Sammo Hun doing Hung Kuen

AnnunakiKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
*Sammo Hung*

Let me start by saying I don't know much about other forms of chinese kung-fu other than what i already know (which is noobsauce) about Wing Chun. In Ip Man 2 Sammo Hung portrays a master of Hung Kuen which from what I understand is a tiger-esque style of Kung-fu. I was watching the way he fought in the movie and I noticed that while he was blocking all of the boxer's punches he had his hands formed into a claw. Which I assume is a tiger's claw. Wouldn't this be something to not do in any kind of fight? I mean it seems like someone could easily hurt the crap out of your fingers which would basically leave you with no hands. By the way I watch Ip Man a lot. Donnie Yen is somewhat of a hero of mine.

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is movie kung fu. While entertaining, don't read too much into a system from what you see in the movies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is movie kung fu. While entertaining, don't read too much into a system from what you see in the movies.

I completely agree with this

*Sammo Hung*

Let me start by saying I don't know much about other forms of chinese kung-fu other than what i already know (which is noobsauce) about Wing Chun. In Ip Man 2 Sammo Hung portrays a master of Hung Kuen which from what I understand is a tiger-esque style of Kung-fu. I was watching the way he fought in the movie and I noticed that while he was blocking all of the boxer's punches he had his hands formed into a claw. Which I assume is a tiger's claw. Wouldn't this be something to not do in any kind of fight? I mean it seems like someone could easily hurt the crap out of your fingers which would basically leave you with no hands. By the way I watch Ip Man a lot. Donnie Yen is somewhat of a hero of mine.

As for this, real tiger kung Fuis pretty darn hard on the fingers with a lot of their version of iron palm training. I would not be at all surprised if many of them did not end up crippled in their old age

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is a video of some basic Hung Gar applications. As has been noted, I wouldn't look to a movie to see how a style really fights.

On a side note, how many of you noticed that the plot to IP2, was almost the same as Jet Li's "Fearless"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions