Kicks In Competition

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a question for anyone who has fought in TKD tournaments.

I'm hoping to get into some competitions once I've got a few more techniques under my belt (no pun intended). I've been watching quite a few videos of TKD fights, from youth bouts up to Olympic matches. Watching one match, I had a stray thought.

I've seen a lot of competitors at different levels use an axe kick. It seems (from my inexperienced point of view) to be a (relatively) common kick to use. On the other hand, I don't think I've seen anyone use a crescent kick in a bout. What I was thinking about was this: if someone were to use, say, an outside crescent kick, would it be possible for an opponent to misinterpret and react as though it were an axe kick? The two, to me, at least, look somewhat similar.

Just wondering what you all thought. :)

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
For an inexperienced fighter who happens to be a victim of an outside cresent could easily mistake it for an axe kick. Maybe an experienced fighter can tell the difference by how it is starting to be performed. If the opponent sees the leg start to go straight up and they prepare immediately for it then they could easily mistake one for the other.
Personally I don't use axe kicks in sparring. I do use outside and inside cresents, however, and some of my opponents thought it was an axe kick. :idunno: but I guess it just depends on who you fight and what they interpret what's next.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Crescent kicks are a great choice in sparring, as long as you can do them quickly enough - I've seen a few fast fighters deflect or catch them.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The video in my signature is of my daughter using an outside crescent kick in competition, or at least that is what I have always been told it is although 1 commentor seems to disagree with it being called that.

My understanding it axe kicks are up > forward > and outward where a crescent kick is up > over > and around.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The video in my signature is of my daughter using an outside crescent kick in competition, or at least that is what I have always been told it is although 1 commentor seems to disagree with it being called that.

My understanding it axe kicks are up > forward > and outward where a crescent kick is up > over > and around.

Mine understanding is the same... at least, that's the way I teach them!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The kick your daughter threw was a outside in crescent, the side of the foot and ankle is use against the opponet side of there face, the axe kick is an upward and downward motion using the bottom of the foot against the top of the head or shoulders. By the way I love that kick and remember when she threw it.

How is everything with you two anyway?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We're good thanks. We leave early Saturday morning for our great drive across America. Hope to arrive in Detroit Tuesday afternoon according to the current plan, but the plan has changed many times over the last week or so, so who really knows.

Are you guys all set for Madison? Best of luck there. Are you driving or flying?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're good thanks. We leave early Saturday morning for our great drive across America. Hope to arrive in Detroit Tuesday afternoon according to the current plan, but the plan has changed many times over the last week or so, so who really knows.

Are you guys all set for Madison? Best of luck there. Are you driving or flying?

Yes we are driving and we have change plans as well. I will be bringing Zachary down to play at the USAT event, that will be a little hike for the day, but he wants to do both so he will. It was great that USAT is letting them wiegh in so late. Best of luck you both of you and drive safe.

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to have to practice that. I'm getting pretty good at a rear leg crescent kick (technique needs some work, but, hey, I'm only into my 4th month :)), but I've never tried a front leg. Something to practice at work this weekend. :D

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to have to practice that. I'm getting pretty good at a rear leg crescent kick (technique needs some work, but, hey, I'm only into my 4th month :)), but I've never tried a front leg. Something to practice at work this weekend. :D

There you go and keep trying new kick. You will find some you like and some you do not.

Latest Discussions