Happy Happy Joy Joy

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Gotta slow down there, old timer, your not as young as you used to be :D. It might be time to start listnenting to the doctor, people don't heal as fast or as well as we used to when they get to your age, and I can say that because you can't move fast enough to do anything about it.. right now :p. Seriously, take it easy and give yourself time to heal, or you end up out much longer, it took me a while to figure that out. Feel better, maybe find a nice houseplant to beat up on until you heal.

:tantrum:Why you young wiper snapper I otta...WHERE'S MY CANE... don't HOLD me back.... LET ME AT EM :D

I know, I guess my days of jumping down the stairs are over from now on I guess I have to give myself time to get places….a lot of time…since I am now old :D

But listening to my MD is a lesson I learned the hard way years ago and it is STILL hard to comply even though I am older and wiser…… ok older :D

You could take up the recorder! LOL

Don't laugh...I thought about it :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter's boyfriend broke his foot a couple of months ago when his horse jumped around in the starging gate, he had the cast off a couple of weeks then tore all the tendon in the same leg when he came off his horse when out with the morning string, a woman cut them up in her car and nearly hit him, the horse shied, he came off. My daughter has tracked her down and plans to sue.
Poor lad was really fed up with inactivity the first time, he's gutted the second. XS, if you play poker I'll introduce you to him and you can while away the time playing online lol!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My daughter's boyfriend broke his foot a couple of months ago when his horse jumped around in the starging gate, he had the cast off a couple of weeks then tore all the tendon in the same leg when he came off his horse when out with the morning string, a woman cut them up in her car and nearly hit him, the horse shied, he came off. My daughter has tracked her down and plans to sue.
Poor lad was really fed up with inactivity the first time, he's gutted the second. XS, if you play poker I'll introduce you to him and you can while away the time playing online lol!

Thanks but I don't play poker...but now I am very happy I didn't get into horse ridding when I was younger :D

I hope your daughter's boyfriend recovers soon.

Luckily no cast this time just stay off it and ice it as much as possible.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I don't play poker...but now I am very happy I didn't get into horse ridding when I was younger :D

I hope your daughter's boyfriend recovers soon.

Luckily no cast this time just stay off it and ice it as much as possible.

As much as medics and people go on about martial arts especially MMA and even boxing being dangerous, horse racing is probably one of the most dangerous sports in the world, every year jockeys are killed, badly injured and some left paralysed so if people go on at you about MA point them in the direction of horse racing!
They wanted to operate in about three months time but he said no he'd go to physio as he couldn't be off work for that long. Most jockeys refuse casts and use bandages for broken limbs so that the muscles won't waste!!
My daughter was rushed off to hospital a few weeks ago after a horse slammed her up against the wall of the stall, she's ok though. She trains MMA with us all of six stone, five foot of her and says its relaxing after fighting horses lol! don't ever ever get caught in her guard, grown men have been known to weep as she cracks their ribs rofl!

One thing her boyfriend is having trouble with and you need to watch is that he is compensating for the bad ankle and it's putting strain on the other leg. You don't need both legs dicky!!

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Word to the wise ... there is NO chick magnet like a service dog. Especially a big glowing Golden Retriever.

:ladysman:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry no exciting story and no trees involved just age, I guess and past abuse. I have fractured that foot twice before, MA related injuries, but this one is brand new. A couple of months ago I was late and trying to get where I needed to be on time and like I use to when I was pushing 40 and younger I jump down a flight of stairs I (which apparently is not a good idea when your pushing 50) and shortly there after found myself limping. I limped for a couple of months off and on, it would feel better and then I would start my normal routine and it would start hurting again. Went to my MD who referred me to a foot MD and he took x-rays and it is fractured but not separated (a stress facture, who'd a thunk it :rolleyes: ).

As to why I am out of commission for a month, MD's orders to stay off it whenever possible, elevate and ice it as often as possible, at least 20 minutes a day during the week because I work and when I don't work, at least, 30 minutes 4 to 6 times a day. But I do think I might be able to do push hands drills but I have my doubts about any of the forms and this absolutely sucks :disgust:. I am going to contact my Sifu (who is also a doctor) and see what he thinks.

My checkered MA injury past is not good when it comes to listening to the Doctor and I have paid for that so I think this time I will listen and heal like I should, as much as I REALLY don't want to.

Just sit, walk a little and read a lot :cool:
When I was attending college (that's a laugh-- sarcastic)... I lived in a dormitory building that was 9 stories tall. My friends and I would be able to jump the entire flight of stairs by grabbing on the hand railings and swinging down and landing then pivot and attack the next flight. Got to where we would be able to beat the elevator down to the main floor.
Little while ago I tried that same stunt at work and while I made it alright, my body went WOAH! YOU MORON! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING??
I'm 47 and realized that I ain't 27 no mo'. So while I'm in fairly good shape for my age, I need to constantly be thinking that I'm NOT in that good of a shape that I used to be.
Same when I go caving, I can still do it but again my body comes off with "I don't think that's a good idea!"
As with martial arts, I am still working out and doing kata/techs like I used to remember, just not as vigorously as when I could do them. My head kicks are now chest/solar-plexus kicks because I haven't done stretching like I used to.

It sucks getting old but it's a fact of life and it's natural so get over it and take care of the only body you got.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As much as medics and people go on about martial arts especially MMA and even boxing being dangerous, horse racing is probably one of the most dangerous sports in the world, every year jockeys are killed, badly injured and some left paralysed so if people go on at you about MA point them in the direction of horse racing!
They wanted to operate in about three months time but he said no he'd go to physio as he couldn't be off work for that long. Most jockeys refuse casts and use bandages for broken limbs so that the muscles won't waste!!
My daughter was rushed off to hospital a few weeks ago after a horse slammed her up against the wall of the stall, she's ok though. She trains MMA with us all of six stone, five foot of her and says its relaxing after fighting horses lol! don't ever ever get caught in her guard, grown men have been known to weep as she cracks their ribs rofl!

A lady in my Taiji class raises and trains horses and I hear her stories about it and I am rather happy did not choose a career around horses…. And I did seriously consider it twice in my youth

One thing her boyfriend is having trouble with and you need to watch is that he is compensating for the bad ankle and it's putting strain on the other leg. You don't need both legs dicky!!

Funny you should mention this, as I was hobbling back to my desk I noticed my other ankle getting sore and i still have an awfully long hobble back to my car yet...but after I get home it is ice and acupuncture.

Word to the wise ... there is NO chick magnet like a service dog. Especially a big glowing Golden Retriever.

:ladysman:

True but this would also attract the wrath of a rather attractive and well trained acupuncturist I am married to that knows ALL those very painful points :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I was attending college (that's a laugh-- sarcastic)... I lived in a dormitory building that was 9 stories tall. My friends and I would be able to jump the entire flight of stairs by grabbing on the hand railings and swinging down and landing then pivot and attack the next flight. Got to where we would be able to beat the elevator down to the main floor.
Little while ago I tried that same stunt at work and while I made it alright, my body went WOAH! YOU MORON! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING??
I'm 47 and realized that I ain't 27 no mo'. So while I'm in fairly good shape for my age, I need to constantly be thinking that I'm NOT in that good of a shape that I used to be.
Same when I go caving, I can still do it but again my body comes off with "I don't think that's a good idea!"
As with martial arts, I am still working out and doing kata/techs like I used to remember, just not as vigorously as when I could do them. My head kicks are now chest/solar-plexus kicks because I haven't done stretching like I used to.

It sucks getting old but it's a fact of life and it's natural so get over it and take care of the only body you got.

I use to go down stairs like that all the time. and right up until I was around 39 I was still doing that...but I had not done that in years... no reason to.., but I was late and going for the stairs and they were straight and didn't seem all that high and without thinking just jumped.... and now I'm broken. I am VERY good at learning things the hard way :D

As to getting old, it is better than the alternative I always say. :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah...cold hard reality is the older you get, the longer it takes to bounce back. :wah:

But I didn't even bounce once, just jump... thud :D

Hey it is a fact of life and getting old does not really bother me that much, however the heel does at the moment. :D

As long as I can stand up right and I'm not taking a dirt nap I think I'm doing ok :D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Xue. If your like me a foot or leg injury is the worst because I NEED to be able to walk. I'm vey hyperactive.

Hey, you think I could fly out to visit you? Right now I think I could take you. Any other time I wouldn't want to try
icon7.gif

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry Xue. If your like me a foot or leg injury is the worst because I NEED to be able to walk. I'm vey hyperactive.

I like to be mobile that's for sure

Hey, you think I could fly out to visit you? Right now I think I could take you. Any other time I wouldn't want to try
icon7.gif

Visit sure.... fight well.... sure...aaahhh.... did I mention I live in ummm... Alaska...yeah that's it Alaska :D

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry you had a bad landing. Always tread carefully and take it one step at a time and you will heel well and feel good as newel.

Wasn't that a sad stringer of puns? Oh no, people are starting to stair. I better stop this post before I get banistered and railed out of here.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I know the feeling, the fact is I don't even think about my age unless someone asks, and then I have to do the math to figure it out. but my body let's me know that I can't do what I once did, but you know what they say about old age and treachery :EG:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know the feeling, the fact is I don't even think about my age unless someone asks, and then I have to do the math to figure it out. but my body let's me know that I can't do what I once did, but you know what they say about old age and treachery :EG:

I too have those moments (Obviously - see subject of this post :D) but of late I have been listening to what the body has been telling me...except for that one time that was the cause of this thread :D

And so far Ice and Acupuncture seem to be helping a lot :bangahead:now if I can just keep myself still long enough to do the ice 4 to 6 times a day :rolleyes: I think I will recover just fine.... However I will miss jumping down stairs and off of stuff I rather enjoyed that. (low not high stuff - I gave up leaping tall building in a single bound in my early 30s :D)

Well I am off work today so it is now time to go sit down, elevate the foot and pack the heel with ice for the next 30 minutes... 1 down...3 to 5 to go... and by the time that is all done it will be time for my foot to do its pin cushion impersonation.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, I’m going nuts and realizing buying the sheet of cornbread yesterday, that is almost gone was a mistake and I discovered a candy dish I didn’t even know we had which was full Friday morning that appears to be almost empty today. And I don't usually eat a lot of candy and my body is not at all happy I started yesterday. :barf:

So I have taken to designing and building MA training equipment to keep me busy :hammer:, but first it is back to the damn chair for more ice on my heel...again :disgust:

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're probably not too open to joining my television fast, then? :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions