Happy medium between TMA and MMA for self defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rook,

The police officers on the board would be the ones clearing up any confusion with regards to real self defense and the methods most appropriate for the general population. I wouldn't be doing it. :)

Look, I had the police at my house every night, several times a night, for a month straight. They filled me in on what real life survival and self defense is. It involves first, and foremost, working WITH law enforcement and NOT against them. It involves not doing anything stupid by trying to be John Rambo and taking things into your own hands.

There are plenty of people out there who are only alive today because they kept a cool head, never presented themselves as a threat, and were never attacked. Do you think they were all ring fighters? If you're constantly getting attacked, you might be doing something really wrong that's causing the attacks. Self defense is about evaluating everything that you do, removing anything that's going to precipitate a life threatening situation, making heightened awareness a subconscious thing, and avoiding danger.

Fighting is the complete opposite to self defense. If you hurt a criminal, and they actually do go to jail, they're probably going to get bail. When they do get bail, playtime is over between them and your loved ones. If you escalated the situation, and made enemies of them, and all of their friends, by using violence against them, they're not going to leave you alone. You've just taken their Respect and Street Cred away. How do you think they can regain that Respect and Street Cred among the types of people that they run with? By taking back what you took from them plus interest.

I think that, at this point, we're at an impasse. That's OK with me. I've used what I've studied to protect my family against real life violent criminals. People are free to study whatever they like. I'd just hate to see people getting killed because they mistakenly believe that escalation is a better method than de-escalation. If that's not what you're preaching, then cool.

The way I do things helps keep my family safe on an everyday basis. Your mileage may vary and I wish you luck with whatever path you choose to take.

Respectfullly,

Fu Bag

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Clearly someone missed this:

shesulsa said:
This thread will be re-opened and will return to its original topic or will be shut down again.

Thread locked - permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.