Heavy bag drills.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- 3 stars (forearm strike - flat, outside, inside)..
- Jab, cross.
- Low hook, middle hook, high hook.
- Groin kick, face punch.
- Side kick, palm strike.
- Back kick, spin back fist.
- Roundhouse kick, hook punch.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Side Kick - Lead Leg, rear leg. Back Piercing Kick. . Let bag swing away after each kick and kick it on the return. with same leg same kick, and with alternating legs.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps you should have got one with instructions, just hit it ,,, hard !!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some ideas. Bearing in mind I'm just a lowly yellow belt. :)

Fundamentals. Practice individual punches and kicks, focus on just one at a time. Concentrate on form, and build them up to speed and power only when form is correct.

One of my pet peeves are schools/instructors that put you up against a 50 part combo that ends up being sloppy in all its parts. Combos can't help if every part of it is sloppy.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you’ve never routinely hit a heavy bag before, you shouldn’t just go all out hitting the thing as hard as you can. It takes time to build up to hitting with significant power. Doing so haphazardly will lead to injuries.

Make sure you’ve got good gloves at least, and wraps if you’re so inclined. A lot of MAists like to punch a heavy bag barehanded for various reason, and none of them work for me. I’ve got better things to do than toughen the skin on my knuckles and bruise up my hands in the name of iron fists that I’ll hopefully never have to use again. It to mention carpal tunnel syndrome and the like. Been there done that, and I really just shake my head at why I did it.

As far as actual workouts, I’ve got some ideas that I’ll get into later when I’ve got some time.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you’ve never routinely hit a heavy bag before, you shouldn’t just go all out hitting the thing as hard as you can. It takes time to build up to hitting with significant power. Doing so haphazardly will lead to injuries.

Make sure you’ve got good gloves at least, and wraps if you’re so inclined. A lot of MAists like to punch a heavy bag barehanded for various reason, and none of them work for me. I’ve got better things to do than toughen the skin on my knuckles and bruise up my hands in the name of iron fists that I’ll hopefully never have to use again. It to mention carpal tunnel syndrome and the like. Been there done that, and I really just shake my head at why I did it.

As far as actual workouts, I’ve got some ideas that I’ll get into later when I’ve got some time.
I get the reasons for using gloves, but I prefer to work barehanded most of the time.

The reason is simply that it's just more realistic. Outside of a planned sport fight, gloves won't be a factor, and the gloves change several key dynamics.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
- 3 stars (forearm strike - flat, outside, inside)..
- Jab, cross.
- Low hook, middle hook, high hook.
- Groin kick, face punch.
- Side kick, palm strike.
- Back kick, spin back fist.
- Roundhouse kick, hook punch.

Side Kick - Lead Leg, rear leg. Back Piercing Kick. . Let bag swing away after each kick and kick it on the return. with same leg same kick, and with alternating legs.

Fundamentals. Practice individual punches and kicks, focus on just one at a time. Concentrate on form, and build them up to speed and power only when form is correct.

One of my pet peeves are schools/instructors that put you up against a 50 part combo that ends up being sloppy in all its parts. Combos can't help if every part of it is sloppy.

So basically just practice the techniques over and over?

I'll get some gloves. When I know what I'm doing I might try without.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep definitely focus on fundamentals. No need to do crazy combos and links to start. Just get the feel of the bag first, the very feel of hitting it lightly. Gentle jabs and reverse punches, maybe round kick and front kick slowly.

I would even start SUPER light. Not even worry about much power to begin with, that can come later. Get technique right and good alignment throughout your body (working on keeping good posture and structure).

Hitting a more solid object is a very different experience than doing them in the air. So ease your way into it. I see so many people as soon as they start bagwork, just start smashing it because that's what they think you're supposed to do.

Once you're comfortable, then work on a bit more speed and power, but I recommend taking note or being very aware of the kinaesthetic feel of it.

And have fun!

Ps. For some reason it auto corrected to "Hitting a Korean solid object...", lucky I spotted that! Thought that was funny XD

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite combinations:
Right hook high-> right hook low-> right hook high
Front kick->jab->cross->jump back (sometimes a hook instead of cross, forces more instepping/outstepping)
lead jab->rear cross->lead hook->rear uppercut
duck->angle step->hook
Yeah...I like hooks...what of it?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing that's fun...get into a horse stance or 'fighting stance'. Put a timer on (at first) at 30 seconds. Throw straight punches/jab crosses at the bag, as quickly as you can for the 30 seconds. take a 15 second break. Repeat until tired. Then go back to combinations, and focus A LOT on making sure your technique is accurate. It's a lot tougher to have good technique once you've already worn yourself out.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RTK, why do you want to do bag work?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another thing that's fun...get into a horse stance or 'fighting stance'. Put a timer on (at first) at 30 seconds. Throw straight punches/jab crosses at the bag, as quickly as you can for the 30 seconds. take a 15 second break. Repeat until tired.
I like to use jab and cross to hit on my heavy bag as fast as I can and as hard as I can like a mad man until I get exhausted (about 60 punches).

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically to be less fat and to practice technique.
I think he means more specific. What purpose is the bag work serving? Is it specifically for cardio, is it to get better at basics, is it to get better at tactics? each has different answers.
For that first one (cardio), I would recommend the jab cross drill me/kung fu wang suggested. For the second (basics), focus on specific strikes and just drill them. For tactics, imagine the bag is a person, use your footwork and 'dance around the bag'.

Those were just the first three thoughts I had...if we know what you're trying to improve the most, people can tell you the drills they do for that.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think he means more specific. What purpose is the bag work serving? Is it specifically for cardio, is it to get better at basics, is it to get better at tactics? each has different answers.
For that first one (cardio), I would recommend the jab cross drill me/kung fu wang suggested. For the second (basics), focus on specific strikes and just drill them. For tactics, imagine the bag is a person, use your footwork and 'dance around the bag'.

Those were just the first three thoughts I had...if we know what you're trying to improve the most, people can tell you the drills they do for that.

Ahh ok. I see. Well I want to have good form, so my kicks and punches etc.. are not sloppy and look right. I was thinking about maybe posting videos on here to get feedback.

Also for cardio so I can burn fat. Maybe a 20 minute blast at the end after the above.

77Wolfpack

White Belt
Reaction score
You stated you are a yellow belt, so i will assume you are new. With that said, dont blast the bag with a lot of power. Go for 25% power so you can build your technique and form first. I watched a couple young dumb marines break their hands trying to show off on heavy bags after being told to be careful.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep definitely focus on fundamentals. No need to do crazy combos and links to start.
Should you train solo move, or should you train combo move? Of course during the beginner training stage, you should start from solo training. The question is when should you switch to combo training?

Almost all my training today are combo training. Since I no longer train form any more, the combo training can give the "short form" feeling.

I can throw 40 roundhouse kicks on heavy bag. I can also throw 40 side kicks on heavy bag. But I prefer to throw 40 roundhouse kick, side kick combo instead.

Latest Discussions