Having your hands up. Self defence.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! When I was young, one time I got into argument with some gang members. I turned my body side way. One guy said, "Are you ready to fight?" If side way stance can mean "ready to fight", the "on guard" stance can send out much stronger "ready to fight" signal. Sometime, that's not good in a self-defense situation when you just want to give your opponent a "surprise attack".

Also if you raise your arms up, how will you be able to draw your knife (or gun) out of your pocket if needed?
I have an old man walk, and an old man stance. I'll have to post a video of it. I think people will get a good laugh since it's a huge contrast to how I look when doing martial arts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm so confused.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
im confused as well.
i still have no idea what drop bears point was.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm so confused.
Drop Bear asks whether one should always wear body armor while walking on the street.

body_armer.jpg

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My street-fighting stance is a Boxer's Philly Shell/Mayweather's Crab Defense (but a little less aggressive and more relaxed, with a shorter leg stance) while maintaining distance that's a little out of striking range.

Most street altercations, starts out with posturing, choice of words, etc. Raising a high guard with hands up, indicates to bystanders and surveillance cameras that I may be the Aggressor and out looking for a fight. Say it's an argument over a parking space and he's yelling about it.....and so are you, but with your hands up in front of face? That may be conceived as escalation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me, I agree with Bear... it is generally an accepted truth that it is a "Good Thing" to be bashed less.

Real world, start of confrontation having arms simply in front of you - not necessarily even standing in a guarding posture (ala boxing/fighting stances) is a much more survivable position than to be caught witht he hands down at the sides. Shoot, if nothing else, a person has to cover a little extra distance and get over/under/around/through the arms. Basics, to me. Hands up, arms in front, chin down, eyes open, weight on balls of feet and knees bent..... 1st day in class stuff, but very very important, and oftentimes the 1st things forgotten when le caca strikes ventilateur.
If you aren't sure you are fighting, it would look a lot more normal just to stay out of people kill zones, and check your hair, when that becomes impossible. :)

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As well as raising a boxing guard and circling round.the demarcated fight area and testing their victims defence with jabs and feints, most drunk or enraged assailants who attack unprovoked, also like to ensure a referee is present to ensure no cheating, and that someone is counting the round length.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most wouldn't probably. Then again one would have to be untrained or an idiot to wade in. Circling for an opening is just basic right?
Sure, unless the other guy wades in, then there's no circling. We don't always get to make that decision.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The altercation was just an example.

There is this theory that in self defence situations you don't shape up, don't use foot work. You effectively do the opposite to what is considered safe in training.

And I am interested to know why.

I know I get my hands up in self defence because I am pretty confident it gets me bashed less.

The radio station was discussing better water management.
That's a strange theory, and one I'm not familiar with. Ever school I've been in teaches some sort of guard, and some sort of defensive stance. Some (mine included) teach how to disguise it, so it is less confrontational, since the larger part of self-defense is avoiding the need for the physical skills.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, I think I'm getting the idea of this thread. I think.

I've never put my guard up before a strike was actually thrown at me in a self defense situation. A fence, sure, not the standard one, though, but one I've drilled forever and like better. I can usually talk down any situation, been very successful at that. (If not, that's okay, too.) I'm more comfortable with the aggressor taking the initiative as I'm a counter fighter, familiar with courts and there seem to be cameras everywhere. And I'm perfectly comfortable trading. I so like the element of surprise.

The older one gets the easier it is to talk your way out of bad situations - because you look old. You're really not a social, or monkey dance, threat anymore. I think most older Martial Artists take advantage of this. The flip side is - if they want to prey on older folks we are less likely to have any mercy what-so-ever. And we have far better attorneys and nice medical plans.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Different methods for different scenarios
What! But surely your standard mma sparring practice works universally for all situations because everyone you could ever need to fight does so by the rules and limitations of mma sparring?

How could we possibly need different methods for different situations?!

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know exactly whats the point of this thread, but as a newer MA I will add my two cents.

1) Many of the street fight or altercation videos I see people have their hands down and get really close with verbal words and heat before the first punch comes. I rarely see hands up unless they are ready to rumble - arranged fight - or one goes into a pure fighting stance - fists up and moves in and so the other matches the stance.

2) I am taught by my instructors to avoid a fight and best way is hands up and open palms outward towards opponent and in a very slight lead stance, but basically in the "please stop I don't want any trouble" pose and loud words of "no trouble please back off" . This allows you to check strike -and quickly change to closed fist and wider stance or blocks/parry.

3) The guy in the video seems to have good cover to prevent injury,tight and chin down, good stuff - but he just takes it all defense until moving away. Maybe he has real training and did not want to hurt the other guy - just toying ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. Waders tended to be ill disciplined that I dealt with. Tended to be a lot easier to with. Those coked up to the eyeballs were a hefty to deal with.
Absolutely, on both counts. (I've never had to deal personally with the coked-up ones, but have trained alongside several who could share their experience.)

It's almost a given that those wading in fall into one of two camps: ill-disciplined (perhaps untrained), or over-confident (by their "math" this will be an easy fight).

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What! But surely your standard mma sparring practice works universally for all situations because everyone you could ever need to fight does so by the rules and limitations of mma sparring?

How could we possibly need different methods for different situations?!

Would not need different methods against a opponent in the ring. A random street encounter could have various differences in how it is approached.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, on both counts. (I've never had to deal personally with the coked-up ones, but have trained alongside several who could share their experience.)

It's almost a given that those wading in fall into one of two camps: ill-disciplined (perhaps untrained), or over-confident (by their "math" this will be an easy fight).

Yes on the latter for sure. It is amazing what cocaine can do to rationally. As I'm sure that who have trained with, will doubt tell for a fleeting moment, it is damn scary. They can strike out and not even realise any drop out. Managed to walk one out once, at the front door, the mood of the guy just switched to red mist in a heartbeat. Thankfully he was talked down by the front door team. Yeah, an engagement would have been the result with collateral damage. Got admit that even I felt a bit apprensive. Guy had roid muscles.

Latest Discussions