Green lantern updated trailer from convention

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll be going opening night too. I'm praying, though, that it doesn't suck...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm freaking out about this too. I've always been a DC nerd and my favorites have always been Superman, Batman, Flash and GL so any one of them getting a movie is a big deal for me.

I will also be there opening night, might even take the day off work and watch it over and over (like Batman or Star Wars).

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
So i went to Wal-Mart to get a new Green Lantern T-shirt for the movie premire next weekend..and I thought...I wonder what kind of toys they have because with big Superhero Movies..there are usually some cool toys/action figures.

I get to looking around..and there was a whole kiosk there, with Pharallx and Killawog and even some really high detail Hal Jordan Action figures...but what really caught my eye was this mother and her two sons looking over the merch...As I a 24 year old having a nerdgasim over all the cool stuff, being that GL is one of my favorite DC heros...I see the two boys looking over everything in confusion. The oldest boy..couldn't be maybe 14 years old..said "Mom, what Green lantern?" and the mother said "Yeah, IDK, I have never heard of him."

Am I just getting old here?! Or are kids not reading comics, watching the justice league..SOMETHING! Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman...All considered American Icons...something is wrong with these kids..lol​

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So i went to Wal-Mart to get a new Green Lantern T-shirt for the movie premire next weekend..and I thought...I wonder what kind of toys they have because with big Superhero Movies..there are usually some cool toys/action figures.

I get to looking around..and there was a whole kiosk there, with Pharallx and Killawog and even some really high detail Hal Jordan Action figures...but what really caught my eye was this mother and her two sons looking over the merch...As I a 24 year old having a nerdgasim over all the cool stuff, being that GL is one of my favorite DC heros...I see the two boys looking over everything in confusion. The oldest boy..couldn't be maybe 14 years old..said "Mom, what Green lantern?" and the mother said "Yeah, IDK, I have never heard of him."

Am I just getting old here?! Or are kids not reading comics, watching the justice league..SOMETHING! Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman...All considered American Icons...something is wrong with these kids..lol​

booo on the ignorant mother! :lol:

Don't blame the kids tho: Comics are only available in books stores and specialty stores. The kind of establishment you don't come by every day...they certainly don't live in the mall where I live.

And the Justice League has not been on TV at a decent hour in years!
(I had never heard of the Green Lantern before I saw the show...but he was pretty cool, maybe to square, but pretty good, imagine my surpr4ise when I saw his other green lantern buddies...he is not a unique class in the Superhero Universe...)

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Don't blame the kids tho: Comics are only available in books stores and specialty stores. The kind of establishment you don't come by every day...they certainly don't live in the mall where I live.

(I had never heard of the Green Lantern before I saw the show...but he was pretty cool, maybe to square, but pretty good, imagine my surpr4ise when I saw his other green lantern buddies...he is not a unique class in the Superhero Universe...)

Thats what makes him so cool...Green Lanterns are like the Galactic Police...so he can call for backup if he needs it..and of course..its all a matter of willpower!

One year i want to have all my buddies dress up like different types of Green lanterns and we all do the whole Green Lantern Corps..they are cooler in numbers.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am 35 now and have been a Green Lantern geek since I was 8 years old when my cousin introduced me to the GL Corps.
I got Martin Nodell to autograph a few comics back in 1993. Nodell created Green Lantern in the early 1940's.

AoG

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Comics are a dying hobby. Print runs are way down from the heyday of the eighties and pretty much all the people who buy comics are people in the 35+ demographic from what I recollect from reading an article on the industry.

Kids these day learn about super heroes from cartoons or movies, not from reading comics. Of course considering each book sells for $3 a copy, it can be an expensive habit to get into. When I was growing up, comics were like 50 cents and you could buy them from the magazine racks at grocery and convenience stores. At this point I'm just happy I can share the Young Justice cartoon with my kid. He's interested in 'reading' my comic collection, but the writing in them has gone adult as well - they're not always something I would be comfortable sharing with a 5 year old.

The Green Lantern has always been my favorite hero above anyone else including Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, etc. So I'll be watching the movie with great interest. I hope it is a good movie and a hit, so they can make sequels. Would love to see Guy Gardner make a guest appearance in a future movie.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats what makes him so cool...Green Lanterns are like the Galactic Police...so he can call for backup if he needs it..and of course..its all a matter of willpower!

Did you ever read the short-lived Darkstars series? They were sort of a rival intergalactic police outfit along the lines of the GL Corps.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Comics are a dying hobby. Print runs are way down from the heyday of the eighties and pretty much all the people who buy comics are people in the 35+ demographic from what I recollect from reading an article on the industry.

Kids these day learn about super heroes from cartoons or movies, not from reading comics. Of course considering each book sells for $3 a copy, it can be an expensive habit to get into. When I was growing up, comics were like 50 cents and you could buy them from the magazine racks at grocery and convenience stores. At this point I'm just happy I can share the Young Justice cartoon with my kid. He's interested in 'reading' my comic collection, but the writing in them has gone adult as well - they're not always something I would be comfortable sharing with a 5 year old.

The Green Lantern has always been my favorite hero above anyone else including Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, etc. So I'll be watching the movie with great interest. I hope it is a good movie and a hit, so they can make sequels. Would love to see Guy Gardner make a guest appearance in a future movie.

The kids would buy the comic books, still! But they don't often get out where they are!
(and I totally agree on the writing, it's had to find comic books suitable for the under 35 crowd!)

Kids - teens have relatively little problems dropping 10 bucks on a Manga book...Much more to choose from.

I think the industry is not very smart in neglecting the new generation customers.

But then again.... Industry and smart does not go along well...
(the baseball card hobby died when they when nuts with the inserts and subsets, and the diecast hobby went along the same way, plus suffering from a lack of characters to pull for)

I think they are seriously blowing it: The Sunday Funnies in the papers are still a draw!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I didn't...can you give me some more detail on it?

Oh yeah, I remember them quite well. They had their own story brewing in the back during Kyle Ryner's first year as GL when he was on his "Hero Quest" (you can find the graphic novel now I think). But in any case, it was a story about Kyle getting the ring at the time when there was no Corps so he goes to all the DC greats to learn. But on the back page of every issue there was always one picture of some sort of battle scene that revealed enough in months to show that the Darkstars were warring with someone.

At this point John Stewart and Jade, two former Lanterns were now Darkstars. The deal is, they are an intergalactic police force style purposely after the GL Corps. Except the guys who serve as their version of The Guardians didn't have magic. So they were powered by an armor called the Exo-mantle. The powers themselves was your usually "superman suite" but based upon personal force fields.

They rose up in the modern era but never recruited in the numbers of had the reach the GLs did. Then Hal went evil, destroyed Coast City, killed the Corps, etc, etc and Kyle was the only GL left. So at this point the Darkstars had to step up their mission and fill the gap.

Man, I have not thought about those guys in years. They were awesome!

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Darkstars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstars

Darkstars_001.jpg

darkstars.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just have to say that I was leery after the movie was blasted by the critics, but my kids took me today and I loved it. As far as I'm concerned, it's as good as Iron Man and way, way more successful than Thor.

It did move at a fast clip, and they had a lot of characters to get involved, but I thought it was terrific. Easily one of my favorite superhero movies thus far.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just have to say that I was leery after the movie was blasted by the critics, but my kids took me today and I loved it. As far as I'm concerned, it's as good as Iron Man and way, way more successful than Thor.

It did move at a fast clip, and they had a lot of characters to get involved, but I thought it was terrific. Easily one of my favorite superhero movies thus far.

Oh I agree...and the charecters were casted perfectly..

I saw it in 3D Midnight showing...the theater wasn't packed to capacity..but then again it was a Thursday Night Friday morning, and people gotta work.

I am sovery much hoping for the sequel.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just don't understand the reviews. While there are movies I've enjoyed in spite of bad reviews, I can typically understand at least what the reviewers were talking about. And with the advent of Rotten Tomatoes, distilling every review into an aggregate score, I've found that it's usually pretty accurate.

But I've never had a situation where two movies have been so far off, where I've disagreed so completely with just about every reviewer. I mean, Thor was marginal. It wasn't terrible, but isn't something I'd care to see again, yet received very good reviews overall and scored somewhere in the high 80's on RT.

Conversely, Green Lantern was a funny, action filled, superhero movie, and yet it's being panned by the press. I'm hoping they introduce the Flash or Green Arrow in the next one. Hell, with these reviews, I'm hoping they even make a next one.