HAPKIDO & AIKIDO whats the connection between these 2 ?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The founders of both studied Aiki-jujutsu under the same master. So there is a big connection there.

As far as similarities go.... I've never studied aikido, but my understanding is that aikido focuses purely on "soft" art - grappling, throwing, redirecting - and is mainly defensive. Hapkido has a lot of soft techniques, but also uses "hard" (striking) techniques, and has a more aggressive approach.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We've had a couple of higher ranked hapkido guys train in our aikido class. Although they include the aikido elements in their normal training, it would seem it hasn't the depth of straight aikido. :asian:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The founders of both studied Aiki-jujutsu under the same master. So there is a big connection there.

As far as similarities go.... I've never studied aikido, but my understanding is that aikido focuses purely on "soft" art - grappling, throwing, redirecting - and is mainly defensive. Hapkido has a lot of soft techniques, but also uses "hard" (striking) techniques, and has a more aggressive approach.

I'm in the same boat, never having studied Aikido. But from observing it a little, I like to describe Aikido as having philosophy or idea of redirecting the attacker until he gets tired and decides to give up. Some of those defenses may in fact inflict pain, but that wasn't necessarily the idea.

Hapkido, at least as I learned it, has sort of the idea that we didn't pick the fight, didn't want to fight, but don't want to do this again. Our techniques, or their application, are more likely to cause great pain, dislocate, or break something, to take away the opponent's desire or ability to continue to fight, or want to again. The Hapkido I learned was very defensive in application, but many techniques can be used in offense as well.

If I have mis-stated Aikido in any way, I hope an Aikido practitioner will correct me. I understand that many of the Aikido techniques we tend to see in movies or youtube clips, without the ability of the opponent to flow with the move and do those nice often dramatic looking break falls, would cause much damage.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is more than a little doubt as to whether or not Choi ever studied with Takeda.

While I find it credible that Choi did study some amount of Aiki Jujutsu somewhere, I just don't find it credible at all that he received any rank from Takeda.

There used to be a huge thread discussing it on this forum somewhere a good number of years ago.

[edit]
Not the one I was thinking of but here:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/102579-GM-CHOI-Yong-Sul-s-first-student
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/35509-Hapkido-and-Jujitsu/page2?p=572904#post572904
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/12094-Differences-between-HKD-and-Kuk-Sool

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aikido and hapkido are Japanese and Korean pronunciations respectively of 合気道. There is a common technical element and study of a common art (Daito Ryu Aiki Jujustu) by Ueshiba and Choi with debate regarding study of a common art under a common teacher.

However, GM Ji Han Jae popularized hapkido and added a great deal of material from sources other than Choi, so there is considerable divergence at that point.

I'm not going to wade into the debate about Choi Dojunim's lineage beyond saying that he claimed to have studied under Takeda. As LKLawson pointed out, there are threads that deal with the subject if you're interested.