spread block would be for the hands to come together (or cross slightly), move upwards between the incoming hands and push outwards against the forearms. In Do San, you follow that up with a low/mid-level kick (a high kick would be silly, given the ranges involved).

Grabs/throws/takedowns/releases and such are really difficult to see/understand from one person forms. One of the things I try to do is pair students up and go through these things with a partner. You can see the lightbulbs going off, at times.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's there. It looks to me like they filmed in one take with two cameras. The hand is on the flank/hip, but due to the camera angle you cannot really see it in the smaller inset shot. That, and the resolution isn't great, which makes fine details disappear.

The move is a spread block, although it's not normally done by reaching up and spreading on the way down. Imagine a person coming in for a two-handed grab at your throat or lapels. The more usual performance of the spread block would be for the hands to come together (or cross slightly), move upwards between the incoming hands and push outwards against the forearms. In Do San, you follow that up with a low/mid-level kick (a high kick would be silly, given the ranges involved).

Grabs/throws/takedowns/releases and such are really difficult to see/understand from one person forms. One of the things I try to do is pair students up and go through these things with a partner. You can see the lightbulbs going off, at times.

That all makes sense now. I just couldn't make out the hand in the rear and thought it was perhaps a variation.

But I have been trying to remember a fist spread block in the Hapkido I studied. I can't recall any. Usually we did it with sudo hands, either on the way up, or at the top of the move. Then we added a move against the opponent, including possibly a kick to the solar plexus, or some other pleasantry.

I would love to see how you pair students. I certainly like the idea. When I was in Korea the last time, a small TSD group sometimes practiced in the other half of our military gym. They had a drill where they mirrored each others moves. I always wondered about that. Perhaps it was something to give the students another look at what they were doing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was thinking that is a very wide stance, perhaps it's the style? I was always taught that when doing that stance ( though ours is less deep anyway) the legs/feet should be a shoulder width apart no more. I find Korean forms/katas are more staccato and slower than Japanese ones which I think flow more, that's not a criticism just an observation.
This is about the same for me and the way I was taught, from what I've seen in the past, student and even instructors miss the subtle functions of footwork. The majority of the Korean Forms I've seen have the body moving together with the strike, generally speaking The body stops moving at the same time the strike makes impact. Most of the Korean martial arts that I watch are from Korea.

I'll have to check the TKD in the states. and I know just who to check. Mr. FTF. (functional Taekwondo Federation.). lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is about the same for me and the way I was taught, from what I've seen in the past, student and even instructors miss the subtle functions of footwork. The majority of the Korean Forms I've seen have the body moving together with the strike, generally speaking The body stops moving at the same time the strike makes impact. Most of the Korean martial arts that I watch are from Korea.

I'll have to check the TKD in the states. and I know just who to check. Mr. FTF. (functional Taekwondo Federation.). lol.
Well that was a short trip. He no longer has any youtube videos.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my Taekwondo school, we're taught to keep our stance wide through the stance, and not do an arc. That's how Marshawn Lynch ran in football (bandy-legged, as many people said) and it seemed to work for him.

The one thing I really notice is the kiyhap. It sounds kind of like "yup." Not like "Want to get ice cream?" "YUP!" but more like "hey, teenager who is busy scrolling through Facebook while I'm telling you what chores to do, are you listening?" "Yup." It has no emotion, and it sounds like it has no umph from the diaphragm.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that was a short trip. He no longer has any youtube videos.

The two main styles of American Tae Kwon Do are Tiger Rock and the ATA, if you're looking for what the American version of TKD looks like.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my Taekwondo school, we're taught to keep our stance wide through the stance, and not do an arc.
Most schools, not saying your school is one of them, miss out on the subtle functions of footwork. The arc motion is actually a practical fuction. I can actually take someone down simply by doing that motion of creating an arc. The only reason you'll never see me use in a sparring video is that, there's a risk of me tearing my partner's knee in the processes.

Even students at my old school failed to do it from time to time. They just didn't see the purpose of it, so one day I has a special lecture specifically about that moved and I let everyone experience what if feels like to have someone use that technique on them. Keep in min all of this was done very slowly and pressure was applied very slowly until they could feel their knee trying to bend the wrong way. Going slow allow them to regain some balance and adjust to the pressure. At full speed that time doesn't exists so the tendons and ligaments in the knee would easily tear.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The two main styles of American Tae Kwon Do are Tiger Rock and the ATA, if you're looking for what the American version of TKD looks like.
Thanks I'm going to look now.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just found this one and based on this guy it look like they walk through the stance just as it was shown in your original video. lol

A different school. He walks it in a similar manner to what I was taught, but wider than what I was taught. You can see him walk the stance at 1:25 He brings his advancing foot close to this rooting foot, then advances in an arc. If he step between the legs of his opponent and did this, then he can easily blow out his opponent's knee.

This guy does it as well.

It's just one of those techniques that flies under the radar. Some teach it and some leave it out, and others just don't know at no fault of their own. The only reason I know is because someone told me and from there I figured out the rest. Based on the 3 videos it looks like it's bee a preference for you in terms of how you advance with the bow stance. However in practical application, the arc matters and is important.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh just wanted to add. Historically some systems and some teachers intentionally leave it out as a way to "protect their secrets" so if anyone else tried to copy they will be missing part of the technique and as a result will fail at making it work if they ever tried to use it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most schools, not saying your school is one of them, miss out on the subtle functions of footwork. The arc motion is actually a practical fuction. I can actually take someone down simply by doing that motion of creating an arc. The only reason you'll never see me use in a sparring video is that, there's a risk of me tearing my partner's knee in the processes.

We do sweeps in our defense drills and we use that arcing footwork. However, most of the footwork we do in our forms is related to striking, and the sweep motion is irrelevant if I am punching you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and the sweep motion is irrelevant if I am punching you.
This is a misconception about this type of technique. It's not a sweep. It takes a sweeping motion because that what you need to do to redirect the energy flow. It's close to the ground because that allows you to root in an instant. The closer the foot is to the ground the sooner you can root after transition.

The technique breaks the root and the punch lands when the opponent is at their most vulnerable (without root). If you notice in the form a punch usually follows close behind the arching sweep of the foot. I won't go into the full detail of how the technique works, I have to save some good stuff for my website lol.

But, take a look at a variety of martial arts systems that transition from bow stance to bow stance. You'll see this pattern over and over again. Remember in martial arts your legs and fists can strike your opponent at the same time. Everything doesn't have to be a 1 and then 2. 1 and 2 can happen at the same time. You can break someone's root and punch them at the same time or almost at the same time.

I'll have to remember to cover this in detail on my website and go into detail why it works.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a misconception about this type of technique. It's not a sweep. It takes a sweeping motion because that what you need to do to redirect the energy flow. It's close to the ground because that allows you to root in an instant. The closer the foot is to the ground the sooner you can root after transition.

The technique breaks the root and the punch lands when the opponent is at their most vulnerable (without root). If you notice in the form a punch usually follows close behind the arching sweep of the foot. I won't go into the full detail of how the technique works, I have to save some good stuff for my website lol.

But, take a look at a variety of martial arts systems that transition from bow stance to bow stance. You'll see this pattern over and over again. Remember in martial arts your legs and fists can strike your opponent at the same time. Everything doesn't have to be a 1 and then 2. 1 and 2 can happen at the same time. You can break someone's root and punch them at the same time or almost at the same time.

I'll have to remember to cover this in detail on my website and go into detail why it works.

If you're doing a reverse punch I can see how the arcing foot will add to the power of it. If you're doing a straight punch I see the arc as taking away from the punch, as the direction of the momentum would be going out, whereas with the straight step the momentum is going straight forward.

If I'm driving my legs into someone to break their root, I'd rather do a straight motion than an arcing motion.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I have been trying to remember a fist spread block in the Hapkido I studied. I can't recall any. Usually we did it with sudo hands, either on the way up, or at the top of the move. Then we added a move against the opponent, including possibly a kick to the solar plexus, or some other pleasantry.

We teach it both ways. TKD forms tend to do spread blocks with fists. Because TKD. I personally prefer it with the open hand, because, as with many blocks/parries, I'm looking for the chance to turn it into a grab.

I would love to see how you pair students. I certainly like the idea. When I was in Korea the last time, a small TSD group sometimes practiced in the other half of our military gym. They had a drill where they mirrored each others moves. I always wondered about that. Perhaps it was something to give the students another look at what they were doing.

It's not all that exciting. When we're doing forms, I'll stop and ask people why they think we do X movement, or Y combination, or why the chamber is done thus, and how that movement or combination can be applied to The Magical Real World of Self Defense in the Mean Streets. How can that 'block' be used as a strike? What about as a release? Is there a takedown in that bit? I'll pull someone out to demonstrate the various applications, and have them try them on each other. I also stress that these are never to be considered the only applications, but just as examples. Even with newer students, I try to stress the importance of understanding the principles of balance, leverage, distancing, timing, etc that underlie the actual movements.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good Evening everyone. Here is a clip of my senior student doing our four beginner forms. I would like any feedback possible so that I can become aware of things that I'm not catching to help her improve. Thank you so much for your time!

I am very familiar with your forms but not by the names you use. What style/association are you. The stance is very wide. I use the analogy "it looks like there is a corn cob stuck up their butt". But seriously, think of a capital letter K. The back leg "sweeps" in and out through the forward motion. This is a defensive posture to protect the groin/midsection while moving. A form technique, not a sparring technique.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am very familiar with your forms but not by the names you use. What style/association are you. The stance is very wide. I use the analogy "it looks like there is a corn cob stuck up their butt". But seriously, think of a capital letter K. The back leg "sweeps" in and out through the forward motion. This is a defensive posture to protect the groin/midsection while moving. A form technique, not a sparring technique.

My style is American Tae Kwon Do , what about you ?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't misunderstand, I am glad to help out any way I can. Its just I am not familiar with your poomse names.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't misunderstand, I am glad to help out any way I can. Its just I am not familiar with your poomse names.

No organization, the closest thing would be the ITF Tuls. But we’re not ITF.

Latest Discussions