Governing Bodies

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think any slight is intended. It's just that the Japanese karate styles (Shotokan, Wado, Shito, and Goju-Kai, not Okinawan Goju-ryu) had a major role in establishing the WKF and its predecessor bodies. Thus they are the recognized karate styles.

The Okinawan styles for the most part are not part of this calculus.

ok when I see just GOJU I think GOJU RYU. not GOJU KAI. I noticed the others were Japanese styles though

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
To the OP: Regarding organization membership, I think DancingAlone pretty much states the mindset of certain slice of karateka out there - myself included.

We also don't belong to any large organization, and it's almost looked at in a kinship way (who begat who).

the only association I belong to is the one for my style... and not for several..

OldKarateGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I may be going against the grain in this thread, but I think large sanctioning bodies can - they often do not, but they can - exert a positive influence on martial arts. Although school and instructor quality can certainly vary even in large associations, generally, I feel that enforced standards present in some organizations improve the overall quality. In a stand-alone school, I think bad habits and poor technique can continue more easily than if students and instructors have some regular contact - in the sense of "supervisory contact" - with other schools and other instructors.
Having said that, I also have had very poor experience with larger associations, when there is no oversight and no guidance (in terms of actual karate), but only cooperation in terms of large events, basically ways to raise money and attendance, things like that. So, I'd call sanctioning bodies a mixed result.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My KJN has a small-ish organization of schools (11 schools). I believe that this association of schools through my KJN maintains standards, as we have regular contact with him. I know other organizations that are far larger than ours that do this as well, and I think this is a definite positive influence of an organization.

Latest Discussions