good bye to wing chun....

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can train as hard or soft as you like and I can see good results from it. Never done a full class of fitness yet, I see these exercises as an obvious suggestion to including in your personal development @ home :)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, BTW, martial arts teach you how to defend yourself. Martial sports are for getting in shape.

What I stated was not derogitory, nor was I being defensive. If the guy wants to quit WC, it's okay, let him quit. But with only 2 months, that's not enough time to pass any kind of judgement, be it WC, BJJ, Muay Thai, or tiddly winks.

And the comment concerning martial art and martial sport, what is the big deal? What's wrong with calling something a martial sport? It still has martial in it, meaning from or for combat. I use the term martial sport so people will understand they can also get in shape doing it. Wing Chun, Kali, Silat, etc, I consider arts and are taught that way. You shouldn't expect to get in shape doing them. Muay Thai, BJJ, Kenpo or Kickboxing systems, to me, are considered martial sport, and go a long way in helping you get in shape. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Some of you guys just need to chill a bit and don't get so defensive yourself.

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
@ OP :
If your dedication lasts for about two months,you will quit with Muay Thai much sooner.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to know what you are looking for to get what you want out of any martial ars school. If you want to increase your physical skills with hard work outs, the Wing Chun probably isn't for you. Hey, not biggie. We all train for different reasons.

Good Wing Chun teaches a person skills to end a fight very quickly, thus avoiding the abiity of physical skills to influence the fight. If you aren't taking care of your opponents very quickly, to where stamina becomes an issue, then you are doing something outside of proper Wing Chun concepts. That doesn't mean that physical skills aren't important or that a Wing Chunner doesn't work on increasing attribues. Most guys I know do work on physial skills. However there is a ton of diference between training for a sport where strength and stamnia are needed, and slf-defense type training where the focus lies elsewhere.

To the OP, I hope you find what you are looking for!

OP
D

devasta

White Belt
Reaction score
I am going with most of the replies concerning the school's teaching method. I've been skeptical during the 2months duration mainly because the emphasis is on forms, working the horse ....shifting.... yawn..boring.

I asked questions and yes it is the core foundation which requires alot of patience and committment. Honestly I would say Wing Chun may be for me if I have more time for it but when the school requres students to go 3-5xs a week to actually learn the art will not work with my current situation.

Even a student who's been training for almost 2yrs at the school tells me that he still feels skeptical whether what he'd learned can be applied to any real street fight and I was like wtf? So sum it up yes I think it's the school.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going with most of the replies concerning the school's teaching method. I've been skeptical during the 2months duration mainly because the emphasis is on forms, working the horse ....shifting.... yawn..boring.

I asked questions and yes it is the core foundation which requires alot of patience and committment. Honestly I would say Wing Chun may be for me if I have more time for it but when the school requres students to go 3-5xs a week to actually learn the art will not work with my current situation.

Even a student who's been training for almost 2yrs at the school tells me that he still feels skeptical whether what he'd learned can be applied to any real street fight and I was like wtf? So sum it up yes I think it's the school.

Those are necessary evils .
As for whether or not WC is street effective, it sounds like you may have run across a lemon WC school, sad to say that there are more than a few of those out there.
I don't know your area, but check out Wing Tsun or Wing Tzun. They are very much into focusing on street effectiveness, the Wing Tzun is very big on conditioning too.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Is there a website or any video clips so that we can have a better idea of the type of training that is conducted there?

After two years that student should have achieved a decent level of speed ,force , and reflex.

He should also be reasonably confident of defending himself in most situations .
That is , if he has been trained properly , and by the sounds of it , that hasn't happened.

OP
D

devasta

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there a website or any video clips so that we can have a better idea of the type of training that is conducted there?

After two years that student should have achieved a decent level of speed ,force , and reflex.

He should also be reasonably confident of defending himself in most situations .
That is , if he has been trained properly , and by the sounds of it , that hasn't happened.

http://wingchunnyc.com/

altbus1

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm happy that my sifu sticks to the program it's an addiction that I'll hopefully never will lose.
I also train for strength at home and do some additional running 2 times a week. But for me my Wing Chun training is for learning the art not for conditioning the body.

Greetz

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I believe that is Allen Lee Sifu's Wing Chun. He is a very reputable WC sifu in the U.S. He trained with Lok Yiu Sifu and then was a private student to Yip Man. When he came to the states, he also trained with Duncan Leung, another private student of Yip Man's with very, VERY good WC. Lee Sifu has many years WC experience. But, he's an old timer, training the old ways of Wing Chun, like standing in YJKYM for hours doing forms. Or just doing the SNT for 6 months before letting you do anything else. I have never met him, but his WC is supposed to be pretty good.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I shouldn't think there would be a problem if it's coming from the Lok Yiu lineage , that's a pretty fine pedigree.

But I have to concur with Zepedawingchun , it sounds as if it is being taught in what I would call the traditional Hong Kong method .

Which involves a lot of work on the stance , pivoting and SLT practice.
Nothing wrong with that , but it is probably not a good fit for young westerners in this age of instant gratification.

The other method I would say is a more technique based type of training geared towards common self defence scenarios , this is the type of training my late Sifu taught when he came to Australia because he knew that westerners would find the traditional training hard.

Later on when the student became more experienced they would be exposed more and more to the traditional Hong Kong type method.

Both teaching methods work , and a lot further down the track they both converge to produce a competant practitioner.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not speaking strictly about Wing Chun here, but I'll say that in my opinion the traditional method is better, tho as MJM points out it may be difficult for young Westerners to wrap their heads around it and accept that kind of training.

If you hope to fix and solidify the foundation later down the road, you'll have lots and lots of problems that you will need to un-learn. It's very frustrating and you may feel like you wasted a lot of years with the wrong priority in training.

The kenpo training I had was very technique-focused, self-defense scenarios type stuff. Later when I began training Traditional Tibetan White Crane, I discovered how important that foundation is, and how nothing really works very well without it. That was lacking in my kenpo and I regret in some ways the time spent on that path. But it certainly gave me a certain perspective to recognize the difference when I finally got the traditional training that I needed.

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not many patient people out there these days,that's for sure. My school is Wing Tzun based (Emin Boztepe),it's more of a modern kind of training (like some of the people said above),yet i'm also into Traditional things at times. (I'm into Wing Chun as a whole so my opinion here should not count)..
If you really want to do it hard core at start,go find yourself a Wing Tsun/Wing Tzun/EBMAS school.
On the other hand,you don't know what you're missing in Master Lee's school,you only need patience and skill/powa' will come.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll just say this. There are a lot of people who say two things closely associated. First, that people aren't patient and then something about martial sports to include BJJ or Muay Thai. I just want to make sure that you guys understand BJJ practitioners are among the most patient martial artists around. It takes months to even get your head above water, and up to ten or more years to become an expert.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'll just say this. There are a lot of people who say two things closely associated. First, that people aren't patient and then something about martial sports to include BJJ or Muay Thai. I just want to make sure that you guys understand BJJ practitioners are among the most patient martial artists around. It takes months to even get your head above water, and up to ten or more years to become an expert.

Oh come on... we all know BJJ guys are just trying to be as awsome and attractive as us old school JJJ guys :D

Seriously though I personally have a lot of respect for BJJ if for no other reason they are one of the few out there that does not give belts away. You do the work, you train hard and you get the belt that I respect. As for Muay Thai; if I were younger and less beat up I'd likely give it a try myself

But with that said I am likely TCMA to the core and I have a lot of respect for a good wing chun school too. Those guys play hard and it can hurt to train it and learning it does not come easy either

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

A few things.

First, I agree with stevebjj... it takes a lot of work to be even proficient at BJJ.

Second, I have found that heavy work on basics has to be done either in the beginning or at the advanced levels... yet it has to be done. That is a ceiling height that only sophistication of basic movements can bring. So jump this, and that is why for a while, only black belts in other styles came to my classes; my training is mostly basics and sophistication of basics skills. I correct the execution of basics more than anything else.

The pros of this training is that you get a super powerful foundation, yet I warn my students that they will see the fruit of their labor after about 30 to 40 accumulated training hours. Consistently, after that amount of time, something starts clicking, and they start getting it.

Hope that helps.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just as an example of the kind of patience and mental fortitude that was required when they learned in the old days .

Tsui Seung Ting once remarked that for the first year under Yip Man all they did was Sil Lum Tao , and lessons didn't start to get interesting until after the first year.

TST also used to practice just pivoting for anything up to five hours , just let that sink in for a moment , could you imagine doing five hours of just pivoting.
I'd be hard pressed to veg out on the couch for five hours let alone do five hours of pivoting.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As the old quote goes. "there is no accounting for taste".

If a martial art doesn't meet what you are looking for, it won't matter if it is two months or two years. The type of training he is looking for at this point in his life doesn't lie with his current school.

I don't see any problem acknowledging that and wanting to find something that will fit the bill. That is why there are so many martial arts schools around, people have different focuses, different mental focuses and different physical capabilities.

The first martial art I tried was aikido. Didn't like it at all. The instructor was VERY knowledgable and could use it in a fight, but it just didn't fit with my personality and what I was looking for. I have friends that train with that school now and they absolutely love it, because it was what they were looking for.

Think about it. If you taught a traditional okinawan art and someone came to you looking for Olympic style TKD don't you think they could make up their mind fairly quickly that it wasn't what they were looking for?

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
As the old quote goes. "there is no accounting for taste".

If a martial art doesn't meet what you are looking for, it won't matter if it is two months or two years. The type of training he is looking for at this point in his life doesn't lie with his current school.

Think about it. If you taught a traditional okinawan art and someone came to you looking for Olympic style TKD don't you think they could make up their mind fairly quickly that it wasn't what they were looking for?

Get out of here with that common sense, this is the internet for god's sake! :)

OP
D

devasta

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe that is Allen Lee Sifu's Wing Chun. He is a very reputable WC sifu in the U.S. He trained with Lok Yiu Sifu and then was a private student to Yip Man. When he came to the states, he also trained with Duncan Leung, another private student of Yip Man's with very, VERY good WC. Lee Sifu has many years WC experience. But, he's an old timer, training the old ways of Wing Chun, like standing in YJKYM for hours doing forms. Or just doing the SNT for 6 months before letting you do anything else. I have never met him, but his WC is supposed to be pretty good.

I have no doubts in regards to Sifu Lee's skills and credentials. However, the school's teaching method is somewhat disapointing since all students are not directly learing WC from Sifu himself but from other senior students. Sifu Lee does teach privately but with additional set rate so it's out of the question for me since I don't think it's worth paying so much for tuition to learn something that I am just ok with.

Latest Discussions