GOP memo touts new terror attack as way to reverse party's decline

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/printer_7639.shtml

A confidential memo circulating among senior Republican leaders suggests that a new attack by terrorists on U.S. soil could reverse the sagging fortunes of President George W. Bush as well as the GOP and "restore his image as a leader of the American people."

The closely-guarded memo lays out a list of scenarios to bring the Republican party back from the political brink, including a devastating attack by terrorists that could “validate” the President’s war on terror and allow Bush to “unite the country” in a “time of national shock and sorrow.”

The memo says such a reversal in the President's fortunes could keep the party from losing control of Congress in the 2006 midterm elections.
GOP insiders who have seen the memo admit it’s a risky strategy and point out that such scenarios are “blue sky thinking” that often occurs in political planning sessions.

“The President’s popularity was at an all-time high following the 9/11 attacks,” admits one aide. “Americans band together at a time of crisis.”

So, what do you think of this? I know that I'd really like to actually see this memo...in order to see for myself.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the reasons I hate anonymous sources is because stories like this come out and no skeptic is going to believe them...because of the sources. Are there any laws against reporters reporting false information based on the words of these sources?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
One of the reasons I hate anonymous sources is because stories like this come out and no skeptic is going to believe them...because of the sources. Are there any laws against reporters reporting false information based on the words of these sources?

Would it fall under libel perhaps? depends on what is said. the press has alot of freedom though, and these things are rarely prosecuted. In some cases (probably not this), I'd think treason would be appropriate, though I doubt that would fly LOL

MrH

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The memo is so confidential that we are here discussing it on Martial Talk.

:shrug:

I dont doubt that scenarios are played out like this in our Government... I seem to recall certain past presidents throwing troops into "wars" to (allegedly) try and deflect negative publicty, so Id buy the fact the idea has been explored.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
The memo is so confidential that we are here discussing it on Martial Talk.

Its those sneaky guys over in the ninjutsu forum, you know, they like sneaking and stealing things :ninja:

hehe

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'm sure people think this way...but would they be dumb enough to put it in writing?

Now that is what I'm really wondering. Perhaps the dems should hire some of MT's ninjas to go and steal this little thingy.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The memo doesn't really seem to be saying much as cited in the link. Sounds like they were saying "If another terrorist attack happened, that'd be great for the president."

Doesn't sound like they were advocating staging one, or allowing one to occur. (Because if either event happened, Bush, the man who ran claiming that not electing him would 1000% insure that more 9-11's would be raining down from the sky every five seconds all across the nation, would just look like he broke his campaign threats.) Others rightly pointed out that he'd likely get slammed for allowing an attack to happen rather than it serving as a rallying point.

Even the capture/death of Osama wouldn't help Bush that much at this point. Waaaayyyy too many sound bites featuring Bush or one of his appointees like Porter Goss stating that Osama's not relevant. It'd just look like political opportunism.

But either way, it doens't matter. Since it is highly politically incorrect to even consider tying the concept of accountability to the presidnt, I can't see how anythign could brake his plummeting approval ratings. Even the right wingers who assert this brand of political correctness are just admitting that they have zero confidence in the president's ability to make decisions, lead etc. (If they did have confidence, they it wouldn't be oh so very un-PC to link the president with the actions of HIS administration.)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/printer_7639.shtml

So, what do you think of this? I know that I'd really like to actually see this memo...in order to see for myself.

Sounds like more satire from the "Onion" that some moron quoted as truth.

First of all, the parties not in decline (except in the hopeful dreams of the left). It seems the left has been declaring victory for the last 6 years or more.....only to have the rug pulled out at the last minute nearly everytime.

"I'm willing to vouch for the autheticity of this memo!"
Dan Rather

"Nobody has shown this memo to be a fake yet!"
Mary Mapes

I'm certain this memo is authentic, it was faxed from a Kinkos in Abilene, Texas.

Only on the internet (and perhaps CBS) do we give some known moonbat the benefit of the doubt when he claims he's seen a "Secret memo" that just happens to be scathing truth of everything he claims the people he doesn't like are. Seems pretty tidy doesn't it.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
First of all, the parties not in decline (except in the hopeful dreams of the left).

*blinks* :confused:

Ummm...... ok, if you say so.

I guess you must be watching different news outlets than the rest of us. From where I'm standing, the Republican leadership is pretty much eroding from the inside out.

Despite this, I'm still gunning for Senator McCain's 2008 presidential election.

Laterz.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
*blinks* :confused:

Ummm...... ok, if you say so.

I guess you must be watching different news outlets than the rest of us. From where I'm standing, the Republican leadership is pretty much eroding from the inside out.

Despite this, I'm still gunning for Senator McCain's 2008 presidential election.

Laterz.
You'll remember, however, that you've been declaring victory since 2000.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say someone in the White House rented "Canadian Bacon" :D

ANyways, kidding asside, another major attack could boast Pres. Bush's ratings and justify his actions. He would simply claim that this could have been prevented if he had been getting the resources he needed instead of being held back by Democrats and tree huggers.

He would then ask for more resources to expand his war on terror and go back to hero of the people status.

Now I would like to think that I haven't watched enough X-Files to think that a secret group will "make it happen" or that that was even a consideration, but it is a plausible scenario that if it where to happen his ratings would go back up.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I'd say someone in the White House rented "Canadian Bacon" :D

ANyways, kidding asside, another major attack could boast Pres. Bush's ratings and justify his actions. He would simply claim that this could have been prevented if he had been getting the resources he needed instead of being held back by Democrats and tree huggers.

He would then ask for more resources to expand his war on terror and go back to hero of the people status.

Now I would like to think that I haven't watched enough X-Files to think that a secret group will "make it happen" or that that was even a consideration, but it is a plausible scenario that if it where to happen his ratings would go back up.
If we're talking about "plausible scenario's" then we might as well talk about the equally plausible theory that extra-national entities with large sums of money might be engaging in an ongoing attack against their political entities (i.e. the president) by falsifying evidence, manipulating political events and influencing members of the media. There certainly seems to be some evidence that would support this (if I were conspiracy minded). There do seem to be well monied individuals who have an interest in manipulating US policies and political processes. Some of them (George Soros comes to mind) spent MILLIONS overtly (and likely much more covertly) to influence elections.

The current political and media "blitzkrieg" against the administration seems very well coordinated and the timing seems more than just sheer coincidence.

Some might claim "even George Soros" couldn't fund something on that level. Who says George Soros is anyone but a figurehead. There are larger international interests that have an agenda to see George Bush fail and America decline on the world stage.

Again, two can play the "Conspiracy" game. All that's required is to allow your mind to run wild until you invision a vast conspiracy. Once you've concocted the conspiracy, it's then just a matter of only acknowledging evidence that supports your theory, and calling anyone who disagrees "a sychophant".
icon12.gif

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
You'll remember, however, that you've been declaring victory since 2000.

I have, have I??

Funny. I'm pretty sure I wasn't even posting on this forum at that time, and I know you certainly weren't around to see if I was or not.

Methinks you should perhaps clarify here.

Laterz.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
I have, have I??

Funny. I'm pretty sure I wasn't even posting on this forum at that time, and I know you certainly weren't around to see if I was or not.

Methinks you should perhaps clarify here.

Laterz.
Focus on the most irrelavent part of the conversation, isn't that how it's done? Whether you personally have been forecasting the decline and fall of the Republican party is irrelavent, the entire left has been declaring the party dead long before 2000, and declare victory every time they are able to make some political hay with something that appears in the media.

Again, I have no desire to debate whether "you" personally made any such statements in this forum. If you say you haven't, fine.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazing how black and white the party lines must be down there.

If its a left thing, everyone on the left must say it and agree to it. No questions asked. If it's a right thing, all the right sided people do it.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
All that proves is you watch X-Files too :p
I never claimed to buy it...I merely pointed out how easy it is to create a vast conspiracy, then support it with 'facts'.....Though, yes, i've watched also too much X-Files.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I'd say someone in the White House rented "Canadian Bacon"

Or "The Mouse That Roared" (in reverse).

Has this been verified as a true White House memo yet?

Latest Discussions