Haggle on school fees?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
What's the worse that can happen when you haggle? They say no? I know there are some people out there that may get offended when you try to talk them down, but that's a bit ridiculous and it's their problem. A good student can offer much more to a school than simply fees.

Haggle everything! (But also be reasonable.)

Would you haggle a neurosurgeon about to perform surgery on you?

Would you haggle a lawyer about to defend you?

Sure haggle everything?

I'm involved in several businesses, what I have found is when people get something for less they usually appreciate it less.
There was a time when I negotiated my services and when people paid less, I was also very happy to give them less.
Now, I don't compromise from myself or them. They want to pay less, great go somewhere else where you'll get less as well.

Simply put you usually get what you pay for.

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Right now my entire family is suffering financially. I simply talked to my instructor, he said "Pay what you can." I went a month without paying, and he allowed me to attend an MMA class his son put on that cost the same as a month's tuition. Two weeks later, after getting a check from the Army, I was able to pay him. Right now I'm training without paying, and as soon as I can afford to, I will pay him again. I've offered to help out around the dojang or do stuff outside of class for him too, but he's turned down the offers.

If you're down on your luck, talk to the instructor. The way I see it, if they value you as a student, they'll figure something out with you. Then again, my instructor doesn't teach TSD for a living, so that may allow him to be more flexible.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
All the instructors I know teach because they love the art, not to make money. I would never belittle the priviliege of training with them by "haggling".

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am not looking to get flamed, I am just asking.... :)

My question is, are school fees "set in granite" or is there a chance to negotiate lower fees? I certainly want to pay what an instructor and the school are due, but I was just wondering if the prices listed are non-negotiable?

Basically, what is customary?

The reason I ask is with the distance to some schools, price will come into play with fuel and toll costs to attend etc...especially to attend classes on a regular basis which is my aim.

Ask if you can work some of the fees off. You know, like sanding decks, painting fences, waxing old cars.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ask if you can work some of the fees off. You know, like sanding decks, painting fences, waxing old cars.

LOL! But true. :asian:

Traditionally, students worked for their training anyway. Perhaps a better term would be barter rather than haggle.

OP
Emptyhand

Emptyhand

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A lot of great posts, thank you all.

I asked the forum this question so that I would know what is appropriate before I go to the school and talk with the instructors. I do not want to do anything that comes across as not believing the instruction is worth the fee as that is NOT my intent. I know now it is better to accept the fees if the instruction is what I want.

It is not that I can't afford to pay reasonable fees, I just try and fit everything into my budget. Of course, this was not initially in the budget so the spouse was asking me questions. I plan on restructuring the budget now as this is very important to me, and the spouse gave the green light too.

I have scheduled to attend some classes and see if it will be a fit for me and for the instructor.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our fees don't always cover what we need to pay out so if a student asked for a reduction my instrucutor and I, mostly I at the moment, have to pay the bills out of our pocket. Money is tight all round and while we wouldn't see a student not train if they couldn't afford it we couldn't take a new student on who wouldn't pay the full fee.
We have a fair few students but they are nearly all military so are not always able to train due to duties etc so we charge by the session, pointless to charge by the month. sometimes we can have a full class, soetimes just a couple. Last year everyone was on deployment for six months and we had only a couple of civilian students in, that nearly made us close.