Hang a heavy bag

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Can you guys help me a bit to figure out what is the best way to hang my heavy bag?
I have a 70kg (bag<160lbs) 150cm-160cm twins heavy bag.

The room that I rent and want to put the bag has 3.22m height. I feel that the side walls not strong enough to hang this bag and if I hit/kick I scare will break out from the wall. It is brick walls.

The best would be the ceiling but it is too tall, I think even with the chain and with the swivel the bag is no more than 2m.

I'm not sure what is the optimal height between the bag and the floor (please help), but let' say have 70cm between the floor and the bag, (the chain + swivel)+bag=2m, so still around 50cm missing from the ceiling.

If I buy 50cm long chain with a ceiling mount it will be 80-90cm chain (included the bag chain and the hanging chain) which is hanging and I scare the bag will move a lot everywhere and it will not be comfortable because of the big moves.

What is your suggestion or ideas, how can I do it?
I don't want to have standing one because this room is used for another purpose too. Should be on the wall or on the ceiling but what is the best way to do?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 245

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Can you guys help me a bit to figure out what is the best way to hang my heavy bag?
I have a 70kg (bag<160lbs) 150cm-160cm twins heavy bag.

The room that I rent and want to put the bag has 3.22m height. I feel that the side walls not strong enough to hang this bag and if I hit/kick I scare will break out from the wall. It is brick walls.

The best would be the ceiling but it is too tall, I think even with the chain and with the swivel the bag is no more than 2m.

I'm not sure what is the optimal height between the bag and the floor (please help), but let' say have 70cm between the floor and the bag, (the chain + swivel)+bag=2m, so still around 50cm missing from the ceiling.

If I buy 50cm long chain with a ceiling mount it will be 80-90cm chain (included the bag chain and the hanging chain) which is hanging and I scare the bag will move a lot everywhere and it will not be comfortable because of the big moves.

What is your suggestion or ideas, how can I do it?
I don't want to have standing one because this room is used for another purpose too. Should be on the wall or on the ceiling but what is the best way to do?

Thank you in advance.
no, you won't break the wall, that's allowing that its a brick wall, in reasonable condition and you use proper fixings,,
heavy bags don't swing excessively because they are HEAVY, OR rather if they do, you have amazing power and or need a heavier bag

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kind of room is this? Is it your apartment or part of a garage or gymnasium?

If that is the room in your attached photo, it looks like your apartment or your house. Honestly I would never hang a heavy bag in that kind of room. You could damage the drywall/plaster and the rafters and turn your home into a junky gym.

A garage with exposed rafters gives you better options.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are renting.....I would get with your landlord and come to an agreement on how it should be installed.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Does your bag have a ring on the bottom of it.

If so you can use a bungee strap attached to a weight to help anchor it to minimize swinging.

boxign_everlast_floor_2048x2048.jpg

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get an extra length of chain and attach it with a solid carabiner. Then you can go from the ceiling. You'll need a bottom weight or anchor though or the swing will be significant.

OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score
OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score
So this is the plan:

this is on the ceiling:
1.jpg

This will be after this:
2.jpg

this will be the next:
3.jpg

And the last which connected to the boxing bag chain from spring:
4.jpg

Makes sense?
This setup the bag would be 90 cm from floor. I'm 175cm tall I think it can be acceptable.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So this is the plan:

this is on the ceiling:
1.jpg

This will be after this:
2.jpg

this will be the next:
3.jpg

4.jpg

Makes sense?
This setup the bag would be 90 cm from floor. I'm 175cm tall I think it can be acceptable.
well the thing is nearly infinitely adjustable ,just throw a piece of high breaking strain nylon rope in there and you can move out up and down to suit,,
there are two contradictory parameters, 1, the longer the pendulum the more likely it is to swing, two, the lower down the bag you hit the more swing,

with say a 5 foot bag, if be tempted to stick it a foot / 18 inches of the floor and then your target zone is well up the bag, then there a significant mechanic disadvantage against the swing, ie the weight of the bag below the strike zone is stabilising it, then you can play with the length of the rope to fine tune it

Last edited:
OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score
well the thing is nearly infinitely adjustable ,just throw a piece of high breaking strain nylon rope in there and you can move out up and down to suit,,

Where should I put the rope, after the ceiling mount?

What is normally the ideal height of the bag?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where should I put the rope, after the ceiling mount?

What is normally the ideal height of the bag?
how heavy is the bag? how high do you kick and how hard ?

I'd just get a length of 250 kg rope and hang it off that

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So this is the plan:

this is on the ceiling:
1.jpg

This will be after this:
2.jpg

this will be the next:
3.jpg

4.jpg

Makes sense?

Gonna need to anchor the bottom of it to reduce swing.

Pesonally, I would just go with
1.jpg

and 2 of these
4.jpg

and a longer chain with the bottom of the bag anchored

OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score

From my first comment:
70kg (bag<160lbs) 150cm-160cm twins heavy bag
I kick hard

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From my first comment:
70kg (bag<160lbs) 150cm-160cm twins heavy bag
I kick hard
get a length of rope, hang the bag, play about with the length until you find the sweet spot,

if you can move a 160 lb bag, hitting some where near the top, then you do indeed hit hard, as 130 lbs (times say 4 ft of bag) of that weight is acting as a counter balance directly opposing the kick, if you doing ankle kicks then it will most likely swing a biI and needs a tie

OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score

I like this idea, this is the cheapest :) so just approx 10 inch higher should be the top of the bag above my head.

OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score
Gonna need to anchor the bottom of it to reduce swing.

Pesonally, I would just go with
1.jpg

and 2 of these
4.jpg

and a longer chain with the bottom of the bag anchored
If nothing spin on the top is not a problem?

OP
B

Badb0y

White Belt
Reaction score
get a length of rope, hang the bag, play about with the length until you find the sweet spot,

if you can move a 160 lb bag, hitting some where near the top, then you do indeed hit hard, as 130 lbs (times say 4 ft of bag) of that weight is acting as a counter balance directly opposing the kick, if you doing ankle kicks then it will most likely swing a biI and needs a tie
This rope that you are talking about correct?
Nylon Rope - Strength

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This rope that you are talking about correct?
Nylon Rope - Strength
I wen't into the local boating shop and purchased 30 meters of 250kg rope that people use to tie their half million dollar boats up, it was 10$ , there normally a x 3 safety factor in rope, so that 750 kg before you actually snap it,

if your particularly worried, double it up, that gives 1.5 metric tones or circa 3000 lbs to hang a 160 lb bag, probably cover it ?

Latest Discussions