Girl wins state title in boys wrestling

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gotta love Spub Web. Won the slam dunk contest one year too LOL. From Wiki, looks like he was slamming before he was 5'!

I will say this though, check out the musculature on those guys legs. Considering that only a handful of women are dunking these days, its unlikely that they will be quite as competative... I wonder how they scale up with regards to quickness?

We had a guy in my school when I grew up, he came from a huge family. He was 6'10 in 8th grade and could not even dunk! The guy could practically reach the rim just from his tip toes, but had no muscle. kinda scary... however, if he ever filled out, watch out!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've read a couple of interetsing stories on this recently, including one I mentioned here from The Chronicle of Higher Education about collegiate women's wrestling. It's growing! Good, I say. My daughter had a great time in BJJ this morning, she says!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm going to speak honestly about women and girls in competition.

There are times for women/girl only competition. This is a matter of pure size and strengh in a very violent sport or competition. I would not ask any woman to fight toe-to-toe with the best UFC fighters (and I sure don't want to try either!)

But there are times I feel there must not be any categories as for sex. Wrestling can be dangerious, but not like many other sports. I feel if they want to get physical, and won't screem of touched in, well, places that normaly you arn't touched excpet in such places as wrestling, then I'm all for it. Even martial arts sparring, where it's not hard full contact, I can see them competing in the same weight division.

Yes some guys will feel their ego hurt if whipped by a woman, but I remember back in college there was a Kim Davis, 2nd dan, in John Chu's East Texas Association. She could whip many a man's ***! Heck, she could whip mine in the first 20 seconds of the match! She was in the Marine Corps Reserve and a electrician by trade. When she ran the class, man she popped the whip and made us go till we were about to drop. And she demoed everything exceptionaly well.

So, yes, there are women and girls who can walk the walk. And I'm all for them.

But, in brutaly rough sports, I say no. And that goes for alot of men and boys to.

Deaf

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
But, in brutaly rough sports, I say no. And that goes for alot of men and boys to.

Your caveat about men illustrates the problem with your stance. Some men can't handle being in rough sports. So do we ban all men from competing? No, we allow those who demonstrate the desire and ability to do so. Overall, less women may be able to compete with men in these sports, but some will. So, just like the men, those who demonstrate the desire and ability should be allowed to do so. Instituting a general ban based on statistics will do a great disservice to those women who can compete. Open it up, and let anyone step up who can. Anything else is paternalistic and condescending.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Your caveat about men illustrates the problem with your stance. Some men can't handle being in rough sports. So do we ban all men from competing? No, we allow those who demonstrate the desire and ability to do so. Overall, less women may be able to compete with men in these sports, but some will. So, just like the men, those who demonstrate the desire and ability should be allowed to do so. Instituting a general ban based on statistics will do a great disservice to those women who can compete. Open it up, and let anyone step up who can. Anything else is paternalistic and condescending.

Empty Hands,

UFC ain't wrestling. Yes a few might be foolish to try to fight men in those rings, same weight class, but so far I've never heard of one try. It's not paternalistic either. This is not some big daddy thing.

Nor condescending. It's just facts.

There are tons of activites that women compete on a totaly equal level as men. Even at the Indy, as Danica Patrick shows. Even such contact sports as AKA karate tournaments. But the physical facts just don't go with such contact 'sports' as UFC. All you would end up with is some very injured or dead women just to show they could step in the ring (or by peer pressure forced to try stepping in the ring.) And that would do no one any good.

Deaf

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes a few might be foolish to try to fight men in those rings, same weight class, but so far I've never heard of one try. It's not paternalistic either. This is not some big daddy thing.

Of course it is. There will always be those more than a few standard deviations away from the mean that can cut it. Judge based on ability, not sex. All of your arguments apply just as well to men that can't cut it, yet we don't prevent men from competing with each other.

In any case, you may not have heard about it, but it is happening.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course it is. There will always be those more than a few standard deviations away from the mean that can cut it. Judge based on ability, not sex. All of your arguments apply just as well to men that can't cut it, yet we don't prevent men from competing with each other.

I've known a few women that were pretty strong, women I'd not want to tangle with! One girl I dated actually beat up and knocked out a guy that was picking on her boyfriend! (this was in high school!)

Latest Discussions