Gripping Talon - Blue 20 EPAK

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I missed the inserted "Grafting Flow" in the first post, and I re-read the entire thread (obviously not closely enough)

You know, you just don't know what you don't know ... ya know?

-Michael

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well hmmmm? after reading all the responses to this post about Ideal and what if and equation formula and etc.... did anyone think that maybe the technique purpose is far more simple then all of that? Maybe it is just a simple demonstration of compound levers and "sequencial locking". A simple lesson yet very complex. Maybe maybe not, who knows. Fun reading though....
:asian:

Sometimes the obvious reaction is going to be expected by an attacker, therefore multiple techniques and variations should be learned and built upon so as to not do the same manouver twice. This way when your opponent thinks that they have the element of suprise, you are the one who really has suprise on your side.

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
I cannot find an earlier post about "Grafting Flow" per se.

<<Scratching my head>>
:confused:
-Michael

Mr. Billings, the grafting flow reference was from (I believe) the original post. I was a little slow on the take on this one but sure enough, there it is.

:asian: :asian:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am surprised that no one mention that you wouldn't actually dothis technique in teh street that it is a tol to teach you some concepts.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I am surprised that no one mention that you wouldn't actually dothis technique in teh street that it is a tol to teach you some concepts.
Really Rob, I didn't know the technique was limited, would you explain that statement?

DarK LorD

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The techniques were never designed to be used in their entirety on the street they are designed to help us learn the principles and concepts of American Kenpo. We all strive to spontaneity phase where there really are no longer techniques just doing what has to be done.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
The techniques were never designed to be used in their entirety on the street they are designed to help us learn the principles and concepts of American Kenpo. We all strive to spontaneity phase where there really are no longer techniques just doing what has to be done.
Damn, didn't know that either. When did this happen?

DarK LorD

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
The techniques were never designed to be used in their entirety on the street
And just where did you acquire this information from?

Rob Broad said:
The techniques are designed to help us learn the principles and concepts of American Kenpo.
I agree with this as 1 important point of learning... however, there ARE many more.

Rob Broad said:
We all strive to spontaneity phase where there really are no longer techniques just doing what has to be done.
This statement also has merit, however, when you actually do respond in some fashion to an attack...... isn't that series of movements that you do, possibly considered a techniques in itself?

:)

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was relaying what I have heard at countless seminars over the years. As I don't get to as many seminars I like these days being up in Northern Ontario. I am trying to rember whether it was Joe Palanzo or Dennis Tosten who told a room of about 90 people that the techniques were to be vessels to help us learn the principle and concepts, that they were created to help us learn how to defend ourselves.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I was relaying was I have heard at countless seminars over the years. As I don't get to as many seminars I like these days being up in Northern Ontario. I am trying to rember whether it was Joe Palanzo or Dennis Tosten who told a room of about 90 people that the techniques were to be vessels to help us learn the principle and concepts, that they were created to help us learn how to defens ourselves.
I hear ya and there is some truth to the statement ....... I have heard the same from many as well, however, lets not limit our system to only one description of just what any of the material was created for, I mean, Ed Parker himself never said this....... and it's his system. They could be used as you described, but then again, many of the so called techniques can and have been done on the street as well.

None of us can change what others say in seminars.. but let logic guide you in your analyzations of the material. I personally have actually done a complete technique in the street..... and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one to say this (and no.... at the time..... I wasn't trying to accomplish this either ).

:asian:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually GD7 you and I had this conversation the day I met you in Dec of 2000, and now that I am thinking more of it I am quite sure that if was Mr. Palanzo who made the statement.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Actually GD7 you and I had this conversation the day I met you in Dec of 2000, and now that I am thinking more of it I am quite sure that if was Mr. Palanzo who made the statement.
Quite possible...... anyone can say anything...... lol

:)

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I was relaying what I have heard at countless seminars over the years. As I don't get to as many seminars I like these days being up in Northern Ontario. I am trying to rember whether it was Joe Palanzo or Dennis Tosten who told a room of about 90 people that the techniques were to be vessels to help us learn the principle and concepts, that they were created to help us learn how to defend ourselves.
You should really get out and see more Kenpo than you have Rob.

DarK LorD

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok so he grabs your right hand, and you try to kick him. He pulls you down, now what. You are stuck, better be able to think on your feet.

Latest Discussions