Big Boy Kung Fu

ajax_general

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I guess this might go in the beginner's section, but it relates specifically to Chinese arts.
I am built like a defensive tackle, 6'4" 300 pounds. I know I have to lose about 50 lbs or so to be in proper shape, but my question was:
Have any of you seen or heard of anyone shaped like a refrigerator successfully performing kung fu (drunken gorilla style)LOL!

I am interested in the Southern Shaolin styles, Hung-ga (tiger-crane) because I have a very strong lower body and can generate a lot of power from low stances, but cannot perform any acrobatics or high kicks or lightning fast footwork techniques (eagle claw, etc).

Any input as to what, if any, Chinese style might be complimentary to my body proportions. Even, perhaps any other discipline that you think I should try.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers!

PS: Now that I think of it, Sammo Hung is a disciple of Wing Chun, no?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gee , mate your a big unit aren't ya . You could try Wing Chun because you don't kick above the waist , but make sure you find a reputable school .
If you see any little kid instructors in there or a hundred trophys up on the wall get the hell out of there and try somewhere else.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could investigate SPM. One of the instructors at my school is tall and built like a bull. The style is perfect for him, no *acrobats* and any kicks are below the waist. I don't know if a qualified instructor would be available in your area though. It's at least worth considering.

OP
A

ajax_general

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. As a former police officer (only at 240), I had pretty good results when grappling in a street environment and really learned how to use my size/weight to my advantage. And what I mean by "grappling" is really just grabbing somebody and slamming them to the ground followed shortly by landing on them! Real finesse that is...
I figure I need to work on some striking skills and speed to balance that out as thankfully I haven't met that Bruce Lee-type that will just dance around and pepper me to death!

I am also considering Wing Chung, but never considered SPM. It sounds very tempting and I might have to look around for an instructor in my area. South Florida, btw. But, they might have to call it "The Bug That Ate New York" instead of praying mantis by the time I'm done. :D

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont think many traditional styles like southern shaolin are good for big people. I think Lohan kung fu is good for big folks and thats a massively old and traditional style, if you can find a class I'd give it a chance, at least watch and see. I think Northen kung fu's are also good for tall people.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't just find one class and attend religiously without being sure its good. Try lots of classes (participate, read about them, watch them or otherwise) until you get one you love

Last edited:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miami. Though, I'll more than likely be moving to the Kennesaw area in about a year. I want to be able to continue with the same system after I move.

Damn... bummer... well...

Andy Chung & his Luk Hop School. He's somewhere in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. He's got exactly what you're after, but I don't know if he's teaching it anymore. Anyway... go see him about SPM or Wing Chun or Xingyi.

Chung's Luk Hop Kung Fu & Tai Chi
3300 SW 46th Ave, Davie, FL 33314
(954)224-9940

If you're moving to Kennesaw in the next year... not much up that way. There's some Wing Chun in the area. Xingyi in ATL & some SPM too, but they're both in downtown. Not far on the interstate from Kennesaw.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont think many traditional styles like southern shaolin are good for big people. I think Lohan kung fu is good for big folks and thats a massively old and traditional style, if you can find a class I'd give it a chance, at least watch and see. I think Northen kung fu's are also good for tall people.

Why aren't Southern CMA's good for big people?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey hows it going being from Miami myself Anta's might be what you are looking for.

In the area of Wing chun plenty of teachers here in Miami.

There is someone down here doing Praying Mantis

Andy Chung I have met he is quite expensive but he is also a big guy.

Wang shu jin practiced Bagua,Hsing yi, and Tai chi chuan and he was a real big guy So you can practice any art. :)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey hows it going being from Miami myself Anta's might be what you are looking for.

In the area of Wing chun plenty of teachers here in Miami.

There is someone down here doing Praying Mantis

Andy Chung I have met he is quite expensive but he is also a big guy.

Wang shu jin practiced Bagua,Hsing yi, and Tai chi chuan and he was a real big guy So you can practice any art. :)

Yep Andy Chung is not small & Wang Shu Jin wasn't a real big guy... for Chinese he was frikin huge!!!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sammo Hung comes to mind...:)

It's like Sammo says... "I'm not out of shape, just fat". But he's not that big. Wang Shu Jin was probably in the 300-325 +/- range. I don't know how tall he was, just big. Against Robert Smith in a video I saw, they looked about the same height.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yee's Hung Ga... good stuff if they're carrying Sifu Yee's name.

No Hung Ga in Atl. Used to be some, but not now. There's some Taiwanese Hung Kuen, but it's not quite the same.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score

What experience are you basing this on?

OP
A

ajax_general

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your responses!

Just saw an old video of Wang Shu Jin. Never seen a big guy move like that, amazing! And I thought Bolo Yeung was big for a Chinese man.

Sifu Yee is about a 30 minute drive from me, but if anyone thinks this school is worth it, I wouldn't mind the drive a few times a week.

I have also heard some good things about Steve Chin (Wing Lung Kung Fu & Tai Chi Assoc) and he his relatively close to me. But he teaches Northern Shaolin and Eagle Claw. Don't know if I can keep up with that style.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just as a point to consider. Southern Chinese tend to be shorter while Northern tend to be taller. There are a lot of 6 footers in the North.

But that should not rule out a southern style for a taller person. I did some Wing Chun and I'm 6'1" tall

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about Andy Chung in Davie? Too far?

I don't remember Miami being that bad a drive from a friend's house in Davie when I was there. Like 30-45 minutes down I95...

Latest Discussions