Hands at the midsection when kicking

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is exactly what I wrote, and quite clearly, I thought.
Not clear at all when you start replies with this:
No, it's not. TKD is a martial art. WT is a sports governing body. They do not teach TKD. They have no curriculum. They award no rank. WT is clearly not TKD. Or any martial art.
This doesn't say that tournaments are a small piece of TKD. It says they're not part of it. If you want to say something quite clearly, you need to have a consistent message.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why would anyone allow the tournament ruleset to decide how he train.
There are plenty of people who are only interested in the sport side of martial arts. And that's fine. Until they start to believe that the sport side is all there is. Or worse, when they try to convince others.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are plenty of people who are only interested in the sport side of martial arts. And that's fine. Until they start to believe that the sport side is all there is. Or worse, when they try to convince others.
Sport has benefit and there is no argument there. But to think sport = MA just don't make sense.

IMO, MA training has nothing to do with sport. Even striking is not allowed in Chinese wrestling. Striking is trained along with the Chinese wrestling.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I was thinking it would be best to start easy, and then get harder. It seems if I understand correctly you prefer to start harder. I hadn't considered that - thanks.
I don’t see it as harder - just hard in different ways. Since it restricts the arm movement, it makes it a little harder to keep balance, and easier to avoid using the arms to mask bad balance. Most students - even adults - are immediately capable of doing the kick (poorly) with the restricted hand position. They struggle much more with the foot formation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the T stand for in WT? Taekwondo. What is the sport that they cover? Taekwondo. WT and KKW are very much linked together. WT recognizes KKW ranks for competition. WT uses KKW forms for poomsae competition. KKW schools use WT rules for training, and attend WT competitions.

Even if KKW and WT weren't linked, WT is still a Taekwondo competition authority. You must be gaslighting me at this point.

Can you provide a link to a site or document with the sparring rules for that association? All I can find is a website that lists about 4 schools. Which tells me that it's definitely in the minority.

Back to gaslighting. I must be wrong because I've been taken advantage of, where your training is of course the baseline by which all others should be judged. The funny thing is you're accusing my Master of abuse in this post, (abuse by neglect), but you're one of the most abusive people on this forum. Every time you gaslight me or bully other people, I can't help but feel sorry for your students. Maybe my Master didn't do everything you think should be included in the curriculum. I'll take that any day of the week over the way I see you treat people.

Back on topic, I've been on this board and others for 10 years, and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone talk about doing leg kicks in TKD sparring.

Even if they do, my original point was that it was negative points. Which suggests we are talking about the sport side of things. So once again, even if you are technically correct that the majority of schools spar with leg kicks (which is something that I will need a lot more proof before I believe), and that is a different argument than the one you originally set out to refute.
Just a point from an outsider - I have only known one TKD instructor reasonably well (a college buddy). I attended one class. Joey talked with one of his students about using leg kicks to leverage his freakishly long legs. This was almost 30 years ago and only one experience, so I don’t know how representative it is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why would anyone allow the tournament ruleset to decide how he train.

- I teach BJJ as a martial art, not just a sport.
- I teach TKD as a martial art, not just a sport.
- I teach long fist as a martial art, not just a sport.
- I teach Chinese wrestling as a martial art, not just a sport.

For example, the "leg spring" is allowed in Chinese wrestling tournament. But the knee strike is not allowed. When we train the leg spring, we always traing the knee strike as follow up.

Some people train for sport. If that’s what they want to train for, they probably are best served letting the ruleset guide their training. If you want to compete as a boxer, you need to train for that.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's the differene beween a foot sweep and leg kick? Does TKD guys train foot sweep?

Chang Hon has a "Sweeping Kick" so it is part of the system but not part of techniques allowed in competition. As with many things people can argue about definitions. Typically the purpose of the "Sweep" is to unbalance the opponent and is done very low down on the leg / foot which is why it is called a FOOT sweep and not a leg sweep. As shown in the video it is most effectively applied by moving the foot in the direction the toes are pointing. The purpose of a kick to the leg is to damage the leg and targets the leg as opposed to the foot.