Hello everyone, introducing myself, don't be afraid to befriend me :D!

GoldenShadow

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I love fighting, hand to hand combat, and weapons (not guns of course!) as well. I am a little young, 16, but I did have enough time to get some Jiu-jitsu and Boxing in. I am currently looking for a legit Ninjutsu dojo around my area for some weapon skills and everything else it comes with. I'm pretty sure I won't have enough time in a lifetime to learn the majority of Martial Arts (who does? lol) so I've picked a few based on what I like, saw, and things that balance out.

What do you guys like? I'm curious to hear what others prefer any why. I will list what I like.

Ninjutsu - It seems like it would apply to real life a lot, and I love weapons so it interests me most and is very lethal.

Jiu-Jitsu/Judo - Grappling/Ground-Game, I like these arts for 1 on 1 fighting.

Arnis/Eskrima - I like this art, there are many items that can be picked up anywhere that are like sticks, and to be lethal with them when needed is handy.

Hapkido - It looks very well-rounded and effective. What do you guys think?

I hope my introduction interested some of you and will receive replies! :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A hail and hearty welcome to the Good Ship MartialTalk, GoldenShadow.

The question of which martial arts suit whom has been much debated over the years. Have a trawl about with the Search function and I'm sure you'll find many words to illustrate just what a tangled question it is :D.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I love fighting, hand to hand combat, and weapons (not guns of course!) as well. I am a little young, 16, but I did have enough time to get some Jiu-jitsu and Boxing in. I am currently looking for a legit Ninjutsu dojo around my area for some weapon skills and everything else it comes with. I'm pretty sure I won't have enough time in a lifetime to learn the majority of Martial Arts (who does? lol) so I've picked a few based on what I like, saw, and things that balance out.

What do you guys like? I'm curious to hear what others prefer any why. I will list what I like.

Ninjutsu - It seems like it would apply to real life a lot, and I love weapons so it interests me most and is very lethal.

Jiu-Jitsu/Judo - Grappling/Ground-Game, I like these arts for 1 on 1 fighting.

Arnis/Eskrima - I like this art, there are many items that can be picked up anywhere that are like sticks, and to be lethal with them when needed is handy.

Hapkido - It looks very well-rounded and effective. What do you guys think?

I hope my introduction interested some of you and will receive replies! :)

First off, Welcome to Martial Talk! :)

As for your question, if you're interested in Ninjutsu, you may want to check out this link. You may find a school in your area. You could also check out the Ninjutsu section that we have here on this forum. There are a number of people who can point you in the right direction.

As for what I like. Well, my base art is Kenpo. I originally started out with SKK under the Villari organization. I then moved to the Parker system and now currently Tracy. I also cross train in Modern Arnis and BJJ. The 3 arts blend very well together.

There are a number of other arts out there that seem very interesting, but, I doubt time would allow me to train in much more than what I'm doing. :)

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings, GS! Good to have you with us.

Every art seems to run the gamut from dirty-gritty street-useful to competitive spectacle. We're always talking about this on MartialTalk. The two main variables you have to consider with any choice of art are (i) How are you training it? (ii) How good are you (going to be) at it? The first one is all about the way you're taught. Shotokan karate, for example, at one extreme is a point-scoring tournament contest; at the other extreme... well, just take a look at the way it's trained and used here, by the Japanese Special Forces. There's Olympic sparring TKD, and then there's the TKD taught to, and used by, the South Korean Tiger Commando units (and everthing in between). And on and on. The second is about how good the practitioner is... and to some extent, that may depend on whether you feel a kind of 'click' with the art. If it feels right, if you like the overall feel of doing the movements, and the moves, then you're probably in the right place.

Visit as many schools as you can, check how the training goes, what the school's emphasis is, and ask any questions that occur to you about the art, the curriculum, the instructors, etc. And especially, whether you like the 'feel' of the place. There aren't any hard and fast rules, but usually your intuition won't lead you astray.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT....

KenJoe

White Belt
Reaction score
As far as choosing styles, I have to be partial to Kenpo since it has developed me alot since I started. But like said before, it depends on your goals. If you aspire to do tournaments then I suggest TKD, because alot of schools seem to be geared to the point system.

If you want real self defense, course Kenpo is one of my top favorites, it has a rep for being very Street Lethal and all the moves are natural body mechanics, so you can use it forever, where as some styles need you to tear down some muscles to do some moves.

I also like BJJ, Kenpo under Parker had some joint lock training but was later removed over the years. You get alot of that type of stuff in BJJ, but I would also take some interest in Greco-Roman Wrestling because it has moves and applications that are quic and easy to learn and could be applied to a style easily, and can be used to defend in a street fight were you do end up in a grappling situation.

But all in all I would look at the students at the schools in your area. If you watch the students and the ones at the higher levels all look the same when they do their thing, no matter how they look physically, then you know the training is good and turns out a good product, if they all look different and it doesn't get addressed then you might want to wonder why.

Also look at the size of classes, if it looks impossible to get any kind of personal instruction you might want to think about that as well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

remember the martial arts is not always about fighting and hurting someone else it also is about mental discipline and being able to diffuse situations or avoid them by recognizing what may be about to happen and finding ways to not get into a fight.
Each art has many ways to defeat a person , some deadly , some hurt , and some only doing enough so that you are no longer in danger.

OP
G

GoldenShadow

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for taking the type to give me useful information! Also thank you MJS for the Ninjutsu link! I will remember all the information posted, I've learned a few new things just from what I've read. Much appreciated!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MT.

Not a bad list of arts, I note the Chinese arts have been left out again:uhyeah:.

Seriously though, you need to go with what you feel most comfortable with. You cannot choose the 'cool' art just because its cool if it doesn't suit you. Can't learn if you're not comfortable and happy with the art. And how you feel about an art will have a lot to do with how you feel about the teacher.

So, find a good teacher and the rest will follow.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

honestly, I think that you can find what you are looking for out of just about any martial art. My personal opinion though, I would advise against only staying in one style for a few months and moving on. As you said, you have a lifetime, so take your time and become well versed in the art before moving on.

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Howdy dude! Every style has advantages and disadvantages. I like to find ways to beat my deficencies. That's why I train in the styles I do. To be well rounded and to see how good I can be. I'm not into competitive "sport" martial arts either, but your always competing against yourself.

OP
G

GoldenShadow

White Belt
Reaction score
Good advice everyone, I will take everything into consideration for sure! I also appreciate all the welcomes, this site is very friendly!

My area around Northern Virginia is a bit limitted, but I guess making the longer trips is part of the dedication to the art. Hopefully gas prices won't kill me before I can advance far into arts :D. But I'm definitely focused on Ninjutsu for now, after doing some research on the arts. So I'll see some of you in the Ninjutsu forums soon, hopefully!

Latest Discussions