Gay Activists to Protest

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whether you regard homosexuality as a preference or not (and I don't; it is my opinion that, while some events and/or potential consequences can cause you to act against your inclination) that does not change the fact that what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes and lives is no ones' business but their own, and those whose inborn preferences are different from others are welcome to protest those who disagree with them - from either side.

As has been mentioned, homosexuality appears to have a genetic component as well as an environmental component. Homosexual behavior has been seen in a wide variety of species, including our own. The sanctions against homosexuality in various cultures have been so extreme that I have trouble believing that one would "choose" to be homosexual in light of the possible outcomes, up to and including being stoned or burned to death. Why would one even experiment with such a "preference" in light of the possible consequences? That homosexuality continues to occur at the same percentage over the centuries and throughout cultures indicates, to me at least, that there is very little of "preference" about it; else, homosexuality would have died out some time since.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, what you're shouting is that gay people shouldn't choose to hold hands, have photographs, go out in public together at all, have people over to their house, etc., etc., etc.? That they shouldn't choose to exercise the same basic interactions than the rest of us, because...why,exactly? Becuse their "deviant" behavior is contagious? Offensive?

I mean, sure, I choose to do those things, and I don't see why a gay person shouldn't choose to do those things-or has to choose to do those things-so I'm quite confused at this point, Don.

Are you saying gay people are okay as long as they stay in the closet "where they belong?"

I honestly don't understand what you mean-you're gonna have to be clear.
Not speaking for Don, but a common fear of the christian right is that their children will be led into unfavorable situations and subsequent choices.
Sean

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is your gaydar so strong that you can spot them behind walls?
A black person is obviously black, to all those who see him, in this, he has no choice. To claim a gay person is the same is foolish, no one can read minds, ergo, unless the gay person CHOOSES to let everyone around him KNOW he is gay, no one knows. That is a significant difference.
So Don ... when did you choose to be straight? It's a choice, right? Or is anything except what you do naturally the "choice" of someone else? What about the portion of the animal kingdom that exhibits exclusively homosexual behaviors? Do they make a choice? Because *I* thought choice was part and parcel of free will - that which The Lord Your God gave only to Man?

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean your emotional feelings towards something that clearly threatens you and frightens you can decide whether something is a choice in another person or not.

are you compelled to? or do you have a CHOICE?But, you do these things BECAUSE YOU CHOOSE TO
Yeah, you have to pity gay people, they have no control over their behavior... Oh, that wasn't what you meant? How odd, that is the implication you made.
You chose to be hetero too, didn't you? You're trying to align the exhibition of affection with innate sexual choice. My god, man, that's like saying you wear white tube socks with your sandals because you're caucasian ... it has no relevance or bearing. Couples who love and dare to exhibit modest affection with the love of their lives come in all sizes, shapes, colors and orientations.

Not so fast

it also gets you:

protected class status, making it much harder to fire you
That could only be said by a hetero who's never lost his job because he's hetero. People play games, people get fired.

your credit isnt good enough to get that car or apartment? just scream "gay bashing" and you get your way
Wow. You have a lot of hostility towards homosexuals. Why is that? :rolleyes:

last time I checked, gay was now in, thanks to will and grace, queer eye, sex and the city, etc, hollywood practicly preaches how cool gay is....
Yeah. They used to preach how cool interracial marriages were ... and civil rights were ... and being overweight is ... and ... oh wait ... there's no value in any of those things either.

The entertainment industry is a study in human behavior; some of it positive, some of it negative, some of it neutral ... and the rest are a smattering of other things. I think you're just jealous that Will is richer than you are. ;)

sure, the bad things you mentioned do happen, but less and less these days.
Just like hangings and glass ceilings and nazi parades in Skokie ... still done but much less these days. Martha sez it's a good thing.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shesulsa,
dont try to read my mind, you sort of suck at it.

I have no hostility towards gays. I speak up in favor of gay marraige whenever it is brought up. I had no problems with the gay dude that was on my ship.

What I am hostile towards is falsehoods.

it is a truism that human nature is human nature. And human nature is to play any advantage we can to get those things we require. Some Women use thier periods and or kids to get out of work and get time off. Some men call in sick to go hunting, some non-whites scream racism to get thier way.

it would be foolish to think that members of other protected classes (real or percieved) didnt do the same thing.

We are all human beings and as such we are all subject to human nature. Some people dont stoop to that, but some people do

Besides, i am SOOO much prettier than Will.............Well, i am prettier than Jack..............well, ok, I have a bigger rack than Grace...........wait....

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not speaking for Don, but a common fear of the christian right is that their children will be led into unfavorable situations and subsequent choices.
Sean

Why does it have to be Christian right?

Black Americans, who if understood as a group, are far from being on the right of the political spectrum. But, if they are Christian, they would be just as much against gay marriage as any Republican, or as some like to term them, right-wringers.

Love the little rhetorical shots though. They show where someone is really coming from.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made the choice to be straight the same time I chose my natural hair color, my eye color and my skin color. Oh wait, I didn't have any choice in those matters.

I did however choose what car to by, what color my hair is now, what beard style I'll have, and the color of my tie.

I didn't choose what foods I enjoy, the rate of degeneration effecting my eyes, and my lactose intolerance.

I did however choose which ice cream I ate yesterday, what over priced sandwich I had today, and which of my partners butt cheeks-if any-that I smacked tonight.

The fact that those butt cheeks were attached to a girl and not a guy was not my choice.

In fact, I suppose I could go both ways...except....
beards don't thrill me
I'm not really an *** man
I'm not into "danglys"
I like a womans shape more than a mans shape
I'm not into hairy chests
I'm not into having anything rammed into my ***, and the thought of it happening does not excite me.

At no point do I recall sitting down and thinking "Well, Steve has faboo abs, but Sheila's got those amazing tatas. Oh which one do I wanna rub my face into? It's soooo hard to decide."

Steve's abs may just be faboo, but Mr. Happy could care less.
Shelia however has a much different effect on him.
She however doesn't care.
She's too busy jilling off to the SI swimsuit issue to notice me.

(fictional examples)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-exile
-MT Senior Moderator-

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bunk. Sexual Orientation has yet to be added to the Civil Rights Act; thus, if sexual orientation is a protected class, it is based on state decision, not federal. Besides, if you're fired for a legitimate reason (work sucks, you're always late, etc.), being gay won't help in the least.

Show me any significant evidence that this occurs with any regularity.

Many argue that such glamorization of homosexuals is actually damaging. As we speak, my sister is watching "Queer as Folk", and I gotta say, its presentation of gays is unbelievably skewed. I wouldn't be so quick to use those shows as examples of gay people not having it so bad.

Was she watching the original British "Queer as Folk" or the American version? I believe there's a bit difference between them. The sense of humour for one thing lol! the British one is set in a Northern town so it's likely you'd need subtitles as Micheal Bisping did in TUF.
Yes deliberate thread drift there.

I don't believe being gay is something one chooses on a whim, I believe you don't have a choice but if you did, does it really matter? Can't you just respect someone for who they are anyway?

Twin Fist,
"Do not reproach your fellow for a blemish that is in you" Rashi.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shesulsa,
dont try to read my mind, you sort of suck at it.
Why, thank you, Doctor. :spock:

I have no hostility towards gays. I speak up in favor of gay marraige whenever it is brought up. I had no problems with the gay dude that was on my ship.

What I am hostile towards is falsehoods.

it is a truism that human nature is human nature. And human nature is to play any advantage we can to get those things we require. Some Women use thier periods and or kids to get out of work and get time off. Some men call in sick to go hunting, some non-whites scream racism to get thier way.

it would be foolish to think that members of other protected classes (real or percieved) didnt do the same thing.

We are all human beings and as such we are all subject to human nature. Some people dont stoop to that, but some people do
I really think the low-lifes who pull that crap are in the minority rather than the majority. I feel rather confident in saying that there are far too many people whom have been injured financially and carreer-wise from their orientation than have profited from it.

Besides, i am SOOO much prettier than Will.............
Please, NObody's prettier than Will.

Well, i am prettier than Jack..............
Pretty is as pretty does.

well, ok, I have a bigger rack than Grace...........wait....
Heh ... who doesn't? ;)

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Big Don Scribbled with his little crayon:
What a load of crap. Black people have NO CHOICE in whether people notice they are black. Gay people do. That, alone is a HUGE difference...

I agree Don. What a load of crap your comment here is. Ignorance and Stupidity in one small phobic package. How convenient of you.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well let's see what being gay in this country gets you:

*Religious condemnation

*Public scorn

*Targeted for hate crimes

*Social ostracism still persists in many places.

Given this environment, common sense alone would beg the question:

If being gay was just a "choice" one could "make" why the hell would anyone CHOOSE it?

All of the reasons that Andy lists above, I could see causing someone who is gay to want so very badly not to be. Years of bashing and being told how wrong it is to have those feelings, fear of public ridicule, fear of losing ones family support could lead a gay person to turn to god for answers, spiritual healing and guidance. Does it "cure" them, no, probably not its who they are. Does it allow them to hopefully sleep better and without fear, could be. Faith is an amazing thing. So for those gays that feel they have been "cured" I say congratulations. For those gays that feel they should be able to live in an open society, I say, yes you should.

The choice is always in the way you want to live your life and how far you are willing to go and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
"Can't you just respect someone for who they are anyway?"

Some "people" can't repect anyone unless they are clones of themselves.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some "people" can't repect anyone unless they are clones of themselves.

That's a rather ironic statement from someone who jumped in here (and every other thread in The Study) to call people ignorant and stupid for having beliefs that are different from yours.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on people this thread is about Gay activists and protesting not who is the bigger butthead and who can be the biggest butthead of all by calling someone else a butthead.

We have two schools of thought here. People who believe one can be changed through prayer and those that feel they don't need to be.

Which is right? Which is wrong? and why?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree Don. What a load of crap your comment here is. Ignorance and Stupidity in one small phobic package. How convenient of you.

Ease up dude, before the Hammer of Mod comes thundering down and blasts this thread into oblivion.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.
This will serve as the final notice, so please keep the converstation at a respectful level.

Terry Stoker
Senior Moderator

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have two schools of thought here. People who believe one can be changed through prayer and those that feel they don't need to be.
Yeah, prayer worked so well for those pedophile priests. :uhoh:
And no, I'm not equating homosexuality with pedophilia.