Gathering Clouds-Right Punch

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. An attacker at 12 o'clock in a left fighting stance throws a right reverse punch.

2. Step your left foot to 10:30 into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a left inward parry to the outside of your attacker's right arm and a right inward vertical middle knuckle rake to your attacker's right ribs.

3. Immediately execute a right outward handsword to your attacker's lower right ribs.

4. Step your right foot to 1:30 into a right neutral bow to buckle your attacker's right knee with your right knee as you execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's right ribs. (Your left hand is now bracing against your attacker's right elbow.)

5. Execute a right front scoop kick to your attacker's groin as you execute a right two-finger eye hook to your attacker's left eye.

6. Plant your right scoop kick back to 7:30 into a left neutral bow facing 1:30.

7. Cross out.

Posting this for discussion. Is this how you do the technique? Do you do anything different? If so, what changes/differences do you do?

For myself, I do the technique just the way its done above, with the exception of the right 2 finger hook to the eyes.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Outward handsword prior to the collapsing inward elbow. I also pick specific targets on the ribs and bladder meridian, and emphasize an 8th-beat offset rhythm in the elbow as a sandwich...left inward palm-heel to bladder meridian, lands a split second prior to the inward elbow.

Footwork...I do the left foot step to 10:30 with the parry & simultaneous knuckle rake, but follow it immediately with a push-drag wide kneel timed as a knee strike with my right knee inside theirs. Then, the travelling (right) leg settles into their space as the outward handsword/collapsing elbow with left inward palm heel drum roll initiates.

I also do the fish-hook to the eyes, and couple with a scoop that glides up the inside of their thigh to the groin, and exits the strike with a frictional pull to the thigh of the destabilized right leg (clanged into with the traveling right knee from the kneel).

For the hand paths of travel, I also use more of a subtle figure-8, rather than linear return/reverse paths. Makes for a better flow in the movement, and facilitates greater "whhhooppppp!" in the power rip.

If I can find a dummy for a youtube post...

Dave

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Very similar. The middle knuckle rake we save for form version (form 4), instead we rake with our four knuckles (fist formed like a Chinese fist) across the ulna. I would also be in a cat stance while doing the chop. And # 5 and 6 we do not do at all right now.

Latest Discussions