Boy barred from playing on girl's field hockey team

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rude this morning aren't we?

if you want sports that are run by men and don't allow women to participate or even watch in many cases just look at Saudi Arabia, Yemen etc etc.

Extremely tired, actually. My apologies.

And I was using too broad a brush on saying "In The World", Ill accept that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extremely tired, actually. My apologies.

And I was using too broad a brush on saying "In The World", Ill accept that.

No worrie,s no ones perfect not even me lol!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gran has already given you a sport that is done by both genders on an equal footing, the equestion sports. Men and women compete against each other without either gender having either advantages or disadvantages.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17877469

Currently The 3 day event in Kentucky, AKA 'The Rolex' is on TV right now. Lot's of gals competing head to head with the gents.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently The 3 day event in Kentucky, AKA 'The Rolex' is on TV right now. Lot's of gals competing head to head with the gents.

Would love to be there! I go to Badminton and Burleigh when I can plus some one day events locally.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would love to be there! I go to Badminton and Burleigh when I can plus some one day events locally.

I am hyperventilating looking at it...sooo much fresh air!
(but golly, those jumps are HUGE!!)

And strangely enough, I have only seen a handful of guys riding so far.... :lol:
It will give people the impression that this tough sport, originating in the Military is for women only! ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the other hand, there is no boy's team. So the kid is out of luck in his quest for excellence.

Important life lesson to be learned: Don't do your best or you are sidelined....

Not to mention the US has some weird notions as to what is a girl or boy sport.....

He is out of luck with his quest for excellence even if he's on the team. Excelling against opponents who aren't an appropriate match for the sport is no more a victory than an (say) an NFL team defeating a collegiate team.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He is out of luck with his quest for excellence even if he's on the team. Excelling against opponents who aren't an appropriate match for the sport is no more a victory than an (say) an NFL team defeating a collegiate team.

Well, I have seen enough little teams putting up a fight and defeat the big dogs.
There is a German cup gig in Soccer. Not sure how they pick the teams, but from lowly amateur clubs to first leagers everything plays. The amateurs have home field advantage, sure, but there have been a lot of cases when the pros got hosed. Same with the class A football teams playing against glorified highschool teams...

But we teach our kids that when the other team has a ringer, we don't have to step up and better our game, we look for a legal loophole to eliminate the better player.

Like the kid in the peewee football league, the boy on the (field) hockey team...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hyperventilating looking at it...sooo much fresh air!
(but golly, those jumps are HUGE!!)

And strangely enough, I have only seen a handful of guys riding so far.... :lol:
It will give people the impression that this tough sport, originating in the Military is for women only! ;)

Here every kid with a pony does eventing! We have one day events every weekend and the big three day ones every so often, it's a very popular sport here and in Europe for both sexes. We also have hunter trials and loads of show jumping comps as well as dressage. Equestion sports are very big here and worth a lot of money.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here every kid with a pony does eventing! We have one day events every weekend and the big three day ones every so often, it's a very popular sport here and in Europe for both sexes. We also have hunter trials and loads of show jumping comps as well as dressage. Equestion sports are very big here and worth a lot of money.

I know, you Brit people especially!, and the Irish! CRAZY I tell ya! ;)

But hey, I grew up in a family where you had to be horse to be treated well! ;)
To this day non-horse activities are hum-ha....too bad I don't have the money for a horse. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like he can play
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/stor...-hockey-team-athletics-committee-rules-051512
The biggest goal of Keeling Pilaro's field hockey career happened far from an athletic field on Tuesday. An athletics committee determined the 13-year-old boy can keep playing on the girls varsity team at Southampton High School, at least for one more season. The decision at an appeals hearing Tuesday reverses earlier rulings that claimed Keeling's skills as a field hockey player, which he developed growing up in Dublin, Ireland, had developed to a level superior to those of girls.
"I was jumping up and down; I was so excited when I heard," the youngster said in a telephone interview about an hour after the decision was announced by an attorney for the athletics committee. "I can play!"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like he can play
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/stor...-hockey-team-athletics-committee-rules-051512
The biggest goal of Keeling Pilaro's field hockey career happened far from an athletic field on Tuesday. An athletics committee determined the 13-year-old boy can keep playing on the girls varsity team at Southampton High School, at least for one more season. The decision at an appeals hearing Tuesday reverses earlier rulings that claimed Keeling's skills as a field hockey player, which he developed growing up in Dublin, Ireland, had developed to a level superior to those of girls.
"I was jumping up and down; I was so excited when I heard," the youngster said in a telephone interview about an hour after the decision was announced by an attorney for the athletics committee. "I can play!"

Considering that a baseball team out someplace just won the championship by forefit - the opponent chose not to play them, because that had a girl on the 11 kid roster (last time I looked you had to have 9 on the field, that leaves only 2 to replace somebody...

The girl on boy teams rule is if they don't have the sport for girls they can play.
It really should be that way for boys, too.
It's not like one kid can win the game for you alone.

Latest Discussions