Introducing myself

franklinstower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just joined this site to help gain and share knowledge on martial arts. I Did shaolin Kung Fu for many years and Tai Chi. The Tai Chi was a tragic story though because it was not real Tai Chi. Someone from our lineage created it out of Kung Fu moves and they used it in that style basically as a form of moving meditation, for health, and Energy development practice. I only found out it was not real Tai Chi after years of having done it. I still do it because it has been an incredibly effective form of meditation and there is real presence of energies as I practice it.

I presently do Xing Yi. I first learned a shaolinized form of Xing Yi years ago and fell IN LOVE with it. Almost immediately I lost interest in Shaolin because in Xing Yi I found something much more to my liking and resonated deeply with it. I could use all of it in a real fight and it taught me to hit much harder. I also like the repetition of it as it lends itself to falling into meditative states while practicing it.

I keep up on that style of it but am also training a new style of Xing Yi through a student of Victor Fu. I plan to really dedicate myself to this style.

I am most interested in spiritual development and see martial arts as a piece of that path. Daily sitting meditation has been a part of my life for the last 25 years and I make my living teaching meditation although it is from the Christian contemplative tradition so there are some points of difference between that and more eastern oriented approaches. There are lots of similarities too though.

Ok that's it. Hello.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, bro. Hope you enjoy it.:)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes "Fu Style" Are you still practicing Xing Yi?

I was up until last year, knee issues, hip issues and more recently arthroscopic surgery. I am mainly Taijiquan these days and considering a return to Baguazhang when I recover

I have a blog (Neijia Madman) on MT which has several entries on Xingyiquan and I have made many posts over the years on MT as well about Xingyiquan. Many with Xingyi Addict in the title

OP
F

franklinstower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was up until last year, knee issues, hip issues and more recently arthroscopic surgery. I am mainly Taijiquan these days and considering a return to Baguazhang when I recover

I have a blog (Neijia Madman) on MT which has several entries on Xingyiquan and I have made many posts over the years on MT as well about Xingyiquan. Many with Xingyi Addict in the title

I read a bunch of those last night actually. Sorry you had to quit. Im 47 so I am pretty easy on myself when training it and it is way easier on the body than shaolin. Tai Chi is almost healing for the body though.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I read a bunch of those last night actually. Sorry you had to quit. Im 47 so I am pretty easy on myself when training it and it is way easier on the body than shaolin. Tai Chi is almost healing for the body though.

I was 47 once, working on a 2nd time...but I got a ways to go :D

Did Shaolin, many years ago, for a short period of time. For close to 30 years now I have been mostly on the Neijia side of things

Latest Discussions