Having problems checking low kicks with my stance.....

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find I cant get a good enough angle to check low kicks unless I square my stance up significantly, and I dont want to square my stance up.

Its not like I have a side on boxing stance it could even be classified as a muay thai stance.

But I cant check low kicks to my front leg very well and I end up getting spun around when I try to check.

My rear toes and foot are pointing out to the side, I like it this way because it makes my rear cross more powerful cause it allows for more torque. My front foot is mostly pointing dead ahead although it is slightly pointing in but only a tiny bit. My knees are a little bent, legs shoulder width apart, and you can draw a line through the rear of my rear heel and the front of my front toe kinda like Bruce Lees stance in width (although different for the rest)

I find my rear foot pointing to the side stops my front leg from getting a decent angle to check incoming round kicks from the outside.

If I point my rear foot forward more it squares me up more and I can check round kicks fine but I loose power on my rear cross.

How do you check properly and whats the ideal angle you need?

Does it come down to flexibility or hip position? I find I cant make the check strong with my hips behind it if I stretch my check out too far, im naturally reasonably flexible.

How do I solve this stance/ leg check problem?

My stance most closely mimics Fedors stance.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would help to know exactly what you mean by "checking" a kick. To me, "checking" a kick is an active thing; basically kicking the opponents kicking leg. A passive block (i.e. lifting my leg to catch their kick on my shin) is what I consider jamming a kick.

If you're being "spun around" when you try to check, that means (as I read it) that you're simply being overpowered. Odds are they're using their whole body to build power for the kick. If you're just using part of your leg... you lose. At the very least, you'll need to shift your body weight into the check (if I am correct in that you're talking about the passive block).

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
It would help to know exactly what you mean by "checking" a kick. To me, "checking" a kick is an active thing; basically kicking the opponents kicking leg. A passive block (i.e. lifting my leg to catch their kick on my shin) is what I consider jamming a kick.

If you're being "spun around" when you try to check, that means (as I read it) that you're simply being overpowered. Odds are they're using their whole body to build power for the kick. If you're just using part of your leg... you lose. At the very least, you'll need to shift your body weight into the check (if I am correct in that you're talking about the passive block).

Yes im talking about the muay thai shin check technque for defense against round kicks to the thigh.

If im more square I can check and I dont get turned around but I dont want to square up too much.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you're simply being overpowered. The physics are simple. The kinetic energy in your block (plus the inertia of the rest of your body) must be equal to, or higher than, the energy in their kick. If it's not... you lose.

So either put more energy into your block (other than gaining a lot of weight, you can't really change your inertia...), or move the block closer to them (reducing the amount of energy they've been able to put into the kick).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a definite tradeoff in the benefits of different stances.

A more square stance makes it easier to check outside round kicks to your front leg (and to stop takedowns). A more sideways stance makes you a smaller target and gives you more power on your rear hand, but makes it harder to check kicks and stop takedowns. There are similar tradeoffs with regards to how wide/narrow and high/low your stance is.

It's hard to give you specifics on how to handle these tradeoffs without being able to coach you in person. One thing you can do is adjust your stance from moment to moment depending on the circumstances. For example, you can adopt a more classic Muay Thai stance (very square) while at longer range where the kicks are more of a concern and switch to more of a sideways boxing stance as you move closer into punching range. That's a gross oversimplification of the process, but it might give you something to start with.

What does your coach say when you ask him?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What art do you practice? It's difficult for anyone to give you good advice when we don't know what system you train.

You could try launching a straight kick to your opponent he launches his round kick, capturing his timing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find I cant get a good enough angle to check low kicks unless I square my stance up significantly, and I dont want to square my stance up.

Its not like I have a side on boxing stance it could even be classified as a muay thai stance.

But I cant check low kicks to my front leg very well and I end up getting spun around when I try to check.

My rear toes and foot are pointing out to the side, I like it this way because it makes my rear cross more powerful cause it allows for more torque. My front foot is mostly pointing dead ahead although it is slightly pointing in but only a tiny bit. My knees are a little bent, legs shoulder width apart, and you can draw a line through the rear of my rear heel and the front of my front toe kinda like Bruce Lees stance in width (although different for the rest)

I find my rear foot pointing to the side stops my front leg from getting a decent angle to check incoming round kicks from the outside.

If I point my rear foot forward more it squares me up more and I can check round kicks fine but I loose power on my rear cross.

How do you check properly and whats the ideal angle you need?

Does it come down to flexibility or hip position? I find I cant make the check strong with my hips behind it if I stretch my check out too far, im naturally reasonably flexible.

How do I solve this stance/ leg check problem?

My stance most closely mimics Fedors stance.

I think you should try doing your back foot at a 42 degree angle. If you don't, I don't see how you are building that punch from the ground. All those benefits you mentioned are not going to help you if you can't build any real power! My God Man! :)

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score

A more square stance makes it easier to check outside round kicks to your front leg (and to stop takedowns). A more sideways stance makes you a smaller target and gives you more power on your rear hand, but makes it harder to check kicks and stop takedowns. There are similar tradeoffs with regards to how wide/narrow and high/low your stance is.

It's hard to give you specifics on how to handle these tradeoffs without being able to coach you in person. One thing you can do is adjust your stance from moment to moment depending on the circumstances. For example, you can adopt a more classic Muay Thai stance (very square) while at longer range where the kicks are more of a concern and switch to more of a sideways boxing stance as you move closer into punching range. That's a gross oversimplification of the process, but it might give you something to start with.

He keeps telling me to square up my stance. He doesnt take into considerations dynamics like you just stated.

Muay Thai and BJJ are my arts with a purpose of doing MMA

Maybe I just have to accept that its all a trade off and like you said use a dynamic stance. Thankyou!

Also I thought for takedown defense its important to have your foot behind you in a L position/side position, like in a very square on stance you can just be toppled backwards since you have nothing no leg behind you to stop yourself from being toppled?

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think you should try doing your back foot at a 42 degree angle. If you don't, I don't see how you are building that punch from the ground. All those benefits you mentioned are not going to help you if you can't build any real power! My God Man! :)

:)

Thats a good idea maybe I should tweak my stance just a tiny bit to fit. Thankyou!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no specific stance that is the best for all solutions.
Boxing stance is such today because of how the weapons are deployed and there are only punches being deployed. Muay Thai's stance is used because of how the weapons are deployed and takedowns are not used. Wrestlers use the stance they use because of takedowns.
If you want to be good in all of these areas you will need to learn to adjust and/or modify your stance as the ranges change.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the word "checking" is too "conservative". After you have checked your opponent's kick the 1st time, you have to check his kick the 2nd time, and the 3rd time, ... How many times are you going to repeat yourself like this?

You should

- turn your body into the kick,
- catch that kicking leg, and
- take your opponent down.

The stand up game is over, the ground game will start.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think the word "checking" is too "conservative". After you have checked your opponent's kick the 1st time, you have to check his kick the 2nd time, and the 3rd time, ... How many times are you going to repeat yourself like this?

You should

- turn your body into the kick,
- catch that kicking leg, and
- take your opponent down.

The stand up game is over, the ground game will start.

Awesome thankyou!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is no specific stance that is the best for all solutions.
Boxing stance is such today because of how the weapons are deployed and there are only punches being deployed. Muay Thai's stance is used because of how the weapons are deployed and takedowns are not used. Wrestlers use the stance they use because of takedowns.
If you want to be good in all of these areas you will need to learn to adjust and/or modify your stance as the ranges change.

Cool cheers mate, you know your stances!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also I thought for takedown defense its important to have your foot behind you in a L position/side position, like in a very square on stance you can just be toppled backwards since you have nothing no leg behind you to stop yourself from being toppled?

You can have a square stance (hips facing your opponent) and still have your feet staggered.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no reason you can't have power in your right with your back foot facing forwards. Otherwise don't check. Just lean into the kick.

And I hope your leg can take a shot.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Smaller target?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He keeps telling me to square up my stance. He doesnt take into considerations dynamics like you just stated.

Muay Thai and BJJ are my arts with a purpose of doing MMA

Maybe I just have to accept that its all a trade off and like you said use a dynamic stance. Thankyou!

You don't get toppled backwards. It is sideways.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xQFgFbAA8

mma-double-leg-takedown-o.gif