Hanging a heavy bag in a garage

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This can be true, but it the tracks are the right ones the will hold the bag with no problems. The doors are heavy but those tracks are sturdy enough. If it can hold me (250lbs) hanging and swinging from it and 100lb bag will be nothing. Ive done with no problems

B

True enough, but you've got no way to measure the impact you're imparting with the strikes to the bag. Simply hanging and swinging is a very different thing to impacting.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True enough, but you've got no way to measure the impact you're imparting with the strikes to the bag. Simply hanging and swinging is a very different thing to impacting.
Again very true. I work for a garage door company that my family owns, ive been able to install garage doors since I was 16 so I have a little experience with them. Ive also been told by our installers that hanging it from the track you not harm it, but again there always is the risk that it could cause damage but thats with anything. So I guess do it at your own risk. If anything buy another track bracket (20-30 bucks) and put on on each track in the middle of the track for added support, should do the trick.

B

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would sugest you first sister up on the sealing joist and then either wrap it with a hanger and swivel type of arrangement or plate it in with a steel plate arrangement having sistered up two adjoining joists and run a pipe or other steel hanger between them with a swivel again and hang the bag from it. If you do the latter you will want to weld a vertical member that is rigid down to penetrate the sheet rock and put the swivel on that ..

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Picked up a simple free standing bag holder yesterday and it's been awhile but I'm excited to get back on it without fear of ripping my ceiling apart

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have the $$$, I cannot recommend this enough. One of the best investments I've ever made. I still get two cars in the garage, can circle from side to side, etc.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have the $$$, I cannot recommend this enough. One of the best investments I've ever made. I still get two cars in the garage, can circle from side to side, etc.

Yeah, a cornerman would be great but is a bit beyond my budget for now...

Latest Discussions