Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a Judo practitioner so grip strength is very important for my art however I've always been amazed by the grip strength of Hung gar practitioners of the tiger kung fu, I apologize if I mixed the names and terminology up Chinese martial arts aren't my forte, but I would love to practice them whenever I get the chance.

As I said earlier I'm impressed by the power of the tiger claw and would like to benefit a bit from said practice. To all tiger kung fu practitioners I would like to ask if you could share some drills and exercises that I could do, starting at beginner's level of course, to develop that very neat tiger claw for my Judo grip.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
- Finger pull-ups (pull-ups but instead of grabbing with your whole hand you just hook your fingers over the bar in a "tiger claw" shape)

- Finger Push-ups

- Jug lifting (take an empty protein powder container and fill it with sand or rocks, lift it from the top with your fingers gripping it like a tiger claw, do lateral and front raises with it)

Always get a doctor's clearance before doing these exercises especially if you have joint / muscle problems and / or if you have started training recently.

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
- Finger pull-ups (pull-ups but instead of grabbing with your whole hand you just hook your fingers over the bar in a "tiger claw" shape)

- Finger Push-ups

- Jug lifting (take an empty protein powder container and fill it with sand or rocks, lift it from the top with your fingers gripping it like a tiger claw, do lateral and front raises with it)

Always get a doctor's clearance before doing these exercises especially if you have joint / muscle problems and / or if you have started training recently.

Will do thank you very much.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To develop grip strength, you can do:

- Cane bundle twisting,

- Square bag throwing,

- Brick twisting,

- Long bag throwing,

- Single head twisting,

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's no magic to grip power. Getcha some hand grippers of various strength, and take the plates off your weight bar and pick them up from the side on top. Repeat a lot with more and more weight until you can crush a human head with your fingers.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The strength and conditioning coach at one of the colleges I used to work at did a lot of stuff with towels as grips - put a towel on the pull-up bar, used towels on weighted rowing machines, stuff like that. He did it mainly with the sports that held sticks - hockey, lacrosse, baseball and softball. I’m sure he’d use it for wrestling if we had a wrestling team.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In no-jacket wrestling, you can dig your grip into your opponent's muscle, or grab his skin as you grab on his shirt. This will give you the ability to pull. The grip strength may not be that useful in no-jacket wrestling.

It's very useful in jacket wrestling. When you get hold on your opponent, if he can't break your grips, he can't apply any technique on you. Your strong grips can stop all your opponent's offense. It's quite useful IMO.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a Judo practitioner so grip strength is very important for my art however I've always been amazed by the grip strength of Hung gar practitioners of the tiger kung fu, I apologize if I mixed the names and terminology up Chinese martial arts aren't my forte, but I would love to practice them whenever I get the chance.

As I said earlier I'm impressed by the power of the tiger claw and would like to benefit a bit from said practice. To all tiger kung fu practitioners I would like to ask if you could share some drills and exercises that I could do, starting at beginner's level of course, to develop that very neat tiger claw for my Judo grip.
Get some gymnastics rings, position them over a muddy puddle, swing your legs up so your hanging upside down , and hang on, it's amazing how your grip strength improves, when the consequwater of letting go,are landing your head in horrible dirty water. I suppose hanging upside down 60ft above concrete would be bettet, but baby steps

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
dunno the proper term, but the 'dropping the big brick and catching it with your fingers' one :p

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Get some gymnastics rings, position them over a muddy puddle, swing your legs up so your hanging upside down , and hang on, it's amazing how your grip strength improves, when the consequwater of letting go,are landing your head in horrible dirty water. I suppose hanging upside down 60ft above concrete would be bettet, but baby steps
Another good one I used to do when I had a lot less sence, is to hold a 7 lb, sledge hammer, by the bottom of the handle, so the weight is high in the air, and then lower it, slowly, till the weight touches your nose and then back up again. That does wonders for grip and wrist strengh, but not so good for your nose if you mess,up

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can always use your right hand to twist on your left wrist when you watch TV.
Inter linking your fingers and pulling them apart with your shoulder muscles, is good for grip and shoulder muscles, and also has the exercise whilst watching the footy benifit, but we live in an age of devices and people won't exercise unless they have a device, that said you can use a grip spRing whilst watching telly and they are very cheap,

Latest Discussions