Green lantern updated trailer from convention

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I did want more action..

I am just tired of Origin Stories.
Without an origin story the audience, most of whom probably never picked up an old GL comic, would have absolutely no point of reference as to motivations, etc. It would only be appreciated by we old-timers.

Not enough money there.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Without an origin story the audience, most of whom probably never picked up an old GL comic, would have absolutely no point of reference as to motivations, etc. It would only be appreciated by we old-timers.

Not enough money there.

i give it to you for a NEW hero..

But, for Batman...Superman..Spiderman???? Come on already..we've had enough..lets get some good superhero movies in like Iron Man 2 and The Dark Knight.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i give it to you for a NEW hero..

But, for Batman...Superman..Spiderman???? Come on already..we've had enough..lets get some good superhero movies in like Iron Man 2 and The Dark Knight.

While Batman Begins and Iron Man were both terrific movies, I agree that The Dark Knight and Iron Man 2 were better than the originals, as was Spiderman 2. In each case, not being bound to waste the first Act on the hero's backstory allowed the plots to move better, and allowed for more development of the villain. And as we all know, the movie's only as good as its villain.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm really tired of the old superhero formula or giving an origin then getting on with it. Why not just get on with it? We learn all we need to know about the character from his actions.

A GL story should be pretty straightforward to do. A ring that creates anything you imagine. You can easily start the movie with some crazy, insane scene that makes absolutely no sense (but all tinted green) then pull back to see Hal or Jon or Guy or Kyle or Alan waking up from a dream and the scene dissipates. Then it's clearly established that whatever happens in your head is made material.

It's like before Kyle learned to stay focused all the time and anything that would pop into his head would be real. Like remembering his dead ex girlfriend while watching a movie they used to love and oh, there she is walking out of the kitchen and coming to join you on the couch.

Don't think the mental discipline thing was handled well in the movie either. There's a reason most of the GLs are military, Hal (USAF), John (USMC and architect), Guy (US Army). You have to be totally focused at all times, mind like a laser, always on task because the moment your mind wonders you are lost. It could have been an effective treatise on mental discipline, focus, meditation, all the things we use in MA.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Will Power and Focus power is totally different IMO...the focus comes in while trying to hold a construct...but the will power is what gives it, its ooph

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I finally watched GL this past weekend and as much as I liked it, to me it felt pretty rushed. It actually could've been a little longer with a little more action IMHO. I was more of a Marvel geek growing up but as far as DC characters go GL was one of my favs, so it was nice to see him finally get his own movie.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've let it soak in and thought about it for a while. The movie itself is not bad. What fails is the characterization of Hal. He is meant to be a cocky, too brave for his own good, self assured to the point of crazy type of character. There is a reason they refer to him as the bravest superhero ever.

They got the cocky part, but Hal never really felt that brave. He was in fact quite the opposite, he didn't want the responsibility! So not in keeping with the person he is. Hal is the dude that went into situations Superman wouldn't go (like reigniting the sun!). I guess my main problem is that he didn't feel confident enough, didn't come off nearly brave enough. He's ex-Air Force and sees the GL Corps as an extension of what he's always done.

Latest Discussions