Hanging A Heavy Bag

K

Kirk

I got a 75lb. bag at Academy today (WAAAAY cheaper than I saw
anywhere on the net, and it's an Everlast). I want to hang it
from a beam in my garage. Any suggestions?

I put a huge bolt through a ceiling beam, and even then the beam swayed and made noise. Its a seriously heavy bag so I got some smaller pieces of 2x4 and cross braced the beam and its been good for years now.

Put some kind of "o" bolt with either a theaded end with a nut or a hooking latch on it. This will help if you ever need to take it down or move it for some reason c or eye bolts just don't hold too well

What I meant was, I'm afraid of ripping up the trusses in my
house. I don't know if it's even a possibility, with a 75lb bag???

I had the same problem..its not likely, but i just bought the house....

Find the beam you want to hang the bag from, and the one on either side...if i am counting correctly, u should have 3 beams, now :D

Measure the distance between the beams, then drill 9 holes, three on each beam, forming a square, the centre hole being the one you would have hung the bag from if you were to hang it from only one hanger. (if u want, you can cross brace these.)

Hang the bag from the centre hole with a heavy spring, and heavy bungees from the outlying 8 holes to loops around the top of the bag (u may have to modify ur bag a little), or on to the bag hanger-loop itself (although this is less effective).

The bag should now hang evenly between all the bungees, with most of the weight on the top-centre spring...thus spreading the weight (and forces from getting knocked about) across 3 trusses.

It'll take some tweaking to get it right, but i've successfully hung a 55 kilo (120 lb) bag in an apartment using this method, and u couldnt hear it getting wacked from the apartment above.

Cheers

Bao

Thanks, Baoquan, that's a big help!
:asian:

Back