GPS... is it worth it?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a GPS unit, as I'll be doing some road trips this summer - are they worth it? Or should I just stick with maps? If they are worth it, which one would you get, and why? And are there any associated fees? Is there a subscription fee for the connection to the navigation system? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a Street Pilot and I love it. No subscription fees. There are periodic updates (new roads/listings) you may have to purchase with some units. My cell phone even has a pay per use function. :). You can get higher priced units that are receiving real time info for traffic alerts.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a GPS unit, as I'll be doing some road trips this summer - are they worth it? Or should I just stick with maps? If they are worth it, which one would you get, and why? And are there any associated fees? Is there a subscription fee for the connection to the navigation system? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am assuming you are talking about GPS with maps. Yes, they are worth it. The only fees are for the updated maps that you load from your computer. You don't have to buy them but it is much like buying a new atlas every year, so you have all the new road changes.

IMO, the best brand of GPS to purchase is Garmin, hands down! I own a small handheld Garmin GPS I use for hunting, fishing, biking, hiking, etc. It doesn't have maps. As for the GPS service, it is free. Not like satellite radio. ;)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am assuming you are talking about GPS with maps. Yes, they are worth it. The only fees are for the updated maps that you load from your computer. You don't have to buy them but it is much like buying a new atlas every year, so you have all the new road changes.

IMO, the best brand of GPS to purchase is Garmin, hands down! I own a small handheld Garmin GPS I use for hunting, fishing, biking, hiking, etc. It doesn't have maps. As for the GPS service, it is free. Not like satellite radio. ;)

Defintley agree with ya on getting a Garmin. :)

MetalStorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Been debating about getting one for my car as well, I think they would be great for work when I have to drive to appointments at weird little shops on streets no one has heard of.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm assuming that when we're speaking of GPS units we're talking about what we call Satellite Navigation (SatNav for short) over here?

It has to be said that I hope that the American kit is superior to what we get as SatNav is a decided figure of fun for how inaccurate and misleading it tends to be.

Only yesterday, one of my fellow engineers set off to a well known nuclear station to do some work fixing one of their systems. He duly punched the {wrong :lol:} postcode (zip code) into the SatNav and it merrily lead him off to the wrong part of the country.

Now admittedly the error was exacerbated because he's relatively new to the country and so didn't pick up that he was going the wrong way but it is illustrative of the point. Mind you it also proves the strength of the 'garbage in garbage out' rule of thumb :D.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are fancy toys, and prime targets for thieves. I would stick with a good street atlas.

I have a field service position, and I travel extensively. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop computer - and in the past have used the DeLorme' Street Atlas. Both software programs have a GPS receiver that can connect to the map. I used to use the GPS functionality with the software, oh maybe 6 years ago. It was a bit difficult to use while driving.

I'm certain the interfaces are better today. But, just having a good street map, and knowing how to use it, is far more flexible, and far less annoying.

I will tell you one story, in favor of a GPS. A gruop of colleagues were travelling in a remote town, and needed a hospital in a hurry, and the GPS in the rental car was able to provide directions to the nearest hospital.

But, usually, we use the GPS' for direction to the resturant for dinner. And you can usually get that advice for free, just by asking.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are fancy toys, and prime targets for thieves. I would stick with a good street atlas.

These days, they make portable ones you can keep secure or remove such as the StreetPilot. GPS devices have dramatically improved in the last 6 to 10 years.

The little Garmin StreetPilot will give you turn by turn directions on screen with voice. It can be removed and darn near carried in a trouser pocket. Now I wouldn't want to use a laptop based GPS system. Too big and bulky. Having one that connects to my treo 650, sure. That would work.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These days, they make portable ones you can keep secure or remove such as the StreetPilot. GPS devices have dramatically improved in the last 6 to 10 years.

The little Garmin StreetPilot will give you turn by turn directions on screen with voice. It can be removed and darn near carried in a trouser pocket. Now I wouldn't want to use a laptop based GPS system. Too big and bulky. Having one that connects to my treo 650, sure. That would work.

This is a bluetooth GPS receiver if you already have map software for your Treo. I'm thinking about buying it for my crackberry. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Gps...0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1176845126&sr=1-6

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The GPS technology has not changed in the last 10 years. The satellites are exactly the same today as they were then. Decoding the statellite data has not changed either. When I was using Street Atlas with the GPS, it would provide me turn by turn directions as well, and tell me my altitude, speed and direction.

As for the size of the device, that is a matter of choice. Smaller is not necessarily better.

But, they are still targets for thieves. One colleague has had two of her Garmen's stolen out of automobiles ... smashed windows. Another colleague has a passenger lock cylinder that is broken, because someone jacked it in an attempt to get at his GPS - which wasn't in the vehicle, only the GPS bracket was in the car.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A co-worker of mine has a NavMan and really likes it. His eldest son plays hockey all over the state. He plugs the arena and hotel address in and off he goes.

He showed it off when we went to lunch one day. He selected Subway from the restaurant choices in the area and it mapped it out for us. He took a wrong turn on purpose and the thing automatically redid the route based on the wrong turn. It was really nice.

I wouldn't not buy it out of fear for what someone else may do. I don't buy one because I'm cheap. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The GPS technology has not changed in the last 10 years. The satellites are exactly the same today as they were then. Decoding the statellite data has not changed either. When I was using Street Atlas with the GPS, it would provide me turn by turn directions as well, and tell me my altitude, speed and direction.

As for the size of the device, that is a matter of choice. Smaller is not necessarily better.

But, they are still targets for thieves. One colleague has had two of her Garmen's stolen out of automobiles ... smashed windows. Another colleague has a passenger lock cylinder that is broken, because someone jacked it in an attempt to get at his GPS - which wasn't in the vehicle, only the GPS bracket was in the car.

Actually Mike, that is incorrect...GPS technology has changed quit a bit in 10 years.

10 years ago a new type of GPS satellite was addded in to the existing constellation. 17 additional satellites of this sort have been steadily launched since then, with the most recent launch being in late 2006. The FCC requirement of adding GPS positioning to mobile cell phones for 911 calls is one reason that has fueled the rise of additional birds in the GPS constellation.

More info:

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Carol, how has this new type of satellite changed the Full Operation Capability described on that web site? In 1995, the system was supposed to be able to provide locations within these tolerances

The Standard Positioning Service (SPS) is a positioning and timing service which will be available to all GPS users on a continuous, worldwide basis with no direct charge. SPS will be provided on the GPS L1 frequency which contains a coarse acquisition (C/A) code and a navigation data message. SPS provides a predictable positioning accuracy of 100 meters (95 percent) horizontally and 156 meters (95 percent) vertically and time transfer accuracy to UTC within 340 nanoseconds (95 percent).
The Precise Positioning Service (PPS) is a highly accurate military positioning, velocity and timing service which will be available on a continuous, worldwide basis to users authorized by the U.S. P(Y) code capable military user equipment provides a predictable positioning accuracy of at least 22 meters (95 percent) horizontally and 27.7 meters vertically and time transfer accuracy to UTC within 200 nanoseconds (95 percent). PPS will be the data transmitted on the GPS L1 and L2 frequencies.

And although the specs only call for 100 meters accuracy (+/-) in 1995, I always found my location far more accurate than that. At what point are we talking about diminishing returns?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I worked for a spell modelling user interfaces for software that could be used to pinpoint personnel through their GPS devices...bad guys turn on their GPS, we know where they are, and call in destiny. "Gypsie" was GPSSCI...Global Positioning Systems Satellite Command Intercept.

I'm still too paranoid about big brother watching me to want to get on the grid with one of these things. I'll stick to maps and redlights.

D.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What I meant was the receivers have evolved with more conviences and abilities. In the beginning there were no moving maps or voice. Just basic navigation information with some way points. For instance my Garmin etrex has more capability than my father's garmin 90 (?) that he used when flying his airplane. The consumer equipment has definitely evolved even though the basic communication has not changed. Although they have more satellites aloft and this may increase accuracy. Although the military still reserves the right to induce error for security purposes of course.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked for a spell modelling user interfaces for software that could be used to pinpoint personnel through their GPS devices...bad guys turn on their GPS, we know where they are, and call in destiny. "Gypsie" was GPSSCI...Global Positioning Systems Satellite Command Intercept.

I'm still too paranoid about big brother watching me to want to get on the grid with one of these things. I'll stick to maps and redlights.

D.

That is always in the back of my mind! Call me a conspiracy theorist, if you like! ;)

Just like the GPS 911 locator in the cell phones.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol, how has this new type of satellite changed the Full Operation Capability described on that web site? In 1995, the system was supposed to be able to provide locations within these tolerances

The differences from what I can tell have to do with accuracy of clocking (which affects sensitivity) and how long the unit can operate with no communication link. (which affects availability including number of users) and triangulation (which affects how quickly the unit can achieve a lock on the signal). In addition, civilian units have been updated to more accurately predict where a person is should the GPS signal not be easily triangulated in a module that is both lightweight (both in size and battery life) and inexpensive.

And although the specs only call for 100 meters accuracy (+/-) in 1995, I always found my location far more accurate than that. At what point are we talking about diminishing returns?

That is a question for someone smarter than I am. :)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually Mike, that is incorrect...GPS technology has changed quit a bit in 10 years.

10 years ago a new type of GPS satellite was addded in to the existing constellation. 17 additional satellites of this sort have been steadily launched since then, with the most recent launch being in late 2006. The FCC requirement of adding GPS positioning to mobile cell phones for 911 calls is one reason that has fueled the rise of additional birds in the GPS constellation.

More info:

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/

Add to that the removal of the 'feature' called Selective Availability in 2000 or so, which purposefully degraded the signal for users outside of the US Military.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The reason we get better accuracy than mandated by "Selective Availability" is that some bright academics figured out how to undither the signal. They needed more accuracy for their work and came up with the technique.

Latest Discussions