Have you seen it, or only heard about it?

L

lifewise

Let's face it - instructors vary in many ways. What do you look for in an instructor? How important is it to you as a student, to see your instructor DO what he/she TEACHES?

Some instructors are well into their 70's and they still "perform", for example Chuck Sullivan, IKCA. Then there are others who like to talk about when they "used to do it", and how it should be done, but don't practice/demonstrate it.

I have a great deal of respect for those instructors who are still able to "walk the walk". They inspire people through their actions AND their words, and IMHO they are the best of the best.

Does it matter to you if your instructor only dictates versus demonstrates?

:asian:

OP
D

Disco

Unless the instructor has some major physical limitations (i.e. stroke, blown out knees, fused back, etc.), then he should.......No must be able to perform.
Now I don't expect the level of physical ability to be the same as when he or she was 20 or 30 yrs, but they should be able to demonstrate to some degree, what they teach and want you to do.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree- I like to have an instructor who can demonstrate the moves. I also look for someone who is humble, honest and who gives constructive criticism where needed. I like to know what I am doing wrong and how I can best correct it. It's good to have an instructor who you believe in and who knows the answers to your how and why questions.

:asian: :karate:

OP
L

lifewise

Disco said:
Unless the instructor has some major physical limitations (i.e. stroke, blown out knees, fused back, etc.), then he should.......No must be able to perform.
Now I don't expect the level of physical ability to be the same as when he or she was 20 or 30 yrs, but they should be able to demonstrate to some degree, what they teach and want you to do.

Thanks for your reply Disco.

I agree, the level of physical abilities will not likely be the same as they may have been when the instructor was younger, but there does have to be some quality demonstration on the part of the instructor.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Let's face it, Martial Arts don't make us immortal and I don't expect it to.

As bodies get older they get weaker, but the mind usually stays sharp. I expect at the very least the instructor being able to show us the moves in the form at a proficient level and still be able to show us what we're doing wrong.

Maybe not compete... but as long as they can still pretty much do the moves.

OP
R

RHD

Seeing is believing...Feeling is better.
Mike

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to know that what I'm learning can hurt someone, and the only way I know for sure is if the instructor can hurt me. No brain, no pain.

OP
R

RCastillo

I expect them to do the best they can. It doesn't matter a great much how they move or how great they are, as I may not be able to emulate them., nor should I expect to. If they're professional, teach well, that's what counts. Their reputation will say alot in itself. :asian:

Latest Discussions